3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Perspective Buyers: Thoughts on EX features from owner.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:11 AM
Perspective Buyers: Thoughts on EX features from owner.

Just in case it helps someone considering buying;

I have had my 2015 EX 6MT for a while now and absolutely love it. However, after experiencing the many features it has I am realizing in retrospect that the LX (with fog lights added) would be right for me. I'm still more than happy with what I've got. I just thought these observations may help a few people weigh if the extra features and upgrades are worth it for them, or maybe even a hassle as I'm finding them to be. Hope it helps someone!

So, I should have gotten an LX with fog lights rather than an EX (6 speed manual for me).

The Fogs are the only feature that I think is worth it in retrospect.

The Screen is garbage ha, the moonroof and push start/keyless entry aren't needed at all and I actually HATE the push start for the fact that I can turn the key back to ACC when I want to, etc.

Oh, I'll just go through the features one by one. ha

These are what the EX has over the LX:
-Moon roof - luxury but not needed or missed without.
-16" Alloys - I upgrade all wheels anyway.
-Lane Watch - don't really use it or the backup camera ever. Convenient once in a while for sure. Not needed.
-7" Display Screen - let's be real. The only thing that sucks on these cars is the touch screen and no knobs.
-Text Function - I Never use it. Ever.
-Push Button Start - more automation means less control. I hate having to cycle the car off and back on to turn to ACC and I can't kill the engine when coasting. Really regret this one. A lot.
-Smart Entry - Convenient, wouldn't be missed without it. Also a bad thing in any scenario with bad folks. Again, more automation means less control.
-FOG LIGHTS - practically a necessity where I'm from. Would buy these or aftermarket as an option on the LX for sure.
-Honda Link - Who cares? Don't use it.

These are just my personal thoughts and experiences in retrospect after some time with my EX and I wanted to share for those weighing pros and cons and deciding to buy. Of course others personal opinions and experiences will vary.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:00 AM
On the flip side, I don't hyper mile as aggressively as I used to so the push button isn't as big of a deal for most and having several extra conveniences isn't all bad. Just throwing some thoughts out there to consider.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your comments are very useful. It is curious as to why Honda has added farkles that turn out to be useless. These include the HDMI input. I would have guessed that guessed that Honda would do a better job, but no...

Old 08-22-2015, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
I agree that much of the EX trim level doesn't work as well as I would like. I do like the push button start and smart entry, although the ability to change the settings in the smart entry would be nice, other Honda models allow this. I also like and use the lane watch camera always. The touch screen is not as good as I expected, Honda claims tablet like functionality but this would be the most frustrating and hobbled tablet that I have ever used, I was expecting more customization and freedom of use. The lack of a shroud to keep sunlight off the screen was just a poor design choice, I have used the same screen in an Odyssey that is shrouded and it is much easier to view. If I had realized how much I don't like the giant plastic chrome garnish on the hatch, I would have made them change it before I bought it.

Disclaimer, I came from a VW with a very nice interior and spent 10 days driving my in-laws 15 Odyssey EX-L before I got to put any miles on my Fit. EX trim is not the same across all Honda models. I am trying to temper my reactions while I get used to driving a sub-compact car. That said I was expecting more from a mid trim level Honda.

With less than 1k miles on it I am enjoying driving it and still figuring things out and getting used to it. While I had a bit higher expectations (realistic or not) I still think it is a better choice than it's competition. Looking back I certainly could have gotten most of what I wanted in an LX. The philosophical question is, would I have been happier wanting some of the amenities or happier having most of the amenities but not as satisfied with their functionality?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
I have an EX. On at least two occasions Lane Watch saved my bacon with cars in my blind spot so I love having it. The sunroof is a luxury but oh what a luxury. I love it more than anything else. I also really love the seat fabric pattern and the alloys. I'm spoiled by the other features but probably could have done without them. And apparently I'm the only person on earth who finds the infotainment system clear and easy to use.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
The only reason lane watch is helpful is the GK's biggish blindspots.

Designing the car properly saves that

Old 08-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
The only reason lane watch is helpful is the GK's biggish blindspots.
If you have blind spots in the Fit then you probably need to readjust your mirrors. I can understand if you're driving a big vehicle (I use to drive F250, F350, F450, F550 for work) then it would be really helpful but for a small car with a lot of windows its hardly necessary.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
About the lanewatch, it's really great for keeping an eye on the bike lane in the city. The days of those bitches sneaking up on me are over ...

Old 08-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Does anyone honestly use the backup camera to back up? Ha I know it's standard on every model but I just can't do it. I have to look back over my shoulder and through the actual window. The only thing I find it somewhat useful for, I guess, in some situations, is those final few inches to know exactly where you are. BUT if you don't get to know your vehicle and can't do that without it then it's just making you even more lazy and that much poorer of a driver. Ha

Old 08-22-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm with you on the Keyless Start thing with cycling to off before going back to ACC, but WHY THE HELL DO YOU WANT TO SHUT YOUR ENGINE OFF WHILE COASTING?!?!?! That's not safe at all if you have to suddenly brake or steer out of the way of something! If you want to hyper mile, leave it in 6th gear and you'll use minimal gas.

However, I do loath the lack of physical buttons on the stereo (why couldn't they have given us the one from the 2015 CR-V?), but that's why I am so used to the steering wheel controls now.

Ultimately, Honda was trying to appeal to a younger audience with the HondaLink suite, and I think it fell just a little short. The texting feature is nice, except that you can't make custom responses. And I don't use HondaLink because it's useless with Android phones (you can only use the $50 nav app that they have and Aha radio which is pointless). I'm waiting for them to come out with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay for the Fit. It's coming on the Accord for 2016, and I'm sure it'll be a hit.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:33 PM
BasIcally every hypermiler turns the key a click back and coasts ha. You retain your braking AND steering if you don't turn it back too far.

Actually a lot of people make a specific kill switch for their engine.

It's also nice at long stops to kill the engine but not stop the electronics and music, etc.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChazLyle
Does anyone honestly use the backup camera to back up? Ha I know it's standard on every model but I just can't do it. I have to look back over my shoulder and through the actual window. The only thing I find it somewhat useful for, I guess, in some situations, is those final few inches to know exactly where you are. BUT if you don't get to know your vehicle and can't do that without it then it's just making you even more lazy and that much poorer of a driver. Ha
I do both. More tools the better.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Was waiting for 6MT LX... started reading.. then waited for 6MT EX... electronics worth it... and alloy rims... and sunroof. I've never owned a car with sunroof before... what a mistake!!!

Glad I waited. the extra 2 grand was well worth it! Keyless rocks.. you can have acc to just listen to radio.. read the owners manual!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Haha I've read it. I don't listen to the radio. Ha

Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
I like how you list a lot of your dismissals as unnecessary. I remember when power windows and locks came out, people thought the same. Or remember when getting air conditioner was a "nice feature to have"?

For me, the LX wasn't even an option. EX is the only way I was going to buy one of these.

To steal your bullet points:
These are what the EX has over the LX:
-Moon roof - Love, love, love mine. I leave it cracked on hot days to let heat escape to keep the car cooler.
-16" Alloys - Add this into the additional cost to get the next trim level, you are getting closer to the EX cost
-Lane Watch - Love it. An extra set of eyes to me is a good thing
-7" Display Screen - Agreed, it sucks.
-Text Function - Me neither
-Push Button Start - I can't imagine your thought process in shutting a car off while moving? Brakes, Steering is handicapped. You are a danger. Please stay off the road.
-Smart Entry - No different then hitting your key fob to unlock. Or do you still put the key in the door to open it. Which, by the way, you can do with the EX.
-FOG LIGHTS - Between this additional cost and the wheels, aren't we pretty close to the EX cost?
-Honda Link - I use it for hands free and Pandora.

Again, we are all entitled to opinions, just wanted to share mine.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
I came to many of the same conclusions myself that OP is articulating in this thread. But in thinking a bit about it I realized that had I gotten the LX instead, I would always have felt something was missing. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad I've got the EX, even knowing about these eccentricities. I feel no regret. Maybe that's rationalization, who knows.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
I came to many of the same conclusions myself that OP is articulating in this thread. But in thinking a bit about it I realized that had I gotten the LX instead, I would always have felt something was missing.
There's a lid for every pot (as the old saying goes) but I think the EX has the advantage at time of resale. I have no evidence on this claim - it's just a gut feeling.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Something I didn't know till after I bought mine was that Passion Berry Pearl was a EX color only. .A major reason to go to the EX! When I was talking to my wife about getting a EX or a LX the biggest reason we went with the EX was the simple fact that it was not that much more. We felt it was a good value for the upgrade. Not many people keep a car over 5 years so thinking about resale value makes sense too. I like the sunroof and the lane watch and backup cameras but am having some difficulty using the touch screen.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Moon roof I love this thing every time I open it my date always kisses me.
Wheels love them and wouldn't change them ever.
Lane watch and backup camera kick butt and use them every day.
Screen is fantastic and I hate knobs so use your steering wheel.
Text function love it.
Start button fantastic how else do you start a car.
Smart entry is just so smart.
Fog lights do their thing.
Honda Link keeps me connected.

So yeah it's a perfect car.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Moon roof-I love this thing! Every time I open it my date always kisses me.

So yeah it's a perfect car.

All the reason you need to choose the EX over the LX.

I declare this thread officially over!

Quick Reply: Perspective Buyers: Thoughts on EX features from owner.