3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Finally bought my fit... and got into an accident on the way home.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:52 PM
Update page 2 -- Finally bought my fit... and got into an accident on the way home.

UPDATED ON PAGE 2!!! Finally getting her back!!!!!!!!

My fit journey started back in 2013. I was about to turn 22, and I drove an 05 taurus that was a parental gifts. It had all sorts of issues, one of them being abysmal mileage (Under 15 mpg). I began making plans to buy a car in the future.

I was still starting out in life then, and I knew I couldn't afford one right then, or any car, but I knew I wanted a Fit. It was the first car I ever loved on sight. I thought it was really beautiful. Shortly after making this decision, my car died on me. I was 21, making terrible money, without a car. My car needed a 2000$ repair (among other things) and it wasn't worth it. I junked it and drove a motorcycle I own for four months while looking.

I wanted a fit but... It didn't seem right. There was no 2014 model, and I figured- if I'm going to buy a car, I'd like a new one, and I'd like to be able to afford it. So, I went to craigslist, and I bought a 1000$ beater car when my tax return came in. A 2001 hyundai accent. She was a stick, and I love that little car. No AC, no radio, manual windows, but I learned to drive stick and it was glorious. I told myself I'd stick this out- I'd keep her as long as I could and then I'd buy the fit.

Fast forward to this year. I'm 23, I've saved money, and despite living in florida, my hands freeze when I drive to work. My car drives fine still; but my roommate is carless and I frequently let her borrow the accent and I take my bike to work. I wanted to sell the roommate the accent (For what I paid for it, the little girl runs just fine.) and buy something nicer for myself.

I knew I was going to buy the 2015 fit, so I did. I got exactly what I want. A year ago I had barely 600 credit and overmaxed credit cards; now I've paid off a lot of that debt, I had a modest amount of money to put down, and I was able to score a 3.99% interest rate.

She was gorgeous. A manual (I had fallen in love with manual cars while driving the accent) and an LX. I bought it and I drove home, the happiest I've ever been. Like, I shit you not- I was so proud of how far I'd come and what I've accomplished in the last 12 months. I come home, grab the roommates and drive back to the dealer so one of them can drive my old car home.

This is where the story turns sad.

On the way home from the dealer, I was rear ended. To make a long story short, it was very foggy, I needed to merge into a left turning lane to turn left at a light onto the highway, so I slowed down and turned my signal on. I was following one roommate who was driving my old car in front of me. I turned my light on and started slowing down a bit early; it was hard to see and the turning lane was shorter than I expected, so instead of instantly merging left, I just sort of moved into the left part of my lane (there was a median to my left, I had to drive about 15 more feet to reach the turning lane) when I feel the car behind me smash into me.

I think he thought I was going to turn, and didn't attempt to slow down. When he realized I wasn't leaving the lane, he was going too fast, and slammed on his breaks and swerved to avoid me.

I felt the crash and stopped my car and laid my head on the wheel and just started to cry. All that excitement and pride and happiness vanished in an instant. My passenger (a second roommate who had chosen to ride with me on what should have been a day of victory) turned to me and said "do you want me to handle this" and got out of the car to deal with the other driver.

I don't know how long I stayed in that car, scared to get out and face the damages.

It wasn't too bad though, not totaled at least. Thank god. I hadn't bought gap insurance -- every intention, but I didn't want to buy it from the dealer, I wanted to buy it from the financing company and they weren't open when I had left the lot.

Even more fortunately, the man who hit me had insurance. His car (1999 toyota tacoma truck) was completely screwed, but I just had really bad bumper damage. The bumper was digging into the rear passenger tire, so I had to be towed. I was not at fault.

Still sad though.

TLDR: Joined the fit family after lurking here for a year. Immediately got into a fender bender. Can't wait until I get me *new* (refurbished?) fit back. Still sad. But thankful for insurance.

Will edit with photos!

edit: PHOTOS!

Car on lot before leaving... So beautiful ::Imgur

Crash Photos: https://i.imgur.com/bhvYYR2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PxQDcFz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eRpBLCH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/71Io8jH.jpg

Last edited by Slink78; 02-12-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
sucks dude, glad you guys made it out safely and worked out with insurance.

Dean

Old 01-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Man I can relate. When I got my last car, Ford Mustang, I got into a crash the first night I owned it. It was the worst feeling ever.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you worked really hard for it and did all the right things. At least he had insurance and you will be able to get it fixed. I bet you won't be able to tell the difference after you get that car back from the shop.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Sorry about your luck. Posting photos and details online is the last thing I'd do before that claim is settled.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Thats really awful to hear. Glad everyone was OK tho. Hope your Fit gets well soon.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Man that sucks to hear. What insurance do you have? Reminds me of the Allstate commercial about new car replacement.

New Car Replacement - Allstate

Also hopefully you got a police report just to cover all basis.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:33 PM
Its always been a fear of mine -getting in an accident on the first ride.

I do think there is some amount of psychology about it.

Anyway I got mine home safe today

Sorry it happened to you

Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
gap insurance would be nice in this situation.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:55 PM
I hope your Fit gets well soon. I got mine two weeks ago and i don't know what i would do if i were you

Old 01-15-2015, 08:49 AM
As far as insurance goes, it's been a smooth process and I'm very lucky the other driver had insurance from a reputable company. It's made this easier. They'll fix my baby, they say she's definitely fixable, but it's going to take a couple weeks to get the needed parts in. I was so distraught on day one, but now I'm just really happy my passenger wasn't hurt and that the car wasn't totalled.

Not sure if I mentioned above, but I got gap insurance through my lender, but because I bought the car at roughly 8 pm, I wasn't able to purchase gap insurance before I left the lot and got home. I bought it the next day, and I don't think it applies to an accident that already happened But fortunately, the fit'll be fine, it's just been a stressful experience.

What I did experience though was beautiful. I miss it already and can't wait till they are done with her!

Old 01-15-2015, 05:17 PM
You're lucky, your car has been predisasterized. Nothing can happen to you now.

Get it fixed and go back to enjoying your new car.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
gap insurance would be nice in this situation.
How so? The car doesn't look like it will be totaled.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Man, your story sounds like the dumbest $#% ever. You signalled and changed lanes and some idiot just smashes into your car... Woooow. Someone should have his licence revoked. At least you weren't injuered. Sucks you damaged your new car but look on the bright side, you could have been killed or maimed so at least you are physically alright.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:04 PM
Speaking of accidents,
my fit was also involved in a fender bender after about 3000 miles.
All fixed now by the other guys insurance, but still sucks.. First car i ever bought to so yeah fun lol.

Also in FL btw, must be a FL thing lol

Name:  UsCTbD7.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  919.0 KB

Old 01-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
Man, your story sounds like the dumbest $#% ever. You signalled and changed lanes and some idiot just smashes into your car... Woooow. Someone should have his licence revoked. At least you weren't injuered. Sucks you damaged your new car but look on the bright side, you could have been killed or maimed so at least you are physically alright.

you're not kidding. the guy who hit me-- his car didn't fare as well. My old car wouldn't have handled this as well... It isn't as well made.

And granted, if I hadn't bought the car I would not have been on that side of town... but before fit, I spent 95% of my time driving the motorcycle.... if anything similar happened in my bike I would not have been ok, so I'm thankful.

And from the guy who posted the fit in FL that was in an accident!!!

Yikes!! I hope they fixed this for you. And yeah, this was my first car too, which is a really dreadful feeling.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
That does really suck.

I have a friend who got hit within 30 seconds of leaving the dealership after buying a new car. She got rear ended while stopped at the traffic light about 200 yards from the dealership. Fortunately the damage wasn't too bad and she was fine.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Golly, I don't know what it is, but the first few weeks of owning my Fit, I had a couple of CLOSE calls that I had to do very drastic maneuvers to avoid really getting hit. Since then, it's been the typical idiots on the road to avoid.

"Drivers" are much worse now and that is one big reason I finally gave up on motorcycling. People just don't care anymore what they do to others. Drugs, alcohol, texting, speeding, not paying attention, etc, is the norm now days. It's sad but a fact of life.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 PM
That really sucks to hear considering how hard you worked to purchase the vehicle. At least the insurance company is pleasant to deal with. I've been in an accident and the other party's adjuster was a complete d!ck.

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is gap insurance? I don't think we have that in Canada.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:41 AM
Make sure you get a 'depreciation' payment for loss loss of value.

Quick Reply: Finally bought my fit... and got into an accident on the way home.