3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

1.5 years with 2015 Fit LX: thoughts and advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 PM
1.5 years with 2015 Fit LX: thoughts and advise needed

Hi folks,
greetings from Albuquerque New Mexico!
eventually hit 16k and 18th month with my white2015 honda fit.
hard to express my feelings towards this little car. it is my first brand new honda car and previously i didn't have a lot experience with japanese cars ( I drove a old ford taurus with bad, bad struts).
My feelings are 50-50.
50 Pros:
cheap (i got my lx ~17k otd brand new)
low fuel cost comparing with others (still don't understand how ppl get 40+ MPGs in city. I only hit 40+ on highway---in city w/o AC it was like 32~33);
roomy with nice leg space, head space and back seat space. i'm 6'1 so it's a big plus for me.
versatile: recently just moved and this fit has helped me a lot from renting a u-haul.
low-profile but many ppl confused it with a more expensive toyota Pruis

50 Cons:
noise control. i'm not saying i'm a audiophile but fit did a terrible job on sound proofing. road noise, sound noise and other weird ticking sound from both head room area and panel area drove me crazy. Design issue? for a sub-compact HB, probably; QC? wooo don't open that door.
CVT is one of the most unfunny transmissions i have ever seen. I regret buying this FIT all the time because i didn't make a right decision to get a manual version. Albuquerque's road condition is good during most of the time and the city doesn't have lots hills. sigh.

And now i have two questions and I want you guys help:
1) should i still keep it? i guess i can do either way but i need some external suggestions. i have been thinking about getting another "funnier" manual hb, aka focus ST, Fiesta ST, GOLF GTI, WRX and other things;

2) if i don't sell/trade in for another car, what should i do? i want to do a sound deadening and can local stores handle that? my budget can be up to $1,000. i saw some threads here saying after doing a whole cabinet sound deadening it sounds like a luxary car---i dont have that exception but will that greatly reduce road noise and wind noise?

Please advise
Thanks!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:41 PM
Trade the car in and get the manual hatchback that you should of got. Dont bother with the sound deadening, (adds weight and still not as great as a luxury car)if you want quiet then get a luxury car.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
You could do your own sound deadening if you want. You'll need to pull the door panels and be able to stuff inside small nooks and crannies. Not difficult, but tedious and time consuming. You can also do the spare tire well, wheel wells, hatch, etc.

Now I'm coming from a GD3 5MT that got totaled and the sound deadening is much better on my 16 LX. I didn't do any sound deadening on either one; both were stock.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
RottBoy did a lot of sound deadening and I think he said it made a lot of difference. He had a partial thread on this that you could read, but be warned he took off all panels. PM him and ask for his opinion.

I could not live with the CVT. I would have gone to a different car where I could get a manual. The CVT is something you cannot change, so if it bugs you a lot then you have no choice but to sell the car or tolerate it.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:34 AM
My '15 Fit LX is a manual, they are out there if you look hard enough.

If you didnt lose a leg in iraq or viet nam, there isnt really a good reason to get the CVT.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
I own a 2015 EX CVT. Also owned a 2011 EX CVT and the CVT was worse. Too much hesitation while hunting 1st gear for me. The 2015 CVT is a lot more mannered but not perfect. I would trade/sell your '15 LX and buy something else.

My question to you is if you ever fixed the ticking problem you described?

"...and other weird ticking sound from both head room area and panel area drove me crazy. Design issue?"

I get this also. My ticking comes from the passenger side headliner area near the B-Pillar/anchor bar but its now less ticking noise than when new. Any info much appreciated.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matthorkan@gmail.com

If you didnt lose a leg in iraq or viet nam, there isnt really a good reason to get the CVT.
For all intents and purposes, I lost my right foot at birth (birth defect) but in actually 60 years ago. I've owned or used very few automatics in the 60 ensuing years. Don't like them. The foot was amputated at the so-called ankle so I have the OEM knee and large leg bone beneath. Left leg "normal". Mother had measles while she was carrying me but she taught me to do for myself and that included shifting gears, from a 3 on the tree 1950 Chevy on.

The right foot is almost like a cruise control. After years (and years and years) of practice, I can keep a more constant speed than the one in the fit.

CVTs seem to be the trend in less expensive cars and I've been told that Honda's is among the best but almost all are derived from a Toyota patent.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
For all intents and purposes, I lost my right foot at birth (birth defect) but in actually 60 years ago...The foot was amputated at the so-called ankle so I have the OEM knee and large leg bone beneath...
The medical term is Symes, and there are 2 leg bones beneath the knee: tibia and fibula. You might have one, but OEM came with two.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 06-01-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
The medical term is Symes, and there are 2 leg bones beneath the knee: tibia and fibula. You might have one, but OEM came with two.
Well, Doc, the left one is OEM, the right onw had only the large bone below the knee. The foot was off set and had only 3 toes. The left foot has 4 toes (webbed) Not enough to play little piggies.

Now that Ive reuined every one's supper ....

Old 06-01-2016, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Well, Doc, the left one is OEM, the right onw had only the large bone below the knee. The foot was off set and had only 3 toes. The left foot has 4 toes (webbed) Not enough to play little piggies.

Now that I've ruined every one's supper ....
Not at all. Did you retain the fat pad underneath your right "foot"? I studied prosthetics and orthotics, among other things. I can talk about this stuff all day as I find it interesting. I did a couple of Symes legs in school.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Now that Ive reuined every one's supper ....
I look at nasty feet all day. I do wound care with mostly podiatrists. Seen almost all of them already.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Not at all. Did you retain the fat pad underneath your right "foot"? I studied prosthetics and orthotics, among other things. I can talk about this stuff all day as I find it interesting. I did a couple of Symes legs in school.
State of the art surgery circa 1954 (Dr. Ben Fowler). He flipped my so-called heel up over the end of the stump and did what looked like a baseball stich job. Good surgeon, cared for his patients, but had all the bedside manners of a snake. Physical therapy nurse, who apparently had a thing for Fowler, said it was a 5 minute procedure that most doctors wouldn't take the time.

It is essentially a skin graft (per the PT nurse) Fortunately I heal like crazy. Surgery on Monday, home Friday, crutched to neighborhood movie on Sunday.

Prosthesis in use and crutches forgotten at hangout in 4 months.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hongzhibin1987
... i have been thinking about getting another "funnier" manual hb, aka focus ST, Fiesta ST, GOLF GTI, WRX and other things;...
You talk about having a quiet car, but then you mention those 4 performance cars. The two usually don't go hand in hand, although I would say my Fiesta ST is very quiet inside crusing at 80mph on the freeway unless you decide to pass someone, and then you hear some engine noise, just like the Fit.

Both the Fiesta ST and the Fit (EX CVT supposedly with additional factory sound dampening) are miles quieter inside than my older Integra or Odyssey. I really don't need anything quieter personally and am quite satisfied with the sound levels of both the newer cars. But I don't sit in my car to enjoy high fidelity sound, I do that at home with a proper sound system.

EDIT: I will add that I settled on the Fit CVT for how quiet it is at 80mph with a relatively low RPM. But yes, not as fun as the stick. At 4K RPM at 80mph for the manual Fit, its another story, which is why I went the CVT route, given I had other manuals to play with. If you decide on the Fiesta or Focus ST, you will miss the cargo space and the high MPG of the Fit, although the Fiesta ST provides good mileage on the highway, almost as good as the Fit. Around town, not nearly as good as the Fit MPG.

Last edited by tbFit; 06-01-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:59 PM
You should get a new Fit that's built in Japan and has a manual transmission.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by matthorkan@gmail.com

yes, that's the thing i regretted a lot since last year.
I came from a city which has terrible traffic that makes driving MT pain in the ass. but here in the Albuquerque it's the other way...

Old 06-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Just drive and judge the mid refresh in 17' b4 you go to another brand. Im going back to Acura after my 13' is paid off. TLX/RLX used.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by tbFit
You talk about having a quiet car, but then you mention those 4 performance cars. The two usually don't go hand in hand, although I would say my Fiesta ST is very quiet inside crusing at 80mph on the freeway unless you decide to pass someone, and then you hear some engine noise, just like the Fit.

Both the Fiesta ST and the Fit (EX CVT supposedly with additional factory sound dampening) are miles quieter inside than my older Integra or Odyssey. I really don't need anything quieter personally and am quite satisfied with the sound levels of both the newer cars. But I don't sit in my car to enjoy high fidelity sound, I do that at home with a proper sound system.

EDIT: I will add that I settled on the Fit CVT for how quiet it is at 80mph with a relatively low RPM. But yes, not as fun as the stick. At 4K RPM at 80mph for the manual Fit, its another story, which is why I went the CVT route, given I had other manuals to play with. If you decide on the Fiesta or Focus ST, you will miss the cargo space and the high MPG of the Fit, although the Fiesta ST provides good mileage on the highway, almost as good as the Fit. Around town, not nearly as good as the Fit MPG.
Hi tbfit,
Thanks for the updates. really really appreciate it.
i have tested both fiesta/focus st. and tbh, none of them has a cargo space like fit's. and talking about sitting gestures, i have problem sitting in focus st's ricardo ones but not with Fiesta's.
The thing i'm whining about fit's noise is---some of the noise, can be easily avoided with slightly better quality parts. i.e. the wind noise is really really bad and the road noise i assume will be pretty common among all subcomacp hbs. but the consistant tickling sound is driving me crazy lol.

i really hope there can be a ~200HP MT honda fit RS. that's it, end of whining.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by stealthpenguin
You should get a new Fit that's built in Japan and has a manual transmission.
do they have a si version, aka non-same-130hp-so-called-RS version?

Old 06-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by jmsc
I own a 2015 EX CVT. Also owned a 2011 EX CVT and the CVT was worse. Too much hesitation while hunting 1st gear for me. The 2015 CVT is a lot more mannered but not perfect. I would trade/sell your '15 LX and buy something else.

My question to you is if you ever fixed the ticking problem you described?

"...and other weird ticking sound from both head room area and panel area drove me crazy. Design issue?"

I get this also. My ticking comes from the passenger side headliner area near the B-Pillar/anchor bar but its now less ticking noise than when new. Any info much appreciated.
Ha! my wife thought I had some hearing problem lol
yes, it's there still. During summer time since the window is always down or the ac is always on, that ticking noise is rarely audible.
however...
when you drive during night with ac/radio on, the sound comes on and off totally unpredictable.
my explanations:
1) for the headroom area/the are you mentioned, there might be some adhesive problem with the plastic parts/metal parts and the carpet (is this the right word? idk...). if you let your passenger push that area, then most likely that noise will be gone. (this works on my side);
2) for the dashboard noise, I think it's a design flaw since the sound is on and off.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Nope no si honda fit. Hell we didnt get a mugen fit either. The closest you can get to 200 hp hatch on honda is the hatchback civic coming next year. But manual trans is still unknown if that will even come out next year. The only tick i hear is the direct injection or the window making noise when it is 3/4 down. Maybe you can locate that tick. The fit is made in Mexico so the quality is pretty shitty atm.

Quick Reply: 1.5 years with 2015 Fit LX: thoughts and advise needed