3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So Torn On the Fit- To Keep or Not to Keep?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by festiboi
The other cars that have impressed me after renting or driving a few have been the Accent and especially the Sonic.
Chevy Sonic are very popular in my contry but people I know are selling them because they are having a lot of problems. In fact i guess I haven't heard anyone not complaining about that car. So the next best decision will be the accent.

If you have the money I would say wait for the new civic 2016. It has already won many prices so it promises to be a great car.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Yah, no thanks on the ford. Next thing wouldve been a versa note if looking for a similar hatch...not that I'm planning to get another hatch for myself.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
The issue with the 2016 Civic is that it is a first year refresh, and will surely have its share of teething problems. I have always been told to avoid the first year of a car refresh. It is also a large car compared to the old Civic and certainly to the Fit. I'd rather go for any leftover 2015 Civics.

The 7" touch screen seems to be used in the Civic and Accord lines as well, so it might be difficult to get away from the infotainment system issues. It would have been better for Honda to separate the infotainment from the climate control systems.

I did not realize that the MyFordTouch system was so unreliable. Yes, they have the delivery system down, but not the delivery software. In retrospect the Fit's HU seems much better, though lacking in certain functionality for AA and CarPlay.

I have spent enough weekends renting a 2015 Nissan Versa Note. It gets good gas mileage and has a similarly large hatch to the Fit, but handling and performance is really lacking. It has 109hp and in CVT form is really soulless and gutless. The Nissan Micra has the same engine in manual shift and is really fun to drive. The Micra is similar in size to the Mazda2, currenly unavailable here in Canada.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 12-23-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
It's interesting because for the past few weeks I've been entertaining the idea of trading for a Fiesta ST. There are some things about the Fit I love, but I'm just too disappointed about too many things about the Fit. The paint quality, my endless transmission problems, and just lots of small things keep cropping up.

The kicker is that I was looking at the Fiesta before, and the abysmal reliability rating for the transmissions is what kept me from getting one. Great scores for everything else according to Consumer Reports. And now my Fit's 6-speed has been acting up since month 1 of ownership and the dealership is of very little help. The big reason I went for the fit was reliability, and the fact that it has 2x the interior room of the Fiesta, plus a human-sized back seat.

Honestly, chances are that no matter what car you get, it likely won't have huge issues. But then, there's always duds, and there's always the people who are unlucky enough to be stuck with them. At least if the Fiesta ST I want turns out to be a dud as well, I'll at least have more fun driving it to the service department.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1speedbike
There are some things about the Fit I love, but I'm just too disappointed about too many things about the Fit. ... transmission problems,

The kicker is that I was looking at the Fiesta before, and the abysmal reliability rating for the transmissions is what kept me from getting one. department.
If I recall correctly the transmision problem in ford in general are automatic transmission not manual and fiesta in manual(at least where I live)
I'll say if you dont have family and dont need the space go for it. I have never use the trunk once and no family so I think is good. If I had the money I would do it of for that price the miata 2016

And what are the problems with fit transmission with cvt or also with manual?

Old 12-24-2015, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
I bought a used 2014 Fiesta ST last year and I was planning to sell the 2010 Fit after a few months. Well 18 months later I still have the Fit. No issues with the Fit or Fiesta. Neither has been back to the dealer for serious mechanical warranty work. Fit had a trim piece loose when it was new.
Fit Sport is slow and boring to drive but very roomy. I can carry two bicycles standing up in the back.
Fiesta ST is a hoot to drive but interior is cramped. I can barely ONE bike in the back. LOL.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Howdy
I bought a used 2014 Fiesta ST last year and I was planning to sell the 2010 Fit after a few months. Well 18 months later I still have the Fit. No issues with the Fit or Fiesta. Neither has been back to the dealer for serious mechanical warranty work. Fit had a trim piece loose when it was new.
Fit Sport is slow and boring to drive but very roomy. I can carry two bicycles standing up in the back.
Fiesta ST is a hoot to drive but interior is cramped. I can barely ONE bike in the back. LOL.
Awesome someone here has a fiesta st. I wonder if hava driven the new honda fit 2015/6 in manual and how it compares to the fiesta st. I know is another league but i think it is like a big go kart the fit.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
If I recall correctly the transmision problem in ford in general are automatic transmission not manual and fiesta in manual(at least where I live)
I'll say if you dont have family and dont need the space go for it. I have never use the trunk once and no family so I think is good. If I had the money I would do it of for that price the miata 2016

And what are the problems with fit transmission with cvt or also with manual?
Yeah, I'm really considering it. All I really have is myself and my girlfriend. I thought I'd be using the Fit to haul more stuff, or at least more people, but it's basically a commuting machine to keep the miles off my other car.

I'd love a miata, too, but that's just a bit TOO impractical hah.

I didn't know that it was the auto trans that was having the issues. That was the main thing keeping me from the Ford, even though I think the interior is a bit of a step down.

My transmission problems are with the manual. I know the CVT had its own recalls, but I wouldn't know too much about those. In terms of my car, first it wouldn't shift into first gear. For a week before I could get the car in, every stop sign and traffic light was a nightmare. It took the dealership close to a month to confirm the problem (though it happened all the time), order parts, and finally fix it. Apparently there was a flat spot on the first gear, but they also replaced the fork.

Then it started doing the same thing with the reverse gear. about 50% of the time, the shifter just gets stuck and doesn't wanna shift all the way into reverse. Just like with first I have to play around with it, jiggle it, and generally spend 10-20 seconds futzing around before I can reverse the car. I've taken it to the dealership for this several times. First they couldn't duplicate the problem, despite having the car for days. Then when I insisted on sitting in with the service adviser, it magically happened on the first try. A few days later I get a call, and the service manager wants to speak to me. He tells me it's completely normal, nothing can be done, etc etc. On the receipt, they wrote that no problems were found with the car, even though my adviser said it's definitely not normal.

Now, it won't shift from 6 to 5. I never do this anyway, but my dad happened to be driving, and for whatever reason he wanted to shift from 6 to 5 on the highway, and the shifter got stuck and we heard a loud grind. I haven't even tried to bring the car in yet. I figure I'll just wait until my first oil change (the car is 6 months old).

I'm honestly getting sick of it. These transmission issues on top of the horrible paint quality (the car looks like it's seen several winters already based on how pock-marked and damaged the paint is) is just turning me off from this car completely. And the worst part is that I was extremely excited for the new Fit.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
Awesome someone here has a fiesta st. I wonder if hava driven the new honda fit 2015/6 in manual and how it compares to the fiesta st. I know is another league but i think it is like a big go kart the fit.
I couldn't tell you because I've never driven the '15 or '16 Fit. My next Honda will likely be a CVT Accord. No more Fit for me.

I like the 6 speed Getrag gearbox better in the Fiesta ST compared to my '10 Fit. With that being said, I think today's FWD manual transmission cars feels artificial. The clutch is hydraulic with some strange delay feature. The gas pedal is now an electric actuator and the transmission is cable operated.

Regarding the regular Fiestas:
I have driven the 1.6 TiVCT Fiesta with a power shift auto and I thought that was crap. I'm not a fan of the 5 speed manual Fiesta 1.6 either. I feel that the engine and transmission is inferior to a Honda Fit.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Today brought mixed emotions about my Fit. I've been a regular on here, and many times it's been about quality issues with the car. Since buying it in October 2014, it now only has 4,100 miles. But what a journey it's been; trips to dealer due to a faulty alternator, two for the rear plastic piece breaking loose, squeaky clutch pedal twice, a taillight that filled with water, and I feel like there's something else I forgot. Never mind that the front bumper is beginning to sag, the front license plate holder is becoming unhinged (I've noticed other Fit's with similar issue), and rattles from the driver's door and hatch. Let's not forget the dent fiasco when I dented roof's paper thin sheetmetal after waxing it, which I have since done again. All of it is pretty minor, but annoying to say the least and not what I expected from our first brand new car.

I've casually kept an eye out for a used car to replace the Fit, so I don't get hit with depreciation again. This week I stumbled across a bright green 2014 Ford Fiesta SE with manual and 22k miles at a local new car dealer. The kicker is the price; $8,995! It's been on their lot for months and they probably just can't get rid of it with the transmission/color combo. I had the same luck with my yellow, manual Focus seven years ago. Anyway, I took a look at it today

I didn't buy a new Fiesta last year because it is very cramped. But otherwise, it does feel more solid than the Fit. The same emotions all came back today; fun to drive, attractive, and nicely equipped, but a narrow driving position and cramped back seat. I told them I'd think about it

I took my Fit on a drive right afterwards and it felt so much more roomy and reminded me of why I bought it. That drive lead me to some mountain roads and the car was fun to fling about, especially with the manual, and is pretty close to what a Fiesta offers in that regard. But the rattling in the driver's door panel, the back hatch, seeing the drooping bumper and knowing what a journey it's been, puts a damper on the car.

The Fiesta was bought by its original owner a month before we bought the Fit, so the length of warranty would be almost the same, and the price is so low that we'd actually be able to pay it off from what we could get for the Fit, which beats paying off the Fit another 3 years or so. Since we bought the Fit last year, we also added a low mileage (61k) 1992 Ford Explorer to our garage that can do most of the hauling that the Fit would.

But part of me felt nostalgic with the roomy driver's seat and fun today, and that I should keep faith in this car being good for the long haul.

I am considering offering the dealer the crazy price of $7900, and seeing if they'll bite. Hopefully the Fiesta experience could be better, but part of me wants to keep the faith with the Fit. It is after all, my first new car and bought right getting married, and we didn't plan on seeing it go this quickly

Honda quality control, at least with the new Fit, has been lacking. To Honda's credit, they do put out the recalls, unlike GM. But getting a dealer to acknowledge a problem and actually fix it is trying on one's patience. I have thought about a trade also, but am not willing to take the hit in the wallet.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
odd. we looked at the fiesta when we were looking and we found it very underwhelming compared to the fit. Didn't seem as peppy or roomy.

funny someone said the mazda 3 hatch, we looked at that also but it also didn't do it for us. Odd thing is, my wife really wanted a CR-Z but she ended up with a 'practical' car. She still wants a CR-Z now...

What about the veloster? we liked it but the power of the non-turbo version was terrible, way worse than the fit.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
I bought a used 2013 Fit 2 years ago, with 4.000 miles on it. Dealer had it on his lot 4 months because it's a stick shift. When the 3rd Gen Fit came out, was all excited about it. But after seeing all the problems the new Fit has, I'm of the opinion that the 2nd Gen is the better car. My Fit has lousy seats, which I've corrected (lumbar support), & I wish it had a 6 speed trans. But it has more interior room than the 3rd Gen Fit. I wish Honda would get it's act together with the Fit. I understand that some 2016 Fits are made in Japan, & would think the quality is better than Mexico Fits. By the way, before I bought the Fit, I looked at every car in this class, and none of them had rear seats that folded flat; and all had rear seat head rests that didn't fold down & blocked the view in rear view mirror. Also loved the styling of the Fiesta, but.....

Old 01-03-2016, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by siguy
When the 3rd Gen Fit came out, was all excited about it. But after seeing all the problems the new Fit has...
And yet: Honda Fit Reliability Statistics do not agree that there are an onerous number of problems with the GK.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 AM
New Fit has no problems. And I'll help you, Fords are crap!

There, saved you a ton of money.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
New Fit has no problems. And I'll help you, Fords are crap!

There, saved you a ton of money.
Errr..... thanks for the help. Granted, the Fit will hold its value better than any comparable Ford.

But..... the Fit has needed more repairs in one year than my old Focus ever needed in the ten years I owned it. I wouldn't be so sure to dismiss Fords as crap. My old '92 Explorer is still running like a champ and I tend to drive it more than the Honda now

Old 01-09-2016, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Recalls =! repairs.

My Fiesta needed repairs.

My Fit has not.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Recalls =! repairs.

My Fiesta needed repairs.

My Fit has not.
Granted, the Fiesta has not been one of Ford's best efforts with quality. It has been plagued with transmission and electrical issues from day one. It seems like when Ford really tries, their cars are good, but when they half-bake it or rush it through, it's disastrous.

The new Fit isn't exactly one of Honda's best efforts either.

I guess I've just been bitter over the Fit. Most of my driving career, I've had a Ford or some sort of American brand, and really had good luck. When it came time to replace the 10yo Focus, none of the modern day compact Fords had good space efficiency and weren't as comfortable. I never imagined that I'd own a Honda.

But of course, all of the salesmen would say "Hondas are always better engineered than Fords", or "Hondas never break down" or "this car will last you forever." Yadda yadda yadda. Plus Honda never rebated because their product is so stellar, and I could've gotten a much lower, rebated price from Ford or GM. To be honest, I felt bad when we showed up to the Honda dealer to buy the Fit, but Honda's legendary reliability and all of the hype made me feel better about the decision.

Then owning it for 4k miles and having to visit the dealer over ten times for quality defects and having to be towed in once has made me feel cheated. Not only did I buy from a brand that I cared little about but I bought it on the promise of something that has not materialized.

Sure there's plenty I like about the car, but it was a logical decision, not a passionate one, and the logic is all but gone.

For the record, I never did buy the Fiesta. It still proved to be uncomfortable when I tried it out again. It has since found a new home

Old 01-09-2016, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Granted, the Fiesta has not been one of Ford's best efforts with quality. It has been plagued with transmission and electrical issues from day one. It seems like when Ford really tries, their cars are good, but when they half-bake it or rush it through, it's disastrous.

The new Fit isn't exactly one of Honda's best efforts either.

I guess I've just been bitter over the Fit. Most of my driving career, I've had a Ford or some sort of American brand, and really had good luck. When it came time to replace the 10yo Focus, none of the modern day compact Fords had good space efficiency and weren't as comfortable. I never imagined that I'd own a Honda.

But of course, all of the salesmen would say "Hondas are always better engineered than Fords", or "Hondas never break down" or "this car will last you forever." Yadda yadda yadda. Plus Honda never rebated because their product is so stellar, and I could've gotten a much lower, rebated price from Ford or GM. To be honest, I felt bad when we showed up to the Honda dealer to buy the Fit, but Honda's legendary reliability and all of the hype made me feel better about the decision.

Then owning it for 4k miles and having to visit the dealer over ten times for quality defects and having to be towed in once has made me feel cheated. Not only did I buy from a brand that I cared little about but I bought it on the promise of something that has not materialized.

Sure there's plenty I like about the car, but it was a logical decision, not a passionate one, and the logic is all but gone.

For the record, I never did buy the Fiesta. It still proved to be uncomfortable when I tried it out again. It has since found a new home
If you didn't want it....why'd you buy it?

I've bought five cars I didn't really want in the past, I'll never do it again. Led to me making bad financial decisions just to get out of them.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
If you didn't want it....why'd you buy it?

I've bought five cars I didn't really want in the past, I'll never do it again. Led to me making bad financial decisions just to get out of them.

Good question; I was under pressure from my corn-fed Iowa sized parents that I get a car that they can fit in comfortably when they visit, even though they may only ride in it three times a year. I never would've heard the end of it if I got a Fiesta or something equally cramped. So back seat room took precedence, and the Fit is incredible in that regard. Only the Sonic comes marginally close.

The other brands I was looking at were over 100 miles away due to limited availability of a manual, and the Fit was only 15 miles from home, so convenience was a factor too

What were the five cars that you regretted getting in the past?

Old 01-09-2016, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Ahh yeah, parents can have a way of doing that. Fit does make sense for that purpose & I know what you mean with cornfed having grown up in WI.

As for my five purchases I regretted/never liked:

My first three cars (all rather forced into purchasing by my parents as a high school kid):

96 VW Jetta (had for 1 month, getting repairs for 3 weeks)

97 Dodge Avenger (5 different shades of green, rusty, etc.)

2003 Mitsubishi Galant (great car for a high school kid, but not 5MT, fun and had a weak aftermarket...any one that complains about the Fit doesn't even begin to understand)

The car that replaced my favorite car I've ever owned:

1999 Acura Integra LS (great car, didn't compare to the Civic it replaced)

The car that replaced my first Fit because I sold it to pay off my student debt:

2014 Fiesta EcoBoost (the 1 litre three-cylinder); was never even as fun as my old (or current) Fit, which IMO isn't a crazy high bar to meet. 50+ MPG was cool though.

Quick Reply: So Torn On the Fit- To Keep or Not to Keep?