3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit EX-L – Engine Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 12:36 PM
2015 Fit EX-L – Engine Stopping

Trying to search out others who may have this same problem. My wife’s Fit has about 7,000 miles on it and is still showing 20% oil life remaining. No complaints there. Our problem has been on three separate occasions, when coming to a complete stop at a stop light or stop sign, the engine has shut off. It happened twice shortly after we purchased it, then again yesterday. Luckily I was driving each time, which helped prevent my wife from having a panic attack…!

All three times, it occurred when coming to a complete stop at a traffic light. It just does a slight stutter, similar to when the CVT downshifts into 1st gear, then the engine just dies. You cannot immediately restart it. I’ve put it in Park, held the brake, pushed the Start button…and nothing. You can’t even get the dash gauges and lights to come on. Pushing the Start button gets no response at all. I can’t even get the CVT out of Park. I have to use the gear selector override to release it, so I can put it in neutral to push it to the side of the road. The cabin overhead interior lights continue to function normally. On each occasion, I’ve got out of the car to check under the hood looking for the obvious….broken wire, loose battery cable, loose connection, etc…..never finding anything. On all three occasions, once I got back inside the Fit and tried to restart it…..it fires right up!

I’m at a lost as to what may be causing this dilemma. The key fob is always in my pocket, so when I exit the car to look for a cause to the situation, I don’t know if the connection/reconnection signal from the key fob recycling the vehicle computer is what’s allowing the Fit to restart or not. I’ve searched the 2015 Fit TSBs, and nothing close to my problem. I’ve had it back to the dealer on all three occasions, and of course they’ve found nothing. They’ve searched their Honda Net, and nothing there either. There is never any stored malfunction codes. I had one Honda tech tell me that on a few earlier Civics with the ECON button, there was are intermittent problem with the engine stuttering as it was slowing down, while in ECON Mode. I have noticed on our Fit, there is definitely a difference in performance and operation, when in ECON Mode. Specifically, a hesitation or stumbling as the CVT downshifts when coming to a stop. Our experience has been, this does not occur in Normal Mode. Now whether that’s part of the problem, I can’t say, but we’re going to operate only in Normal Mode and see if our stalling issue returns or not.

If you’ve had similar issues or have any insight with correcting this situation, I’m all ears.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
In all the many pages and posts I've read since day one on the GK forum (and I feel like I've read them all), I'm sorry to say I don't recall this one. Hopefully someone else saw something I missed.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely a problem. And a safety issue. I would suggest taking it to the dealer. Document everything. Let them do the full diagnostic and hopefully they find the cause.
Doesn't matter if it only happens in Econ or not, it shouldn't be happening in any mode.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Buy a cheap video recorder and leave it in the car so next time it happens you can start recording everything. Show that to the dealer. Start reading up on the lemon law for your State and begin the documentation process, if you haven't already.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 AM
I had this happen once. I came to a stop sign leaving a parking lot and my EX-L died. I was reaching up to open the sunroof (there was no traffic), and it just died. However, I put it in neutral and it started right back up. I really didn't think much of it because it only happened that one time and everything seemed fine after that. I didn't find any reports of it happening to anybody else so I kinda forgot it.

Edit to add: I was in Econ when it happened, but I've never noticed any type of stutter.

Last edited by lexic; 07-20-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by lexic
I had this happen once. I came to a stop sign leaving a parking lot and my EX-L died. I was reaching up to open the sunroof (there was no traffic), and it just died. However, I put it in neutral and it started right back up. I really didn't think much of it because it only happened that one time and everything seemed fine after that. I didn't find any reports of it happening to anybody else so I kinda forgot it.

Edit to add: I was in Econ when it happened, but I've never noticed any type of stutter.
I'm always in ECON mode and have never experienced this stalling issue, and like Lexic, I've never felt the stutter you mentioned either. This would definitely be very frustrating and I wouldn't give up trying to determine what is causing it. Long term, there is no way I would want to put up with that.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Yes! Intermittent engine dying

I have this problem!! This has been happening to me all summer! I think the problem started right around 7 or 8000 miles. We are now at 9200 miles and the engine stops when idling, but not consistently. Back and forth to the dealer and they can't find nor fix the problem. I have taken to doing what previous poster mentioned - I take photos and videos to prove that this is happening. After sharing video with dealership they finally replaced an engine coil, but the problem came back two weeks later.

Now I'm in touch with Honda Corporate to fix this problem or get rid of this car!! I loved my Fit at first - now it is a source of great frustration and anxiety.

This article mentions similar issues with Fits created and sold overseas, but not in the US.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...emplate=mobile

Smsgt178 are you still having problems? Did you find a resolution?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:57 AM
This sounds like a nasty intermittent, and if it is stranding you in traffic there is no doubt that it is safety-related.

Now is the time to start the Lemon Law clock ticking. If the dealer gets lucky they might be able to isolate the problem by reading the error codes or replacing parts hoping that the fault is in the component. If they can't, you don't want them delaying you so long that you are stuck with a lemon which is why I say to document things now.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
Bad ground connection(s) come immediately to mind, especially for the OPs complex of symptoms. Finding an intermittent bad ground, however, not so easy. Only thing I'm reading that goes against this hunch is that it's happening at idle. Not sure bad ground(s) would discriminate like that.

Good luck with these issues. And getting Honda corporate involved was a necessary--maybe insufficient--step. If there are several reports here, there are probably 10x or 100x that at Honda. Hopefully they can figure it out and point the dealers in the right direction.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
possibly related issue / fix

at around the same mark on the odometer, my fit suddenly started losing power (while driving, as if sputtering out of gas or a dead alternator). the dealership said they could not replicate the problem, but updated the computer, after which, the car has been problem free.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:03 PM
EdmonThom, that was their first fix too for mine - updated the computer. Problem came back a week or two later, though. I am currently waiting for a tech to get back from vacation. He'll take a look, get in touch with Coporate, and we'll see what they suggest. This is loaner car number four. I'm in Indiana, and Indiana lemon laws give them four chances to fix the problem. I've got my fingers crossed, but am not too optimistic.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:06 AM
UPDATE: Dealer has finally been able to reproduce the error. Received error code P2176 and has replaced the throttle body (cleaning did not solve the problem). They say it's fixed and good to go. I will post an update to confirm.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Still stalling

After throttle body was replaced, car drove fine (still a little grumbly, but no dash warning lights or stalling) for almost one week. Today, stalled while in transit (not stopped in idle). Restarted, died again immediately. Not fixed.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:07 PM
lemon that piece of crap and run away as fast as you can.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:55 PM
I had a very similar problem in a ford years ago. The problem was electrical in that a poorly spliced wire in the main harness was not properly insulated allowing it to periodically ground out. The problem took a long time to solve but the dealer was a personal friend and they gave me a good demo. I would guess it took 6 trips to the dealer.

Mike

Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 PM
This happened to me once. In Econ mode. Was on idle. My husband and I stared at each other- "huh?" It was a hot summer day, but never happened again on hotter day. But to be fair, I forgot I turned off Econ mode for a few weeks. I am on 7000+ m