3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

New Antifreeze, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I just use the factory antifreeze on all my cars.

just a tip though, i use this spill proof funnel from Lisle. works great for burping the air out of the system with absolutely no mess or fuss.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone

I personally think that changing original antifreeze on a 2015 car this early in its life (I assumed this thread was about a 2015, one year old?), unless you have reached the mileage interval or maintenance minder item, is overkill.... and wasteful.
I prefer to think that SilverEX15 just wants to know when to start looking for an antifreeze sale.

Don't be so hard on the guy.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Right. I do that annually.
Looking at your MPG I can tell you don't race so changing your brake fluid annually is again a waste of time an money. Biannually is fine and even then, I'd do a visual inspection of the master cylinder and if it looks nice and light apple juice color, I'd leave it. Disposing of these chemicals is also not good for the environment.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
brake fluid? my '12 is still on its factory fluid (20k miles). i dont change it unless the pedal feels spongy.
and yes, i do all maintenance on my cars.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:05 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
It shouldn't feel spongy unless you get air in it?

Won't it just build up a bunch of corrosion, which you won't feel until the seals go?

Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
It shouldn't feel spongy unless you get air in it?

Won't it just build up a bunch of corrosion, which you won't feel until the seals go?
ive not had much corrosion build up actually, thus slowed down the interval for the brake fluid change.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
brake fluid? my '12 is still on its factory fluid (20k miles). i dont change it unless the pedal feels spongy.
and yes, i do all maintenance on my cars.
I take the car in to the dealer once a year. They have "test strips" which can tell if the brake fluid is "good" or "needs changing". I changed the brake fluid in my '09 at about 5 years, based on the dealer's testing.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I prefer to think that SilverEX15 just wants to know when to start looking for an antifreeze sale.

Don't be so hard on the guy.
I'll buy anything on sale.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I take the car in to the dealer once a year. They have "test strips" which can tell if the brake fluid is "good" or "needs changing". I changed the brake fluid in my '09 at about 5 years, based on the dealer's testing.
yah, honestly that sounds about right, 4-5yrs. unless i change pads earlier since im working on the brakes anyway.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
just a tip though, i use this spill proof funnel from Lisle. works great for burping the air out of the system with absolutely no mess or fuss.
And the cap fits the Fit? A reviewer said that the caps supplied weren't a good fit for his Pontiac.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
And the cap fits the Fit? A reviewer said that the caps supplied weren't a good fit for his Pontiac.
Googled, found one set almost dirt cheap -----link here: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4276131357839797648?q=radiator+funnel+fill+kit&new window=1&safe=off&biw=1217&bih=739&dpr=1&prds=paur :ClkAsKraX317iguyDUs1R95tF4i9Zo9b1GhXQvzkB9gbeyCkW LsJ5eLTCwG9d2Y5rJdtY99j2ke4zmFN5MRx7kE61HEzkSIyJfq pODxHUk8TVu3LYMQzBBEevhIZAFPVH71BJN_8oAWzcvMoXedAY hgg4G1CKg&sa=X&ved=0CMYBEM1KMABqFQoTCIzh1rHNickCFQ FdHgodkZEPQQ

Yes, the Funnel-Fill kit normally comes with the 3 standard twist type automotive radiator adapters (shown below), and it looks like the kits (link, above) now come with at least one screw type cap adapter for "newer GM", which may or may not fit some cars as there are several different sizes of those from various auto manufacturers.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
Googled, found one set almost dirt cheap -----link here:

Yes, the Funnel-Fill kit normally comes with the 3 standard twist type automotive radiator adapters (shown below), and it looks like the kits (link, above) now come with at least one screw type cap adapter for "newer GM", which may or may not fit some cars as there are several different sizes of those from various auto manufacturers.
Tempting, but I'll be changing the coolant maybe every other year in two cars, so I'll save my money.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
i don't know for a pontiac, but for sure, it fit my GE's. Ive not done the GK since it is still brand new, but I am pretty certain it will fit just fine.

It's a valuable tool to have around.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
I just bought some zerex asian blue from O'Reilly auto parts - product page here.

You can confirm the product's specs at Zerex's site. Says it meets JIS K 2234-1994 spec. This is a Japanese organization's spec. This spec has been "superceded" by JIS K 2234-2006. I don't think Honda publishes any specs.

I'm not changing my coolant now. Just adding a little bit, because it is right at the bottom line, the "minimum" line, of the expansion tank, when cold. Tank is very small, and the bottom line is pretty close to the bottom of the tank. Dealer checked my coolant level as part of their "free multipoint inspection" and decided it was fine; when they looked at it, it was hot and only about 3 mm above the bottom line. They thought that was just fine? I thought the level should be a little higher. I want to add a little more coolant. Maybe 100 ml.

Though I'm using the Xerex coolant now just to add a bit of coolant to the expansion tank, and feel pretty safe doing that, I'd also feel pretty safe using the Zerex coolant when it comes time to drain all the coolant and refill. The Zerex is "hybrid organic acid technology plus phosphate, and no silicates." This is what I understand Honda wants. "No silicates" being the most important. Zerex is labeled "5 year 150,000 mile." Honda says change after about 100,000 miles I think, or a number of years (I'm not sure how many, maybe it's 7) - whichever comes first. I'm guessing that probably the worst case scenario when doing a coolant change would be that the zerex would not protect against corrosion for as long as the genunine honda, and that it might have to be drained and refilled again earlier. But its labeled for 150,000 miles. I find it hard to believe that the honda product is really any better.

Zerex has the same thing with red-pink dye. But I got the blue to match Honda's coolant color. Same price.

Last edited by nomenclator; 09-11-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
i just use the honda coolant. and keep the level at the mid point between min and max cold.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
i just use the honda coolant. and keep the level at the mid point between min and max cold.
Using Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 would be my recommendation as well.

Last edited by USDM; 09-11-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
I did a little looking around on-line and I found out that Honda type 2 coolant is manufactured by CCI manufacturing il corp. Co does a lot of manufacturing in India. The a coolant product that they sell under their own name in India and other places is called Golden Cruiser. You can find the MSDS or SDS various coolants but I don't think they list all the ingredients. Some are listed as "proprietary;" perhaps others may not be listed because they are not hazardous.

Last edited by nomenclator; 09-12-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
Invest

In my opinion, vehicles are multiple Thousand of Dollar investments. It always surprises me when people want to save a few bucks on things like Oil, Filters, and Fluids.
In nearly all those cases the most expensive vs. bargain brand is minimal. And since we are talking about a high investment machine of which we are hoping for extended life and durability? Never worth saving a few bucks.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by fitchet
In my opinion, vehicles are multiple Thousand of Dollar investments. It always surprises me when people want to save a few bucks on things like Oil, Filters, and Fluids.
In nearly all those cases the most expensive vs. bargain brand is minimal. And since we are talking about a high investment machine of which we are hoping for extended life and durability? Never worth saving a few bucks.
Agreed!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Well, that is a valid viewpoint. But another valid viewpoint is it kind of suprises me that some people want to let a company's tricky and obfuscatory marketing gimmicks influence them to give money to that company. Honda does not publish specs that antifreeze manufacturers can use to make an appropriate product. The antifreeze companys have to do the best they can to produce the right kind of product based on general knowledge of what kind of corrosion protection additives are in Honda's coolant - which however are well known to be p-HOAT additives. The worse case scenario, if one uses a non-Honda no-silicates coolant, is that the number of miles and years and corrosion protection provided, will be slightly less. Honda clues us in to that when they say you can use any non-silicate coolant "temporarily."

Here is some more stuff I found about Honda type 2 coolant. This doesn't prove fitchet's opinion is wrong, but it adds more evidence that perhaps honda's recommendation to use only their product, may be more of a marketing gimmick than a valid recommendation. Not only does CCI manufacture Honda type 2 coolant, but it also manufactures the coolant that Hyundai-Kia, and several Japanese companies, put in their cars. I can't find any evidence that they make a different product for Honda than the product they make for the other Asian companies. That doesn't mean it isn't so. But what I did find is that while the other Asian companies use CCI's product in their cars, they don't insist on their "own brand" being used to add to or replace the original coolant. CCI claims that their coolant is the best coolant in the world, and this may be so. But do they sell their own product at the same price that Honda sells Honda type 2? I am trying to find out if they sell their own "Golden Cruiser" coolant at competitive prices, and if one of the 2 or 3 types of coolant they sell, is exactly the same, or not, as the Honda type 2 coolant.

Hyundai dealers sell a product labeled "Hyundai Golden Cruiser Coolant." I'd bet that this is the same product as one of the 2 or three products that CCI labels as Golden Cruiser coolant for cars. One of their 3 products is "Summer-Smart" coolant. Probably simply has more water and less ethylene glycol. The other 2 products they sell for cars (as opposed to products they have for diesel trucks) - I am not sure if they are different or not, they may simply be a concentrated version and a version pre-mixed with water 50-50.

Last edited by nomenclator; 09-12-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: New Antifreeze, Anyone?