3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Peripheral Headlight Vision

Old 12-29-2014, 11:19 AM
What color are the bulbs? Are they the regular halogen/soft white or cool white/blue?

Old 12-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Looking on Advance Auto Parts website, the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb does not fit the 2015 FIT.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
Looking on Advance Auto Parts website, the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb does not fit the 2015 FIT.
I just spoke with Sylvania customer service rep. As of now there are no upgraded plug in bulbs, silverstar or ultra for the 2015 FIT. They will check on possible future availability and email me back. I will pass on what I learn in this forum topic. Bill

Old 12-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
What color are the bulbs? Are they the regular halogen/soft white or cool white/blue?
These Sylvania superlight ultra are listed as whitest/brightest.
Not available for the 2015 FIT yet.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, I did a search on Amazon and it too said the same thing so guess we'll have to wait for them to make it available for 2015 FIT.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:40 PM
is there a way to keep the fogs on all the time?even with the hi beams on?

Old 12-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by yellow wolf
is there a way to keep the fogs on all the time?even with the hi beams on?
Probably not without a mod. With high beams on, they want you looking down the roa, not up close where the fog lights illuminate.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
Probably not without a mod. With high beams on, they want you looking down the roa, not up close where the fog lights illuminate.

yeah but on tight twisty road at nite every little bit helps!!!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
The 2015 Fit uses ordinary H4/HB2/9003 bulbs for the headlamps, so I'm not certain where the misinformation that there are no available upgrades stems from.

For a true performance upgrade, I'd suggest either the Philips X-treme Vision or the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited, though be aware that by virtue of their design and the compromises required, bulb life will be less than with a standard bulb.

You can find both of these options at: Headlights, Car Lights, Headlight Bulb, Car Bulbs, Car Light Bulbs | PowerBulbs

Old 12-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Padawan
The 2015 Fit uses ordinary H4/HB2/9003 bulbs for the headlamps, so I'm not certain where the misinformation that there are no available upgrades stems from.

For a true performance upgrade, I'd suggest either the Philips X-treme Vision or the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited, though be aware that by virtue of their design and the compromises required, bulb life will be less than with a standard bulb.

You can find both of these options at: Headlights, Car Lights, Headlight Bulb, Car Bulbs, Car Light Bulbs | PowerBulbs
Thanks for your reply.
I called the Osram/Sylvania automotive lighting customer service number 1-800-347-3420. Asked the service rep about the silver star ultra bulbs for the 2015 Honda Fit. She asked for the standard bulb number. I gave bulb numbers H4/HB2, from page 373 of owners manual. NOTE THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS NOTHING ABOUT 9003 NUMBER. She could find no Silverstar Ultra bulb for those numbers. It may be she needed the 9003 number also. She said she would have someone check further and email me with reply. She said they were short staffed during this holiday week so she may have been filling in for the regular rep. It will be interesting what their reply is. I first checked the Advance Auto Parts website for this bulb and there was none listed for the 2015 Fit. I then called Osram.
Are you using either of the bulbs you recommend?
These forums are very helpful.
Bill

Old 12-29-2014, 06:13 PM
correct cost $
Originally Posted by Padawan

Thank you,
I went to the link you provided and decided to order the Phillips Extreme Vision 130%, based on customer reviews. They had 20% off coupon and free ship. Cost $32.95 Bill

Last edited by BILLBOGEY; 12-31-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: correct cost $
Old 12-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Word of warning to those of you interested in the Silverstars:

They are a decent bulb for the price, but I killed mine in 6 months. I don't think they play well with the DRLs. I had a set of Osram Nightbreakers before that that lasted about a year.

If you are looking for more side coverage, those are not the bulbs for you (the Nightbreakers). Insanely tight front coverage, and bright, but I think the reflectors sacrifice some on the sides.

I have had Silverstars in the past on many cars and they lasted much longer, which is why I think they don't like the DRL function much.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Very Helpful!!

This is all great feedback/information. Thanks to all!

Old 12-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
These Sylvania superlight ultra are listed as whitest/brightest.
Not available for the 2015 FIT yet.
The fit headlight bulbs are H4/9003 standard. This bulb is made in H4/9003.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Because there seems to be some confusion, I thought I'd lend some info from a true lighting nerd.

Here's how this works: All halogen bulbs are essentially the same in terms of technology (IR-reflective envelopes excluded for the purposes of this conversation). Halogen automotive bulbs are limited by law in terms of how much VA (wattage) they can draw. So the only way to get more light out of a bulb given a limited draw is by making a filament that's driven closer its insta-flash point (the voltage at which the bulb goes "pop" the second the voltage is applied) by your vehicle's nominal voltage. This is due to an interesting phenomenon in how resistive filament bulbs work.

Tungsten-filiment bulbs are less efficient (in terms of lumens per watt of energy consumed) the further they are driven from their boiling point (or flash point). They will also put out a warmer color temperature and last longer. As filaments are driven hotter and hotter, they actually produce more light per watt and produce a cooler color temperature. The downside of running the bulbs closer to their boiling point is that more halogen atoms boil off of the surface of the filament per second, reducing the life of the bulb.

It frustrates me when people criticize bulbs like silverstar ultras or nightbreakers for short bulb life, as that is an inherent and unavoidable consequence of producing more light output with the same amount of energy consumed with the same technology (halogen).

The reason these bulbs may last longer in one car than another has to do with what determines the drive % of the bulb. All cars' charging systems will produce a slightly different nominal voltage. Say 13.8V for one car and 13.6V for another. When a bulb is driven to only 80% of it's insta-flash voltage, this difference is miniscule, but when a bulb is driven to 95% of its insta-flash voltage (in the case of high-performance halogen bulbs) small variances will have a much larger relative impact on the life of a bulb. Poorly regulated systems which have a larger degree of nominal voltage regulation can also have a negative impact on bulb life as the amount of time spent nearing 100% insta-flash voltage takes a HUGE toll on bulb life.

So yeah sorry to all of you who took the time to read this, lol.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
@NotBlake:

A very informative post. So to keep these high performance bulbs from reaching insta-flash voltage is to have a very stable power supply or regulator which most cars don't have. So it would explain why they keep these bulbs at 80% to get most of the lifespan.

Probably not cost effective to invest in a power regulator for these bulbs.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Fog light is a misnomer, they are useful for things other than fog, such as driving at low speeds in a poorly lit residential area. I had a Subie that had them and I found them very useful for that purpose, I could see the curbside and anyone standing near the edge of the street much better. They were nice to have for making a turn across a crosswalk, that much easier to see if any pedestrians were there.

I sold my Subie and bought an 06 Scion Xb, for some reason that car's headlights made a wider beam and it didn't really need any help from fog lights, which was good because it didn't have any.

My 07 Fit is a base, so it doesn't have any fog lights, but it could use them. One of these days I'm going to install a basic set from the autoparts store, maybe even angle them a bit to the sides for better coverage of the curb area.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by DArkk
@NotBlake:

A very informative post. So to keep these high performance bulbs from reaching insta-flash voltage is to have a very stable power supply or regulator which most cars don't have. So it would explain why they keep these bulbs at 80% to get most of the lifespan.

Probably not cost effective to invest in a power regulator for these bulbs.
You got it. This also explains why "long life" bulbs are dim and yellow.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:50 PM
Had silver stars in my Cressida and Geo for two years, Grom for one. No issue. A battery is a cars primary capacitor. When it gets weak it stresses everthing.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:42 PM
One more thing.. I've decided not to lower my 2011 Fit, just put bigger wheels and low profile tires on it, to take up most of the space in the wheel well. Will 17's do it? If I order them myself from Tire Rack or somewhere, exactly what size should I get?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Peripheral Headlight Vision