3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Disable Rear View Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 AM
Disable Rear View Camera?

Is there a way to disable the backup camera on the LX? The Fit is such an easy car to park being so small and with large windows, that it's almost embarrassing to have the need for the camera.

Two of the three views looking directly behind are so distorted that they are completely useless, and to me, it's more of a distraction. It's just easier to rely on the mirrors, or [gasp] turn around and look behind while reversing. I've just gotten into the habit of ignoring the rear view completely since it's utterly useless.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:22 AM
If you're turning your head to look back you won't see the backup camera now will you??

Old 05-05-2015, 07:00 AM
I back into parking spots all the time, so I actually use mine a lot. It's extremely helpful in my case. You may want to check the owners manual to see if you can disable it, I just don't remember anymore.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Redd
If you're turning your head to look back you won't see the backup camera now will you??

Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Embarrassing ? Something wrong with you ? Did you know that many kids are killed each year when someone backs up ? Camera is really nice to have to prevent this from happening.

http://www.kidsandcars.org/back-overs.html

Last edited by SR45; 05-05-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Redd
Ahhhh....very good question and very observant! With any of us, backing up requires sometimes ensuring the front end clears an object while turning the wheel, and also checking the side view mirrors (especially when backing into my tight little parking space). Doing those glances, the changing view on the screen just sometimes catches my eye and is just distracting

Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 AM
The easy thing would be to just put a small piece of black tape over the camera ;-)

Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by SR45
Embarrassing ? Something wrong with you ? Did you know that many kids are killed each year when someone backs up ? Camera is really nice to have to prevent this from happening.

Okay, maybe wrong choice of word, but seriously, if someone can't back up a car the size of a Fit without assistance, then that's worrisome. I can see them being handy on a school bus or semi truck, but a subcompact car just is silly.

According to this CNN article, it's over 200 killed per year: While auto rule lingers 'under review,' death toll grows - CNNPolitics.com

Every child's life is precious and can't be downplayed, but doesn't anyone think that we are overreacting by requiring that all cars be modified to prevent this from happening, which isn't even a guarantee. Plus, shouldn't we take responsibility to look around our surroundings before piloting a one-ton hunk of metal?

To be honest, I think backup cameras may cause more incidents, as people are becoming too reliant on them. The view on many are skewed and don't accurately depict the surroundings or the depth of objects. The camera on the Fit makes objects behind the car look a lot further than they are, and it's not accurate enough to depend on.

An example of my concerns was posted on Edmunds last week, when one of their editors relied solely on the backup camera to reverse their long-term Toyota Highlander into a parking space. They never physically looked behind them and never saw the pipe that was sticking out of the wall a few feet above the ground, resulting in them smashing the rear window. Could've been totally prevented. Why You Shouldn't Always Rely on Technology - 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test

Or the ad for the Infiniti QX80 SUV, with the Mom backing up. She never looks behind her or looks around, but luckily the camera catches a car whizzing by as she's reversing. A simple glance around would've also spotted it.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, as I'm not from this country, but it seems like people here don't like claiming responsibility for their actions. They want to blame someone else, or have electronic nannies designed to compensate for either ignorance or laziness. Children being backed over is terrible, but look around the car and reverse slowly and take the effort to turn your head. I just came back from overseas and drove a 2015 model car with no airbags. I'm not suggesting we go back to that, but it was just an observation at the difference, and sometimes the hysteria here, that people have about safety equipment

Sorry, didn't mean for this to become a heated debate on a car forum, lol

Last edited by festiboi; 05-05-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Seriously though I think there is a way to disable it shown in the manual

I actually use mine with the wide angle to see if cars or people are coming from either side and I can't see that area because of cars around me blocking the view. That is really the only time I ever use it.

Last edited by Redd; 05-05-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:36 AM
You make some very salient points. festiboi: 1, haters: 0

Old 05-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by festiboi
Is there a way to disable the backup camera on the LX? The Fit is such an easy car to park being so small and with large windows, that it's almost embarrassing to have the need for the camera.

Two of the three views looking directly behind are so distorted that they are completely useless, and to me, it's more of a distraction. It's just easier to rely on the mirrors, or [gasp] turn around and look behind while reversing. I've just gotten into the habit of ignoring the rear view completely since it's utterly useless.

You are joking, right?

Old 05-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Stingray
You are joking, right?
No, absolutely serious. I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm the only one who feels this way. Oh well

Old 05-05-2015, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
I do both. I especially like the parking view.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by festiboi
Okay, maybe wrong choice of word, but seriously, if someone can't back up a car the size of a Fit without assistance, then that's worrisome. I can see them being handy on a school bus or semi truck, but a subcompact car just is silly.

While I don't rely on it to backup I do find it quite useful to see EXACTLY how much room I have behind me when parallel parking in the city.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Technology can't help idiots who don't look, and people who do look generally don't need whiz-bang tech to do so. "Aids" can distract people who already do the right thing.

There are times I would find it useful, but not enough to make sure I get a car that has one.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by MacStevenXIII
While I don't rely on it to backup I do find it quite useful to see EXACTLY how much room I have behind me when parallel parking in the city.
That's a good point. The camera angle that points directly down on the bumper is handy in very tight parallel parking situations in the city. Until I had the Honda, I didn't realize that anyone offered that view. That's about the only time I see the rear camera really being a convenient aid in everyday driving

Old 05-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Technology can't help idiots who don't look, and people who do look generally don't need whiz-bang tech to do so. "Aids" can distract people who already do the right thing.

There are times I would find it useful, but not enough to make sure I get a car that has one.
Beautifully said and articulated.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:30 PM
It seems callous, but the "if it only saves one child" philosophy is itself flawed. The presence of a camera is no guarantee that it will prevent accidents or that it won't cause an increase in other modes of accidents as drivers learn to rely on the camera. Unfortunately the mandating of cameras has been promoted by a vocal group of people driven by the grief caused by their own inattention.

Even if the 200 deaths per year number is accurate it is still only 0.6% of automotive fatalities. I wonder if there are other places the expense of the camera systems could have been used for a greater reduction in accidents? Automatic braking comes to mind.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
You make some very salient points. festiboi: 1, haters: 0
festiboi: 1, haters: 0 ???.......festibol is the hater (of rear view camera's).

Old 05-06-2015, 07:22 PM
So is there a way to disable the camera?

The world may never know...

Quick Reply: Disable Rear View Camera?