3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda Canada - Door Handle Bracket recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Honda Canada - Door Handle Bracket recall

Just got a recall on my '15 Fit - purchased in August. Figured I'd give you all a heads up before things get even busier through the winter season.

Product Update: Door Handle Bracket Replacement
Dear Honda Owner:
We are sending this letter to notify you of a Product Update that applies to your vehicle.
Please check that the 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) at the top of this letter to ensure that it matches
the 17-digit VIN on the upper left of your vehicle’s dashboard.
What is the problem?
As a result of an oversight in the manufacturing process, anti-corrosion coating was not applied to the brackets
that secure the outer door handles. As a result, corrosion that will develop on the bracket can result in visible
staining on the door around the handles. If immediate action is not taken, the door panel could also begin to show
signs of corrosion. To correct this issue, dealers will replace all 4 door handle brackets, apply corrosion inhibitor
and, if necessary, repair the door panels.
Important – the sooner the repair is completed the better. Time and exposure to winter road salt increases the risk
of door panel damage.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up. I have a '16 manufactured in Sept, picked up late October.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Thanks for the heads up. I have a '16 manufactured in Sept, picked up late October.
No problem, hopefully it is a quick fix. It took my dealer nearly 2 and half hours to do a winter tire change.

Is your '16 made in Japan or Mexico?

I am curious if you have any of the 'fit and finish' issues that the '15-'16 Fits have from Mexico. Mine has a gap in the dashboard and a small sag in the front bumper.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
All the '16 US/Canada 6MTs are made in Mexico. I have a very slight left dash alignment, where the two pieces of plastic don't line up flush. The car is still pretty new so I'm watching it closely. The front bumpers are still pretty tight, but I notice there is some play, which is not good. The paint is very thin. I brushed up against a cardboard box backing into my garage and there was a scratch. Apart from these cosmetic issues the car has been very good.

It seems the '16s have the outside temperature in the gauge cluster. Otherwise the '15s and '16s seem identical.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 12-08-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:37 PM
I noticed the bumper sag when installed my brows. I also noticed the spacing between my hood and left fender is not equal to the right side.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
All the '16 US/Canada 6MTs are made in Mexico. I have a very slight left dash alignment, where the two pieces of plastic don't line up flush. The car is still pretty new so I'm watching it closely. The front bumpers are still pretty tight, but I notice there is some play, which is not good. The paint is very thin. I brushed up against a cardboard box backing into my garage and there was a scratch. Apart from these cosmetic issues the car has been very good.

It seems the '16s have the outside temperature in the gauge cluster. Otherwise the '15s and '16s seem identical.
My '15 has a temperature gauge, I don't think there is any difference between the '15 and '16.

You're not alone on the paint issue. I got the Crystal Black Pearl colour and I see scratches all over the car, can't even explain how 90% of them got there. I have a family member with a '15 CRV of the exact same colour and their CRV is noticeably glossier and better looking overall.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
Nothing showing up for mine. I'm guessing this is a Canada-only recall. Everybody knows that cars don't rust in the U.S. (sarcasm mode off).

Old 12-09-2015, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Nothing showing up for mine. I'm guessing this is a Canada-only recall. Everybody knows that cars don't rust in the U.S. (sarcasm mode off).
This will be my 1st winter with the car so I'll keep an eye on it. Since I've had bad luck with the Q/C, I wouldn't be surprised if mine will be affected.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
This will be my 1st winter with the car so I'll keep an eye on it. Since I've had bad luck with the Q/C, I wouldn't be surprised if mine will be affected.
I suspect that all of our cars will exhibit this, but only Canada is forcing this recall.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by MotoFrost
My '15 has a temperature gauge, I don't think there is any difference between the '15 and '16.

You're not alone on the paint issue. I got the Crystal Black Pearl colour and I see scratches all over the car, can't even explain how 90% of them got there. I have a family member with a '15 CRV of the exact same colour and their CRV is noticeably glossier and better looking overall.
I agree, I just got a 16 CRV 4 days ago. The paint and quality of components is just superior from the Fit. Everything feels more sturdy and most importantly nothing rattles in the interior lol.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Door handle replacement bracket not yet available (Dec 11)?

It appears the replacement door bracket is coming from Japan and the couple of Toronto dealerships I phoned said that part is not yet available.

Recommend to have dealership notify you once the part is available and book a service appointment.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
2016 Fit base model, no recall for me from the Honda Canada site.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:12 PM
I have a 2016 Fit EX-L Navi, no recalls yet.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:56 AM
Took 5 business days for the dealer to get the new brackets in. Dealer says they will need the car for an entire day... Car goes in Thursday, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
i THINK this is the corrosion, that rust colored bit on the bottom of the metal piece on the far RH side (this is drivers door).

Attached Thumbnails Honda Canada - Door Handle Bracket recall-s1032757.jpg  
Old 12-15-2015, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2015FITEX
i THINK this is the corrosion, that rust colored bit on the bottom of the metal piece on the far RH side (this is drivers door).
Blurry, rain drops, what are we looking at here? The focus is on the tire track imprint, which is very clear. Help me out here...

Old 12-15-2015, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
once again i apologize for photo quality...IF YOU PULL YOUR OWN DOOR HANDLE ..im pretty sure with the bad pictures you will understand

Attached Thumbnails Honda Canada - Door Handle Bracket recall-photo.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Here's a photo of my drive side door handle

Old 12-17-2015, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
you are a better photographer than i am!...wow yours looks way worse than mine, mine is just starting at the bottom....90% of that metal part is shiny on mine.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:56 PM
The dealership had my car for 5 hours today to complete the recall. They did an inspection and found no rust, so they did not change the brackets on my doors.

I am not sure what to think. Does that mean my car will not rust out? Why was my car on recall if didn't need new brackets? Service advisor claims they order the parts just in case, but my car does not need them.

Quick Reply: Honda Canada - Door Handle Bracket recall