3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Heated Seats Possible

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Heated Seats Possible

Good evening, all. I am contemplating buying a 2016 Fit EX. I had tried in the past to install heated seats in my 2010, but the seats could not be cut into for the installation.

Does anyone know if the 2016 seats can be cut into for a installing the heating elements?

Thanks!!

Old 02-22-2016, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
I am contemplating buying a 2016 Fit EX. I had tried in the past to install heated seats in my 2010, but
EX-L comes with heated seats.

Does anyone know if the 2016 seats can be cut into for a installing the heating elements?
Cut sounds awful dramatic.... How about 'disassembled'? I'm sure they can be disassembled.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
From what I've read the seat covers on the EX are glued to the foam making disassembly harder.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
Most people simply buy seat covers and install the heated seat elements under the seat covers. Electronics are all the same. Disassembling the OEM seat would be difficult, as others have said, the seat material is glued to the foamy bits.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the replies referencing the difficulties separating the seat to install heating elements. That was the same issue with the previous 2nd gen Fit.

Covers with heating elements may be the way to go as I have no desire for the leather seats in the EX-L.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 AM
here are some videos. I never took any after i installed them in the car. Figured it was explanatory that the seat covers slip over the seat. Either way, this is one of my favorite practical functional mods for the Fit. Granted I went all out and used the OEM switches, but you don't have to. The seat covers were cheap, but they look decent and protect the fabric underneath. Much as I would have liked to install the heated pads inside the seat you dont want to mess with glued fabric to foam. Leather you don't need to glue, its simply stitched and stretched over the foam. Any questions feel free to reach out to me.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Links to the seat covers please?

Old 02-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Links to the seat covers please?
If you look up Honda Seat covers 3D Air Mesh you should find them pretty easily. The auction from last year when I bought them is no longer listed. They are side Air bag compatible as well. This is an important point to mention too.

Gray Black Car Seat Covers with PU Leather Full Set for Honda | eBay

Old 02-23-2016, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Damn car is freezing my butt off this winter, for the first 10 minutes of driving. I'll certainly look into this mod, which is pretty easy, this summer, but not plug them in until late fall or early winter. The wiring should be really easy.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 PM
Thank you Bassguitarist! Your video was very informative. Thank you for taking the time to do share this.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Damn car is freezing my butt off this winter, for the first 10 minutes of driving. I'll certainly look into this mod, which is pretty easy, this summer, but not plug them in until late fall or early winter. The wiring should be really easy.
Toasty butt here in Kitchener TO boy.

I have my heating pads under my Classios. Switches are in dash next to the AUX plug and they are wired to that circuit. Have many miles of wiring stuff under center console. Have had them for 3-4 yrs now. Had to replace the seat pad on driver's side last year. Work well.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
I live in snow country and thought about getting a heated seat pad, but I wear a down winter coat and haven't noticed cold seats, even when the temp has been -21F outdoors. My feet are another story since it takes a while for the cabin to warm in such cold temps.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Betty
Thank you Bassguitarist! Your video was very informative. Thank you for taking the time to do share this.
You are very welcome!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:58 PM
I remember seeing that people stated the seats were glued together when I was getting ready to do this in January. They are not. I was able to take apart the factory seat upholstery (hog rings) and cut the $50 carbon fiber seat pad kit off Amazon to fit in the bottom and top. I just zip tied the hog ring bars back to the seat and it looks factory. Cables were run from each seat to the driver's fuse box under the carpet and there was an excellent ground point above the fuse box. I just Add-a-fused the accessory outlet and now have a clean heating setup with buttons drilled into the seats in front of each vertical adjustment lever. The seats turn off with the car (i put it in the wrong accessory fuse the first time and had to learn the hard way that the rear hatch doesn't open with a dead battery and it was a PITA to get the cables out of the tire well at 5am in the freezing black cold).

If anyone is curious I took pictures of the whole set up with the intention of making a guide, but I got lazy and didn't. I spent about 60 dollars in total and have switched heated seats for driver and passenger. Not too bad.

Another edit: The pads did not affect the airbag sensors. I have had zero problems. I was worried about that when I began, but they are behind the foam padding and far removed from the heating elements.

Pictures for the interested added below. Saves some money skipping seat covers and I've had the pads in my Miata for two years using them every day including summer (helps with back pain after a work shift) with no problems.

Button mount

Cut pad to fit

Last edited by TequilaSqueela; 02-29-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Hi TQ, I'd be interested in more of your photos and a writeup. Taking the seat out seems easy enough, but where exactly are the hog ties? This is a mod I'll do this summer and would appreciate as much docs and help as possible.

Do you have a 2015 or 2016 Fit? LX or EX?

Thanks,

Old 02-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Tequila,

Very cool write up! You have the 2015 or 2016? I stand corrected on the glued part if its the 2016. When I started taking my seats apart i found there to be glued areas on my 2015.the 2016 idk for sure, YMMV. How does the final product look? Does the pad extend beyond that separation in the bottom cushion? How doea the cushion look after the pad installed? Wrinkles? Uneven look in the fabric?? That has been my biggest fear.

I too made the mistake of the wrong add a fuse slot where the power to the seats didnt shut off with the ignition. The power stayed on until I opened the door instead.

Please do a full writeup and let us know! Amazing work!

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 02-29-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Hi TQ, I'd be interested in more of your photos and a writeup. Taking the seat out seems easy enough, but where exactly are the hog ties? This is a mod I'll do this summer and would appreciate as much docs and help as possible.

Do you have a 2015 or 2016 Fit? LX or EX?

Thanks,
I have a 2015 EX. I will consider making a guide over the next week. The hog ties run under the bolsters and across the middle transverse stitching of the lower pad. Removing the seats is stupid easy and there really isn't much seat hardware to deal with.

As for the look, there are no wrinkles, no wires, and you can't feel the hardware through the seat. It looks professional and feels stock. I'm extremely happy with it. Getting the fabric completely off isn't possible without dismantling the seats. Fortunately, the install experience was completely identical to my Miata except for the airbag in the seat.

The pad cuts off at the hog ties on my lower cushion, but fills the back rest. If you cut slots for the zip ties to go through it would be possible to run them to the edge of the seat, but I didn't bother with that. I only notice seat heat directly under my ass in my other cars so it isn't a big deal.

Last edited by TequilaSqueela; 03-01-2016 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Additional answers
Old 10-14-2016, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Heated Seats are "Nice".

But personally?
I wouldn't pay a lot for them or work too hard to install them in a Honda Fit.

For less than $30, I bought a seat cushion that plugs into the 12v.

What I do is in the coldest of Winter, I use that cushion that has heat. It gives me a heated seat.
It even gives me a hedonistic massage option.

I like that it's TOTALLY removable when Spring/Summer and even Fall arrive.

It's owner/user preference. But "Wally World" heated cushion options seem so inexpensive and actually are so convenient, I don't really get the commitment to installing heated seats.

I also like that if the cushion stops working?
It's a minimal investment into getting totally new one.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Brilliant idea to buy a heated seat cushion from Wal*fart.

I might do that and sew a seat cushion top to tie down to the bottom seat. I really love the idea of removing the heating element for 3 seasons. I'd probably still do a new circuit, add the switches and add quick disconnect sockets. And I would need another for the passenger.

How thick is the heated seat cushion?

Old 10-14-2016, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Heck with heated seats...have never had 'em (having lived in suburban Detroit and suburban Phila PA in the past), never felt a need....now live in suburban Knoxville, cooled seats would be awesome, but...not worth the effort/$$$, at least for me

Quick Reply: Heated Seats Possible