3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

SO my '15 Fit did not want to start @ 6F

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:34 AM
SO my '15 Fit did not want to start @ 6F

Yes we had a bit of a winter blast here a couple days ago and I go to work in the middle of the night and the temperature was 6F and Car would not start. Luckily I had my portable jump starter and I started it that way. Later on that afternoon after getting out of work at 12:45 it was 14F and it started. So I think I need a new battery from the dealer. I had no problems starting my old car in all the years I had it with a battery that was not old. I did have problems with 3+ year old battery but not with one that was less than a year. I know there was a battery recall in earlier production 2015 Fits so I wonder if mine actually had the better battery or I am part of that bad batch.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Soon2015FitWillBeMine
Yes we had a bit of a winter blast here a couple days ago and I go to work in the middle of the night and the temperature was 6F and Car would not start. Luckily I had my portable jump starter and I started it that way. Later on that afternoon after getting out of work at 12:45 it was 14F and it started. So I think I need a new battery from the dealer. I had no problems starting my old car in all the years I had it with a battery that was not old. I did have problems with 3+ year old battery but not with one that was less than a year. I know there was a battery recall in earlier production 2015 Fits so I wonder if mine actually had the better battery or I am part of that bad batch.
My car is almost the same age as yours (I bought mine a week after you), and I had my battery replaced right before winter hit. My cell died and my car refused to start without jumping it.

Dealer replaced it under warranty.

Take yours in and have it checked out.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my wife's 16 EX is parked outdoors 24/7. no issue starting at -5F earlier this winter, so i think you either dont drive enough to charge the battery, or you just got a defective battery.

battery age can make a difference, but the 09 GE i had started with no issue at similar sub 0F temps a yr ago when the battery was on its 6th year. I did add water starting around the 4th yr of ownership though as the blue indicator was starting to fade. No issue with engine starts.

ive had other new hondas with weak batteries from the factory so i know how frustrating this can be.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
That is the most common problem. I was looking around and i saw something interesting, i hope anybody has an answer:
I got a solution from a UK user Jo stating, "My parents had the same problem with the Honda battery always going flat. Apparently if you don't lock your Honda car each time you leave it then it continues to use the battery. Since my parents live in the country they never really have to lock cars, but since locking the Honda the battery no longer goes flat. They were told Japanese cars need to be locked to shut down properly."

here is the vid.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:50 AM
I did not get a power steering light I don't think I didn't least. I have push button start so the dash lights flash during startup and I didn't notice the power steering light stay on. I'm considered an emergency response employee at my job so that basically means I have to be at work no matter what happens so I didn't bother troubleshooting and connected my portable jump starter and the engine started, I allowed the car to warm up until the blue temp light went off and I drove off..