3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Scraped front bumper edge on new '15 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Scraped front bumper edge on new '15 Fit

I'm an idiot! Now that I have that out of the way...

Was backing out of a parking space today, watching the rear view camera on my '15 EX. Unfortunately I was parked to close to a side curb and put a scrape along the underside edge of the passenger side front bumper.

No cracks or anything, but a nice scrape, partially visible at the bottom of the bumper. I feel lousy since we took delivery just over a week ago (and it's my wife's car).

I know cars get bonked and stuff happens, but I wish I could have at least gotten six months out of the Fit before it got dinged.

Having never owned a similar vehicle, not sure how to proceed with repairs. Is it recommended I go to the body shop for an estimate, and if so, would how is the material repaired/replaced? Is this something that falls under DIY? Now the car is "tainted" to me. Sounds stupid, I know, but I'm venting here.

Recommendations from others in the same boat? Many thanks for letting me vent and I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that... Inevitable you'll get some battle scars over time. There are guys that come out to your house that can do fairly inexpensive bumper repair, just like the mobile dent PDR guys. You might call your favorite PDR person for a recommendation.

Last edited by tbFit; 12-21-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
ScratchX worked wonders when I discovered I had been hit in a parking lot.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
I know Scratch X is good, but not for this situation. It's a scrape, into the plastic on the bumper. It scraped up against a concrete curb so it's pretty rough. About five inches in length and varying in width from 1/4" to about 2". I'll try and get a pic soon.

No dent either. I think it's going to require a pro at a body shop. My wife is not upset but I would like to fix it for her (and me).

Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Simple fix,same happened on my 2009 Sport. Get 60,120,400,600 grit wet sand paper. Start with 60 grit first to smooth out gouges. Work your way down to 600 grit to finish feathering into original paint so spray primer and paint has something to hold to. Mask off any unwanted areas that you don't want paint or over spray on, if needed. Primer spot ,may need up to 3 coats and 600 wet sand before final color coat. Honda Duplicolor touch up spray paint at Auto Zone. Spray 2-3 color coats with very light sand each coat with worn 600 and finish up with polish compound or Scratch X when paint dries,depending how good of job you did to blend in and remove over spray haze from original paint. Did my 2009 Fit Sport{Milano red} and dealer went all over for body damage carefully when I traded it for 2015 and never noticed it. Total cost $25 and my labor,half day prep and dry time for primer and paint.

I see you are in Lancaster,Pa and I am in York. Unless you have a heated garage,and you could wait until warmer weather we could meet up and I can show you how or I could do it for a small fee. I have a garage,but with canoes,bikes,tools there isn't much room with door closed to work,and my garage isn't heated. May just want to wait until spring,it's plastic and won't rust,and who knows this winter you may end up with cinder chips in the paint that could be addressed at that time as well.

PaFitter

Last edited by PaFitter; 12-20-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by larry0212
I know Scratch X is good, but not for this situation. It's a scrape, into the plastic on the bumper. It scraped up against a concrete curb so it's pretty rough. About five inches in length and varying in width from 1/4" to about 2". I'll try and get a pic soon.

No dent either. I think it's going to require a pro at a body shop. My wife is not upset but I would like to fix it for her (and me).

Thanks for the replies.
In the mean time, I recommend Scotch, to take the edge off.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
PaFitter: Thanks for the info. And we are practically neighbors. I used to work in York County. If the cost to have it done by a pro is more than I want to deal with, your method is a good one.

Vanguard: Southern Comfort is my liquid refreshment of choice this time of year. Mixes great with egg nog.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Well Larry I am pretty sure the pro job will be in excess of $100. Mine was easy because of non metallic paint. They will be using pro products,but same methods. Duplicolor metallics aren't usually same grain metallic and usually show up. If not in direct plain view , home method may suffice depending how fussy you are. Not sure what your Fit color is so a pro may be the way to go. I do have a compressor and my spray gun,but pro paint is expensive even just for small job.

I worked in garage/body shop long ago after high school and have repaired many a minor dent and minor body jobs. I used to work in a garage in Millersville and MU college kids with little money would seek me out if needing body work for state inspection. Terry Madonna WGAL's political analyst was one such kid. Beer or Pot from the guys,dates with the ladies was my payment. Can say the payment from the ladies was a bit more rewarding. LOL Oh to the live the 70's again.

BTW, I was near a life long resident of Lancaster County{Conestoga/Mountville} until divorce {2008}and job in Maryland necessitated moving to York for easier/closer 83 access.

Good Luck.

Last edited by PaFitter; 12-21-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Update: Took the Fit to Honda body shop. Estimate to fix the curb rash just at $500.00. They want to take the bumper and trim off, do a (relatively simple) repair on the scrape, then repaint and clear coat the bumper. Two day job; overnight stay.

I have another body shop nearby that has done work for me before, and they are excellent. I'll see what they have to say, estimate-wise. Because of the location, the rash isn't readily visible, so I'm thinking that a slight difference in the paint (passion berry something-or-other) over time won't be too visible.

Of course there's the likelihood that something else will hit/scrape/ding the bumper in the meantime, probably right after the repair is done

Old 12-27-2014, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by larry0212
Of course there's the likelihood that something else will hit/scrape/ding the bumper in the meantime, probably right after the repair is done
Unless you start paying attention while operating a 1+ ton weapon.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:37 PM
I scraped my crv bumper when I still had it, I opted for professional fix, it ran about 400 to fix professionally. I would not recommend DIY for paint fix.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
at least your bumper doesn't look like this! i was parked, came back out and was like WTF?!!!! This car is also on a lease too! So I think at the final year of lease, I'll have them repaint it since it might get hit again.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks man! I've had asshat folks did that to my previous car but not as bad as yours.

Lucky it's the bumper not the metal part of the car so it's easily repairable.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Yesterday I noticed that I also must have hit a parking barrier. I also have a scrape under the front bumper, but on the driver's side. You have to get down on the ground to see it, but it's bad enough that ScratchX didn't do much good.

Ugh...well, I suppose it had to happen eventually. I have to remember the car is so small I don't need to pull it all the way in to a spot.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
Yesterday I noticed that I also must have hit a parking barrier. I also have a scrape under the front bumper, but on the driver's side. You have to get down on the ground to see it, but it's bad enough that ScratchX didn't do much good.

Ugh...well, I suppose it had to happen eventually. I have to remember the car is so small I don't need to pull it all the way in to a spot.
Thanks, I will try to remember this. I usually try to park where I can just pull straight out, hate backing out in parking lots.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:55 PM
I plan on installing a clear bra.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mecevans
I plan on installing a clear bra.
That's not going to help if you can't help crashing into curbs.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
That's not going to help if you can't help crashing into curbs.

You must be fun at parties.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Google clear bra saved paint.

Name:  Film_coming_off_3_small_file1_zpsinuyktx1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  113.4 KB
Name:  Film_coming_off_5_small_file1_zpsnjjuxacn.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  122.7 KB

Last edited by mecevans; 01-02-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 PM
IMO it feels like the paint peels (not scrapes, PEELS) really easily. I was really disappointed in how it happened so easily.

Quick Reply: Scraped front bumper edge on new '15 Fit