3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Touch up paint

Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Unhappy Touch up paint

Has anyone tried touch up paint from the Honda dealerships? I recently bought my Honda Fit and I just discovered a few paint chips due to some heavy constructions I drive by daily. If anyone has any suggestions on using touch up paint they are appreciated it. Also what is the best way to prevent any further damage as it seems that the paint in the Fit is prone to this type of damages.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 AM
I usually get a bottle of touchup paint from the dealer for all my new cars, chips and scratches are inevitable, no matter the paint. They normally come with a brush attached to the lid, which is very handy. Shake very well and don't over apply. For deep chips, apply 2 coats to avoid paint runs (especially on vertical surfaces).

Old 03-10-2015, 09:37 AM
The Honda touch up paint is pretty good... it fills and matches well. I've used it on several spots large and small and it's easy to work with.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
If you want to try a non-OEM version, automototivetouchup.com has been great for me; colors always are spot-on, and they offer different sizes and methods of application.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
And use a toothpick to fill pits, not the big fat brush that it comes with.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:26 PM
I've been considering ordering the Langka chip repair kit with touch up paint from the dealer. Does anyone have experience with any of the touch up kits, Langka, Dr. Color Chip, etc.?

I've got a long, thin scratch on my door. I think my sponge had a piece of sand or something in it, that caused it. I'm just not sure what to use to get it out.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gitanaenid
Has anyone tried touch up paint from the Honda dealerships? I recently bought my Honda Fit and I just discovered a few paint chips due to some heavy constructions I drive by daily. If anyone has any suggestions on using touch up paint they are appreciated it. Also what is the best way to prevent any further damage as it seems that the paint in the Fit is prone to this type of damages.
I did get a Honda two-tip "paint pen" for touch ups when we bought our Fit. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it yet. The salesman did warn us that it's a tricky application and easy to mess it up. So much that he suggested we come in for someone to apply it for us (no charge) when the time comes.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
I've got a long, thin scratch on my door. I think my sponge had a piece of sand or something in it, that caused it. I'm just not sure what to use to get it out.
That's very unfortunate, especially if its on the drivers door where you will see it every time you step in the car. That's the problem with using sponges to wash a car, they can trap so much crap in all their cracks and crevices. Hopefully the touch up paint takes care of the scratch. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:46 PM
I've been considering ordering the Langka chip repair kit with touch up paint from the dealer. Does anyone have experience with any of the touch up kits, Langka, Dr. Color Chip, etc.?

If it's not too deep you might be able to buff it out.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:19 PM

Yes, you should first try to buff it out with a polishing compound. Claybar + polish + wax can do wonders. Mine had so many light scratches on it I just went ahead and claybared and polished the whole car. Came out looking much better and most of the small scratches came out. Even the larger ones were much less noticeable when I was done.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Paint problems

Please check out my post on White Orchid Paint issues. My car is only 3 months old and it is covered with chips that are growing. I think it may be other colors too, but the chips show up more easily on a white car. I do not drive by any heavy construction sites and my front end is covered with chips. Before you cover them up take pictures and let your dealer know. take it in, because I think you will find more in the future. Of course we assume it's our fault at first but I think there is a serious problem with the paint/quality control from the Mexico plant. I am trying to find a lawyer at this point.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Paint chip #2 discovered today upon detailing. 1200 miles on the odometer. Modern Steel Metallic. Not in front but on the front doors.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by sunsetswimmer
Please check out my post on White Orchid Paint issues. My car is only 3 months old and it is covered with chips that are growing. I think it may be other colors too, but the chips show up more easily on a white car. I do not drive by any heavy construction sites and my front end is covered with chips. Before you cover them up take pictures and let your dealer know. take it in, because I think you will find more in the future. Of course we assume it's our fault at first but I think there is a serious problem with the paint/quality control from the Mexico plant. I am trying to find a lawyer at this point.
FWIW, I traded in a BMW (Germany made) for my Fit, in part because because it had peeling clear coat, and it was only 5 years old! It seems the immediate reaction is to blame the Mexico plant, but I think most manufacturers are adjusting to these new paint formulations. Unfortunately us consumers hurt from it.

To answer OP's question, I've used Dr Color Chip, it does work, well enough. Another option is paintscratch.com, but in order to work with touch up like that you need to do some minor wet sanding and polishing. Generally speaking, manufacturer touch up can be off. I had a Toyota a few years ago I tried to touch up with manufacturer touch up paint and ended up with a bunch of darker than the car maroon spots. I've never gotten touch up from paintscratch.com that wasn't dead nuts on for the color.

Edit: Also to post about the paint chips, I got one huge paint chip about a week after I got the car, and haven't gotten another one since *knock on wood*. This is freeway driving in Houston, although I don't tailgate at all, I'm a 6-10 car length distance kind of guy.

Last edited by BigJoeTX; 03-16-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:40 AM
my first paint chip - mystic yellow pearl

I discovered my first paint chip today at 4400 miles . It's on the lower middle part of the hood.
I have been driving carefully, but oh well, I guess the odds were against me.
My color is mystic yellow pearl - Any touch-up recommendations from other Fit owners with the same color?? I noticed that in some of the websites their yellow is called "attract yellow pearl."
For those that have bought it, about how much did you pay for the touch-up paint?

Last edited by 2015FIT; 05-31-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:48 AM
I ordered mine from the dealer, Aegean metallic blue which is called new sporty metallic blue fire some reason. It cost about $8.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member

Langka Blob eliminator is AMAZING! Factory touch up paint + Langka can completely 100% coverup some scratches without every being able to tell they were there. Obviously it depends on the scratch or chip, but the stuff is pretty darn fantastic.

I just recently used it and I'm a believer. I will always have some in my car detailing kit from now on.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by andre181
Langka Blob eliminator is AMAZING! Factory touch up paint + Langka can completely 100% coverup some scratches without every being able to tell they were there. Obviously it depends on the scratch or chip, but the stuff is pretty darn fantastic.

I just recently used it and I'm a believer. I will always have some in my car detailing kit from now on.
Do you have any tips for getting the paint repair even with the surrounding paint? That's the only difficulty I have with it.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by andre181

Did you only purchase the Langka Blob Eliminator or the kit?? I hope to spend less by just getting the Blob Eliminator and the touch-up paint if that's enough to do a decent job. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
I just got the eliminator. Not the kit.

My tips for using it:

Clean surface well
For a chip - use a toothpick to fill in the chip with touch up paint.
For a scratch - use the touch up paint brush to cover scratch completely.
For both, you can't really use too much paint. Use a little extra to make sure the paint completely fills in the defect and it helps blend the color a little.
Let paint dry for at least 5 hours, especially for chips. The blobs take a while to fully dry.
Forget about using the card for the blob eliminator. It makes it harder.
Apply a good amount of the blob eliminator to the area with the touch up paint with a qtip or clean towel and let it sit for 2 minutes or so.
RUB RUB RUB the area with a clean towel until the excess paint starts to come off. Rub pretty hard.
In my experience, you'll need to add a little more blob eliminator and keep rubbing again. This time, don't rub as hard because you don't want to scrape the paint out of the scratch or chip. Go gentle this time.
Repeat again if necessary, but twice should be enough.
Once all the excess paint all gone and the defect is filled in, apply some sort of wax or paint sealant.

Using this method, I recently completely repaired 2 approx 3 inch long scratches that were both about 1/8th inch wide. I scratched up my bumper when I dropped it when I took it off last week. I was worried sick when it happen but now you can't even see where it happened.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 AM
I ordered mine from the dealer, Aegean metallic blue which is called new sporty metallic blue fire some reason. It cost about $8.
It's called Sporty Blue Metallic here in Singapore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touch up paint