3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The splash shield on 2015 Honda Fit EX coming off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
The splash shield on 2015 Honda Fit EX coming off.

Whats up with the splash shield? I was driving and I heard a flapping sound and I don't even have 5000 miles on my 2015 Honda Fit EX, and the splash shield had come undo (it just seems to have lost a clip) and was flapping and dragging underneath the car. Is this covered under the 3 year warranty as I cant imaging it being wear and tear as I was on a smooth highway and heard it when I got off, so it must have come off at high speed driving.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member
Old 04-25-2016, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Have you recently had an oil change performed by a dealership or other service provider? I suspect they're quick to re-use damaged plastic fasteners.

Mine came loose after I hit a cat, shearing one of the rear plastic fasteners. No problems otherwise, because I change my own oil and inspect and replace the rear plastic fasteners if they appear at all damaged.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
I'm on my fifth oil change. No problems with original fasteners!

Old 07-22-2016, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MelR
Yeah, that is what happened with mine. The splash shield got loose and was flapping on the ground under my car. I kept hearing a thump, thump and got underneath and I was not pleased. I took it to the dealer and they took care of it, I will have to get underneath and see if they replaced it or what...

Old 07-22-2016, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Have you recently had an oil change performed by a dealership or other service provider? I suspect they're quick to re-use damaged plastic fasteners.

Mine came loose after I hit a cat, shearing one of the rear plastic fasteners. No problems otherwise, because I change my own oil and inspect and replace the rear plastic fasteners if they appear at all damaged.
I think I hit a bump in the road and heard it barely scrape, in my other Hondas the splash shield was always metal or thick hard plastic, so I was a bit taken aback to find it just a thin plastic piece....argggggggg

Old 07-22-2016, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
My used '15 LX I picked up in June came with it missing, and....I don't care, sounds like more trouble than it's worth - it's not a "splash shield," it's an aero bit to help eek out whatever mpg it helps with ....and I'm fine with 42+ mpg at 80+ mph w/ AC running full blast w/o the "splash shield" that folks are wringing their hands over...I can't be bothered with replacing it, it's not like there's anything needs "protection" from "splashes" down there....guess automakers must do everything to appease government-forced worship at the altar of mpg's....my '15 LX is just fine without it's stupid "splash" shield

Old 07-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Besides from just being "stupid" and appeasing the "goverment-forced worship at the altar" the splash shield also functions to help keep rocks and road debris from bouncing into the engine bay and colder water from directly hitting your very hot metal parts...

Old 07-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
on some cars the shroud provides rigidity for the front bumper. i dont remember how the GK's splash guards were connected (been a few months since oil change) but if i was u, i would get a replacement.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jack Hammer
Besides from just being "stupid" and appeasing the "goverment-forced worship at the altar" the splash shield also functions to help keep rocks and road debris from bouncing into the engine bay and colder water from directly hitting your very hot metal parts...
Meh ... not an issue to me, and if it becomes one, then it's on me ... cars have had their lower engine bay "splashed" since the beginning of automotive time ....am sure these modern parts are up to the task of being splashed

Old 07-24-2016, 11:34 PM
the old/new topic lol
the shield will get loose if it gets hit with something (road slowing bumps most of the time)
then it will fall off when its completely loose
put it back and drive very slow on bumps.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Mine came lose

Mine came lose and went flappety flap flap down the road. I took it to the dealer and raised sand about it. They told me I must've hit something,maybe a parking stop. So they wanted $250 to replace it. I declined and they tidied it up. A few weeks later my wife straddled a hunk of wood on the highway and it came loose again. This time, I've tucked it in under the bumper skirt and stretched it forward with a zip tie. Knowing it'll have to be dropped to change the oil, I went ahead and put a few extra zip ties in the glove box. What a crappy design! My car is 18 months old and I did not expect the duct tape and baling wire fixes for a NEW car. sheesh....

Old 08-03-2016, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
I still stand by my contention that it's just an aero bit being called a "splash shield" .... and not worth the trouble/$$$ replacing, since mine's gone daddy gone...life's too short to be bothered with BS, and this piece seems like BS to me...imho, of course Folks who want it on there can keep dealing with the issues...although mine's missing, I don't miss it

Old 08-17-2016, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
My used '15 LX I picked up in June came with it missing, and....I don't care, sounds like more trouble than it's worth - it's not a "splash shield," it's an aero bit to help eek out whatever mpg it helps with ....and I'm fine with 42+ mpg at 80+ mph w/ AC running full blast w/o the "splash shield" that folks are wringing their hands over...I can't be bothered with replacing it, it's not like there's anything needs "protection" from "splashes" down there....guess automakers must do everything to appease government-forced worship at the altar of mpg's....my '15 LX is just fine without it's stupid "splash" shield
In Florida you get a ton of water up into the engine when it rains and you hit the pools of water, so its a 'necessary evil"..

Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Folks who want it on there can keep dealing with the issues...although mine's missing, I don't miss it
Ha! What issue?

If you use your car like a battering ram, guess what? Stuff falls off.

Like you're surprised at that?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
OK, just to clarify, as in the issue of the thing falling off...seems to be a common enough complaint....and I don't use my car ""like a battering ram, mine was bought used and it was already missing. It's a non-issue, to me, in more than one way

Old 08-22-2016, 04:48 PM
I am curious. If the splash shield helps the LX get better gas mileage why is not not also used on the EX ?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wdoney
I am curious. If the splash shield helps the LX get better gas mileage why is not not also used on the EX ?
Splash shield is on all trim lines. LX gets better mileage because it doesn't have things like a moon roof that adds weight.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
In Florida, with all the rain, you need to have it or the water can shut you done and leave you stranded.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Literally just happened to me today. About to take it to the dealership but am reading this thread now...

Quick Reply: The splash shield on 2015 Honda Fit EX coming off.