3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What genius mounted the spare face-down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:43 AM
What genius mounted the spare face-down?

Ok, I'll start off by applauding that Honda provided a spare, albeit a compact spare, on the Fit. No way that a driver in the western US would want to go on the road with a can of fix-a-flat like other manufacturers want us to do.

That said, why did they have to mount the spare face-down? You have to unscrew the retaining bolt and remove the spare from the car to check the tire pressure! You can't use a dual-wheel extension hose either because the rim is solid with no slots for the hose.

And no, you can't just put the tire in right-side up. The retaining bolt is too short and the Styrofoam protrusion from the load floor support is too long.

Now, I could get a longer retaining bolt and cut the styrofoam, but eyeing the spare tire well makes me think that there may just be room for a full-size spare in the space! That would be sweet and I will be checking it for fit at the first tire rotation.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
You are right, Honda could have done better. To get around the issue, I use an air line extension like
this this
. One end is attached to the tire the other conveniently exits the finger-hole near the bumper. The air line passes under the tire next to a section of raised sheet metal. I check the pressure on all five tires every month. The extension line maintains the spare tire pressure as well as the other tires maintain theirs.

Last edited by Press Fit; 04-05-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 AM
That is awesome. You should send this to Honda.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
When taking the extender off if you needed to use the spare, will air escape leaving the tire with less PSI?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:44 AM
wow, super simple and super smart! well done.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SteveSatch
When taking the extender off...will air escape leaving the tire with less PSI?
Only one "pfft" of air, like when you remove the air chock from the valve when you fill your tires with air.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Bravo! Ordered!

Old 04-05-2016, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the idea then!!!! I'm in

Old 04-05-2016, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
I didn't know this existed. I'm getting one of these too!

Now I just need to find a good 0/100 psi tire gauge. Ever notice that most tire gauges are 0/60 psi? Since the spare needs 60 psi, you don't really know if it's at 60 or more.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 04-05-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Since the spare needs 60 psi, you don't really know if it's at 60 or more.
I've been using
Joes Racing air chock and gauge Joes Racing air chock and gauge
because it got good accuracy reviews. It comes as
just an air gauge just an air gauge
too. The needle will go beyond 60psi (I fill my bike tires to 60psi too). I like 0-60 so that the Fit's 33psi tire pressure is in the middle.

Last edited by Press Fit; 04-05-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
You are right, Honda could have done better. To get around the issue, I use an air line extension like this. One end is attached to the tire the other conveniently exits the finger-hole near the bumper. The air line passes under the tire next to a section of raised sheet metal. I check the pressure on all five tires every month. The extension line maintains the spare tire pressure as well as the other tires maintain theirs.

This is the very reason I joined this forum, to get ideas and workarounds. I lack both the talent and money to utilize most of them, but it stirs the old (and I mean OLD) grey matter. Some of them I can get my son (skills) to use or my ex-wife's husband (great guy) who's an old time hot rodder (skills and experience).

Old 04-05-2016, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
I've been using Joes Racing air chock and gauge because it got good accuracy reviews. It comes as just an air gauge too. The needle will go beyond 60psi (I fill my bike tires to 60psi too). I like 0-60 so that the Fit's 33psi tire pressure is in the middle.

That's good for car tires, but the spare is at the 60 psi limit. What I've been doing is setting the regulator on my air compressor at 60 psi and inflating the spare until I don't hear any more air entering the tire. I figure that's close enough for a spare. I do the same for my bicycle tires, except I set the compressor at 120 psi.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Truck-style dual head air gauges usually go up to 120 psi or so.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Longacre has a lot of different pressure gauges including one that glows in the dark.. Handier than I would have thought..

Old 04-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Nice idea, I'll go with it.

I use an dial-type Accu-Gage that reads up to 60. It'll actual go a bit further so I put it a bit over 60 and give myself a little wiggle room.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
By the way, the air extension hoses can be found at truck supply shops too , the places that sell accessories for commercial trucks.. Its a really common need on them.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
meh, the spare is light in this car i just pull it out and measure it 3 times a yr. its really the fall/winter you need to watch out for, for low psi.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
meh, the spare is light in this car i just pull it out and measure it 3 times a yr.
I like to check mine every time I check the other tires. The main failure point is the valve and valve stem and failures tend to be age-dependent, not use-dependent. No way I want to be sitting at the edge of the road minus a spare.

The weight of the spare isn't the issue, it's the hassle of spinning the retaining bolt out. That thread is long and not terribly straight, so you have to twist, twist, twist, twist.....

Yes, it's tempting to leave the bolt off, but that is a safety issue.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Why make things so difficult folks? Check your spare once a year; I do it when I use the spare as a temp when I rotate my tires. And always carry your tire inflator with you just in case. Seriously, when was the last time you let the spare on a new car go for a year without checking and it was severely underinflated? Once a year is good enough if you have some way to reinflate to proper pressure, even in a flat situation. Am I missing something?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:06 AM
I've had a spare hold air for years and then mysteriously go to zero within a month. The valve stem is the usual culprit.

Yes, you can check the spare once per year or, for that matter, not at all. That increases the chance that when you need the spare it will not be usable.

An inflater is a good idea and of course a lot of cars are simply putting a can of fix-a-flat and an inflater in the car and deleting the spare entirely. This works well if you are are close to civilization if a tire is damaged beyond repair, but I can't depend upon that.

Quick Reply: What genius mounted the spare face-down?