3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda customer service sucks..

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Honda customer service sucks..

I really wanted to like this car but this whole experience with the dealership, defects and shotty repairs done on my vehicle that devalues it, really is getting on my nerves. Not a good experience with the Honda customer service agent Johnathan. Received a call from Johnathan directly to tell me my dealership was not going to replace my windows even though they replaced my windshield do to the same issue. Also told me my dealership said they showed the honda rep in the area pictures of my windshield when the affected windows were all the side and rear one and a bulletin Saying what effects Hydroflouric acid has on windows & that MIGHT be the cause for my window issues. What I don't get is how come they replaced my windshield with the issues, but not the rest of my windows? When it is clearly the same issue.

Last edited by BLXFITTY; 09-30-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Where does the hydroflouric? or hydrocloric? acid come into play here

Old 09-30-2014, 04:10 PM
the dealers automatic car wash.. I never wash my own car.. and the place I bring it to I've brought all my cars there no problems (ITS A HAND CAR WASH). So the dealers automatic car wash is my best guess. I think that's just a cop out so they don't have to fix it.. I think it acquired them during transport but what do I know, My windshield had the issue but that was replaced.. now they are saying my other windows are caused by hydroflouric acid.

Last edited by BLXFITTY; 09-30-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Thats a bummer. I would keep after them and keep good pictures. Lemon law if nothing else I guess, I mean if they won't work with you it kind of leaves you no choice. I had a good experience with HCS but that doesn't mean you would. A reputable manufacturer should do whatever it takes to keep the customer. If the glass is not right they should take care of it. I bet they wouldn't accept that answer if it were their car. Keep us informed.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Found this and its the first time I have read about this issue. Something to think about.

"Q: I had my Honda Accord detailed, and when it was returned, I noticed significant water spots on my rear-view mirrors and the outside of the back window. I can only assume they were using hard water and did not wipe the windows fast enough. Although I'd like to hold them responsible, proving it was their fault is difficult. I have tried to remove the spots using a slightly diluted white vinegar solution, and also with a baking soda/vinegar mixture, with zero results. Is there any product to remedy this? Any suggestions, short of replacing the glass and mirrors?

— L.Q., Batavia, Ill.

A: We have a hunch the problem may have been caused by hydrofluoric acid (HF). It etches glass. Hydrofluoric acid is used in many automatic carwashes because it does an excellent job of removing brake dust, road grime and rust — and it is inexpensive. Diluted properly, it leaves cars sparking clean, but higher concentrations etch glass. We know of no way to remedy this. You may be able to feel the etching with your fingernail. The professional carwash industry generally decries HF, but some operators still insist on using it, especially to clean wheels. HF is insidiously dangerous, since it doesn't cause skin burns that you can feel as other acids do. Instead, it seeps through tissue, eats into bones and turns the calcium into calcium fluoride. It may take hours before the burn victim realizes it."

Old 09-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
"... HF is insidiously dangerous, since it doesn't cause skin burns that you can feel as other acids do. Instead, it seeps through tissue, eats into bones and turns the calcium into calcium fluoride. It may take hours before the burn victim realizes it."

This is the scariest shit I have ever read... holy crap!

It eats my car and my bones??? Really???

Old 09-30-2014, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
I WILL be continuing to washing my car myself!

Last edited by exl500; 09-30-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat_man

This is the scariest shit I have ever read... holy crap!

It eats my car and my bones??? Really???

I will never use an automatic brushless car wash again!!! I had no idea this chemical was used (hydrofluoric acid). Nothing but hand washes from now on.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:02 PM
yep.. I've ever only used one automatic car wash and it was in my 06 civic coupe and that scratched my hood. So I've never used automatic car washes since then.. Only at the dealership when I bought the fit, before they do anything or after they do something to the car they drive it through the car wash. I knew I should've told them not to take my car through the car wash. It also leaves swirls in the paint! and I thought that was bad.. now it eats my car and me alive..

Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by BLXFITTY
the dealers automatic car wash.. I never wash my own car.. and the place I bring it to I've brought all my cars there no problems (ITS A HAND CAR WASH). So the dealers automatic car wash is my best guess. I think that's just a cop out so they don't have to fix it.. I think it acquired them during transport but what do I know, My windshield had the issue but that was replaced.. now they are saying my other windows are caused by hydroflouric acid.

I don't understand, if the dealer's car wash has hydrofluoric acid and that's the only automatic car wash you have been to and the dealer is saying acid hurt your glass then the dealer is admitting that they hurt your glass... how does that relieve them of responsibility??? Either the dealer is responsible for hurting your glass or Honda is responsible for giving your defective glass... either way the dealer replaces the glass. What are they saying is the reason they won't? Are they denying there is acid in their car wash? If so, then where is it that their theory has your car getting acidified???

This sounds like a lawsuit to me on several grounds...

So sorry you are having these troubles!!! What a nightmare...

Old 09-30-2014, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
I am sorry you are having these problems. It sounds like the dealer admitted they caused the problem with the car wash and are not taking responsibility. Wonder if an email, letter or phone call to Honda Corporate would help.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Wow, I never heard of HF being used in car washes, but a quick search of the American Chemical Society brought up a couple of papers on it!

Makes me glad that I consider washing my car to be a personal thing, not a machine thing.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:26 AM
I say call up Honda and talk to another representative to get the dealer or another to fix it.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:06 AM
It rains a lot here in Florida, so I will mother nature, and the acid rain do the washing for me....

Old 10-01-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't understand, if the dealer's car wash has hydrofluoric acid and that's the only automatic car wash you have been to and the dealer is saying acid hurt your glass then the dealer is admitting that they hurt your glass... how does that relieve them of responsibility??? Either the dealer is responsible for hurting your glass or Honda is responsible for giving your defective glass... either way the dealer replaces the glass. What are they saying is the reason they won't? Are they denying there is acid in their car wash? If so, then where is it that their theory has your car getting acidified???

Johnathan told me they are not sure which car wash caused it and have no way of proving either or. So I'm SOL

Old 10-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Johnathan told me they are not sure which car wash caused it and have no way of proving either or. So I'm SOL
Go up the ladder to someone higher than a guy responsible for watching the forums.

No matter how friendly the guy is, it's either Honda's problem or the dealer's problem. They want you to go away and eat the loss. If it's important to you hold their feet to the fire.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:05 PM
I recently just got a 2015 Fit and I love it, so it is disheartening to see another owner having issues with his vehicle.

I can see both sides as an owner because there is an issue with the vehicle and it should be corrected. On the other side, the argument is, this really a manufacturer's defect. The warranty only covers defects and if it is indeed some type of acid then that is considered to be an outside influence. Is it Honda's fault? No. If it happened at the dealer, then yes it is the dealer's issue and they need to resolve it. Honda can possibly speak to the dealership to see if they are willing to accept responsibility for the issue but it will be entirely up to the dealer of course.

I hope the OP gets his issue resolved to his satisfaction! I understand how this can totally sour the new car buying experience.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Honda customer service used to be great. Since getting the 2015 Fit, however, it has absolutely sucked. Now, it is on a par with GM. Once they got your money, it is adios.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:54 PM

They can get away with whatever they can get away with. Right and wrong doesn't matter. They know full well the lawsuit will cost more than the value of the car, and 99.9% of customers will just go away.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:07 PM
yep.. I've ever only used one automatic car wash and it was in my 06 civic coupe and that scratched my hood. So I've never used automatic car washes since then.. Only at the dealership when I bought the fit, before they do anything or after they do something to the car they drive it through the car wash. I knew I should've told them not to take my car through the car wash. It also leaves swirls in the paint! and I thought that was bad.. now it eats my car and me alive..
You ARE sure which car wash caused it! There was only one car wash your car ever saw and it was THEIRS. You tell them that! You look the dealer right in the eye and you say: "You are telling me that an automatic car wash caused this problem. Lets just say I accept your explanation for the sake of argument. There is only one car wash this car has ever seen. It's yours, so you just told me YOUR car wash wrecked my glass. Either you accept that or you are calling me a liar. Are you saying I'm a liar?"

Here is another possible tack to take:
"You made a warranty claim on the front windshield of my car charging Honda for damage YOUR car wash did. Maybe I should call Honda and tell them about your fraudulent warranty claim that they had to pay the cost of. Or are you saying that your car wash magically only damaged my side windows but that the front window was defective from Honda? I wonder if Honda would agree with your explanation."

Here is another possible tack to take:
"Maybe I should go to the local BBB and the local consumer reporter at XYZ news station and explain the shoddy way you are treating me"

Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Go up the ladder to someone higher than a guy responsible for watching the forums.

No matter how friendly the guy is, it's either Honda's problem or the dealer's problem. They want you to go away and eat the loss. If it's important to you hold their feet to the fire.
And yeah, before you do any of the crap I just said listen to George here and talk to Honda corporate. Each time you speak with someone ask them who their supervisor is and go up the chain until you get satisfaction. Ask them what is their procedure for filing written complaints about dealers and/or product. And then, file formal written complaints. Keep notes and document every step you take and every answer you are given. You will need this info if you talk to any of the following: a news reporter, or an attorney, or a government consumer protection agency, or whoever might later wish to help you get satisfaction.

Don't give up! Good luck with this...

Quick Reply: Honda customer service sucks..