3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can't move driver's seat back far enough

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Can't move driver's seat back far enough

I bought this car for my wife and I like it very much, but I am unable to move the driver's seat back far enough for it to be comfortable for me. I am looking for a company that makes brackets that I can install to move the seat back. The only one I have found (Extend seat.com) does not make brackets for a Fit. Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Extendmyseat.com

The company sent me an email offering to have me drop my car off for two days and they would fashion brackets for me. The problem is I live in Virginia and they are in Los Angeles. Anyone living in LA with the same problem should contact them and maybe we can get the company to start making brackets for the Fit.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Just got my Fit yesterday. At 6'6" I can manage (anyone who is near to 6'6" is use to a bit of discomfort) but if a company made a bracket to extend things I'd be on it immediately

Old 03-01-2015, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Raising the front of the seat helped a lot with my long legs, and for more back comfort too since I felt like I was sliding forward off the seat when braking.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Counselor
The company sent me an email offering to have me drop my car off for two days and they would fashion brackets for me. The problem is I live in Virginia and they are in Los Angeles. Anyone living in LA with the same problem should contact them and maybe we can get the company to start making brackets for the Fit.

Try a local machine shop.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:51 PM
I was going to cut some for my car, if there is interest I could do a few sets. For me the drivers seat is fine, its the passenger seat that needs more room. I am also on the fence about just throwing in aftermarket seats and fabbing up some sliders.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Seat extenders

Rifleman,
If you have the ability to fabricate brackets for the DRIVER side, I would be interested.
Frank Lambert

Old 03-02-2015, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Same here Rifleman. If you can manage driverseat extensions I'd be interested

Old 03-04-2015, 12:53 PM
I love people how mod things to suit them perfectly. It's not my style, I just tend to cope with stuff.

That being said I'm 6' tall and mostly long legs no body and I fit pretty well in the driver seat. I really haven't sat in the passenger seat except for a couple minutes at the dealer when the sales person moved the car out of its space.

BTW I love how comfortable these seats are.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Remove dead pedal?

I'm 3 days into 2015 Fit ownership and I'm sorry to say the biggest thing on my mind is left knee discomfort. It took me 2 days to realize I really wish the driver's seat went back another click or two. But removing the dead pedal might make a difference, too. Anyone considered that? Would it even work? I don't love the idea of altering my Fit.

2015 Fit LX manual, Aegean Blue

Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't the dead pedal the other side of the wheel well?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes, raising the front of the seat has helped quite a few people gain needed leg room and provide more comfort.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
I was able to reach my fingers behind the carpet enough to feel that there's a piece of styrofoam that might be easily removed. But I wonder how lumpy the molded carpet would be after removing the block. I'm going to try to live with it as is for a little bit before taking any action. I'll report back if I do anything.

I've tried raising and lowering the seat as far as it goes and didn't notice any significant difference in leg room.

Another option would be moving the seat back. As the OP mentioned, extendmyseat.com makes such brackets for some vehicles, but not the Fit. I encourage anyone who's interested to contact them so they can gauge interest in creating some!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
I've gone ahead with removing the dead pedal.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by jefft
I've gone ahead with removing the dead pedal.
I'll be interested to know if your left foot is comfortable without the dead pedal to rest it on. Keep us posted.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
I'm only 5'8" and I can't move the driver's seat back far enough for my comfort.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
I'm only 5'8" and I can't move the driver's seat back far enough for my comfort.

Here is a fitfreak thread with a mod called Moving driver's seat back farther.

Last edited by Press Fit; 07-04-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503
Something must be wrong ..... I am 5'8" and can barely touch the pedals with the seat fully back

Old 07-04-2017, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Height by itself is a meaningless measure since it consists of both leg length (eg pants inseam) and your upper body trunk length. For people of the same height these two measurements can vary quite a bit. For example I have very short legs so I need pants with a short inseam (say 29") but my upper body is long so I typically have to buy shirts and jackets which are rated "long" or "tall". This shows up in a car where I tend to move a car seat somewhat more forward than friends who are a similar height as me (6') but have longer legs and thus need to move the same seat further back. Does this make sense?

Old 07-05-2017, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Height by itself is a meaningless measure since it consists of both leg length (eg pants inseam) and your upper body trunk length. For people of the same height these two measurements can vary quite a bit. For example I have very short legs so I need pants with a short inseam (say 29") but my upper body is long so I typically have to buy shirts and jackets which are rated "long" or "tall". This shows up in a car where I tend to move a car seat somewhat more forward than friends who are a similar height as me (6') but have longer legs and thus need to move the same seat further back. Does this make sense?
As I've said before in this forum, I have long arms, long torso and very short legs (26" inseam). I'm 5'6"). It takes some tweaking when I get a new car. Fortunately the Fit was easier to tweak than most. With the cuffs falling to the waist, the sleeve length is 32".

Quick Reply: Can't move driver's seat back far enough