3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why no Safety Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Why no Safety Ratings

Why is there no safety ratings on the 2015 Fits?

The window sticker on my new 2015 Honda Fit EX w/CVT just shows "Not Rated" in all of the Government 5-Star Safety Ratings.

My salesperson told me to go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the ratings would be there.

Uh, no they are not:

2015 Honda Fit 5 HB FWD | Safercar -- NHTSA

Last edited by CIOWN; 09-29-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CIOWN

The window sticker on my new 2015 Honda Fit EX w/CVT just shows "Not Rated" in all of the Government 5-Star Safety Ratings.

My salesperson told me to get to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the ratings would be there.

Uh, no they are not:

Try going here:

Vehicle details

Old 09-29-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by CIOWN

My salesperson told me to go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the ratings would be there.

Uh, no they are not:

Your dealer was mistaken. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) does not rate every new car built:

From their FAQ:
10. How does NHTSA choose vehicles to rate?
Each year, NHTSA tests a sample of new vehicles predicted to have high sales volume or vehicles that have been structurally redesigned. Tested vehicles are purchased from dealerships across the country; the vehicles are not supplied directly to NHTSA by the manufacturer, a common misperception.

Though NHTSA is unable to rate every car, all vehicles sold in the U.S. must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Source: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+FAQ

Originally Posted by Vanguard
Try going here:

Vehicle details
^^^ Yeah this is a good link to the IIHS rating of the 2015 Honda Fit

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is an independent, nonprofit scientific and educational organization dedicated to reducing the losses — deaths, injuries and property damage — from crashes on the nation's roads.

Notice also that by the IIHS rating system that the 2015 Honda Fit is one of only two in it's class that got the "Top Safety Pick" rating...

See here: 2014 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICKs

Old 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM
NHTSA has not tested the new Fit yet. That's all. They will get to it.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Fox944
NHTSA has not tested the new Fit yet. That's all. They will get to it.
We know they have not tested the new Fit yet. What makes you say they will? They don't test every new car.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Fat_man
We know they have not tested the new Fit yet. What makes you say they will? They don't test every new car.
They will test any high-volume-sales car, usually after the car has been in service for a year or so after a major design revision. That allows the manufacturer to fix any design defects (like Honda's bumper) prior to the test and that the tests remain relevant for most of the life of the design.

In the meantime, the IIHS ratings will have to do:

"Good" on everything but small overlap front, just "acceptable" on that test.