3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 Fit Oil Catch Can Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 PM
2016 Fit Oil Catch Can Installation

Bought the small Moroso universal (85497) oil catch can for my 2016 EXL 6MT.
I'm not clear looking at the top rear of the engine which is the PCV hose.
Haven't had the time to really look at it yet from the back side.

I would appreciate any info you can share if you have installed this or a similar oil catch can on a 2015 or 2016 Fit and where/how it is mounted.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ciscofit; 08-03-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Ciscofit

Here is diagam of PCV system. PCV valve is in red and PCV hose you heed to break to put catch can on is in green. It is on the front of the motor and connects to intake at the top. You will probably be the first to do an install on Fit.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/...psod2ahdfc.jpg

James

Old 08-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Thanks, James! This is exactly what I was looking for. Will be a while before I get to the install and figure out the best mounting location for the catch can. Will post a photo at that time.

Eric

Old 08-03-2016, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Might have to do some rerouting (longer hose with a horizontal section - am assuming the can needs to be hanging below the tube, yes?... and it doesn't look like it's routed to be able to do so with the stock hose, looking at mine.....it's a tight squeeze in there) Good luck, keep us posted

Old 08-05-2016, 11:31 PM
why does this seem like one of the dummist/ricer thing possible to do for our 1.5L super Turbo High revving massive blow by engines. sry not to bash but are motors are only 1.5L ultra efficient engines and will not see any benefit but looks/may also just have a bigger drawback and just lose crankcase pressure from that tiny engine

Old 08-05-2016, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nightime
why does this seem like one of the dummist/ricer thing possible to do for our 1.5L super Turbo High revving massive blow by engines. sry not to bash but are motors are only 1.5L ultra efficient engines and will not see any benefit but looks/may also just have a bigger drawback and just lose crankcase pressure from that tiny engine
I can picture it now.....

Modifying federally mandated emissions components in California: emissions test failure due to component tampering/unauthorized modification, no CARB number on the aftermarket parts.

If a dealer sees it.....Warranty void, due to unauthorized modifications

Old 08-06-2016, 04:23 PM
jhn
This is a direct injection thing. Ford Audi, Chevy... It doesn't matter the brand. It's an easy install that won't effect emissions.

I am concerned about this as well. I'm not seeing any noticeable oil around the throttle body, but that still doesn't mean it isn't cycling oil back into the intake. I've got this on my short list as well. I figure it is an easy install that is easily testable. Install it, go drive it (hard), check for oil. If it gathers anything, it's worthwhile. Coked valves are a major pita that I do not want to experience. Cheap insurance.

Direct injection has the opposite effect with carbon build -up from other engines: the harder you drive them, the worse the potential problem with coking.

If it doesn't gather anything, take it off. No harm.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Since the coking is partially from the oil running down the valve guide, and you have to have oil there,,, Not sure the catch can will stop it. Might slow it down though..

Old 08-07-2016, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone

Modifying federally mandated emissions components in California: emissions test failure due to component tampering/unauthorized modification, no CARB number on the aftermarket parts.

Warranty is NOT voided unless the modification can be directly linked to the failure at hand. Complete removal of emission controls can void a warranty. Dealer cannot act on own.

The catch can is, unless the car is run very hard, is not necessary. Ya pays ya money and ya takes yer choice.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:51 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Since the coking is partially from the oil running down the valve guide, and you have to have oil there,,, Not sure the catch can will stop it. Might slow it down though..
Possibly. all direct injection engines are not the same and coking issues are not universally inherent.

Oil on the valve stems and seats itself would be a good thing I would think. It's how the carbonized deposits are getting there that's the question. If it's coming back through the pcv burnt - or partially burnt - maybe the oil is a contributing factor to how the deposits are adhering? I really don't know.

There are many factors that have to be considered. Honda's variable valve timing could be important in reducing this perceived coking problem, like if the valves are closed in the injection phase to shield the stems, as well as better scavenging.

I know a few honda techs and they say they never see these cars (GK Fits) come through the dealerships with coking issues. That doesn't really mean much though.

They seem to think the "Italian tune-ups" help the GK more than hinder it. Go figure.

Out of shear curiosity, I'd like to see what an air/oil separator will gather on one of these engines; if it's actually removing oil from being reintroduced, I'd think that has to mean something.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:54 AM
The oil level in my Fit hasn't dropped appreciably in nearly 10K miles. If the oil isn't disappearing from the crankcase there is none to catch in a catch can!

Old 08-10-2016, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
What about over several years??? I'd imagine it wouldn't take much oil, given time, to "coke" the back of the intake vales, given enough time and the right ("wrong") conditions. OP wants to try, good on him....no harm, no foul. I have no idea whether Honda GDI's are prone to this, but am interested in finding out.

Last edited by Fuelish; 08-10-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
The oil level in my Fit hasn't dropped appreciably in nearly 10K miles. If the oil isn't disappearing from the crankcase there is none to catch in a catch can!
If you were getting a noticeable drop over a 10k mileage span, you have something bigger happening.

I would anticipate maybe an ounce or so. Any amount of oil, even this small amount, would help keep things cleaner by not sending it back into the intake.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
New member just posted a pic of his install... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...5-15-6spd.html

Old 07-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Nightime
Originally Posted by ezone

Both of you you are so wrong. Any owner of a GDI engine should add a catch can. It’s super simple, super cheap, and good insurance against diminishing economy and performance. And brush up on how warranties work please.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by idroveacamry

radium engineering installed on my gk5 hope this helps

anyone have a link, for this setup? I was on their site and all I could find for the honda section was parts for s2k's

Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
anyone have a link, for this setup? I was on their site and all I could find for the honda section was parts for s2k's
FWIW that setup looks wrong. The hose going from the intake manifold to the PCV valve is still intact, which leads me to wonder what the heck this is supposed to be doing.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
After seeing bdcheung's post showing the install, I finally hit the go button and ordered one too. This has been weighing on me since I had my 2015, and now the 2018 is already at about 17,000 miles..

Numbers I just played with so I'll share... Ignore them if you want. I was simply curious.

I keep hearing the same quote, "if you're not losing oil, the engine is fine." So I decided to do REALLY rough math. If a 1/16" inch of oil was missing on the dipstick, I don't think anyone would notice. I don't think the dipstick is accurate enough for someone to care about 1/16" or 1.6mm.

I don't know the surface area of the oil when it is in the oil pan, but if we assume it is half a square foot...

• 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot.
  • (divide the above by 12 means .623 gallons in one 1 inch of oil with a square foot surface area.
  • (divide by 16 to get down to 1/16 of an inch) Rounding up is .04 gallons in a square foot that is 1/16" deep.
  • The .04 gallons equals 5.12 ounces of oil. Finally divide that in half to get half a square foot. 2.56 ounces of oil would be missing from your engine if your dipstick only dropped 1/16"
  • Metric answer: ~1.6mm low on the dipstick would be ~75 milliliter
My point is that an amount of oil someone would likely never notice on the dipstick is still a significant amount of oil.

I'm super excited to get the unit and share results.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
After seeing bdcheung's post showing the install, I finally hit the go button and ordered one too. This has been weighing on me since I had my 2015, and now the 2018 is already at about 17,000 miles.. .....

I'm super excited to get the unit and share results.
Did the same thing today too! On its way to my door! Will share min too! My 2017 has about 15k on it. Just need to pickup some 3/8" fuel line locally to complete the install. I thought about doing this on my 2015 when I had it, but I knew that I wouldnt be keeping it. Wife says im driving this 2017 into the ground....

Like Macgyver always said, "We're all gonna die someday, the trick is not to rush it!" :-)

Old 07-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Gotta get around to installing mine.

Quick Reply: 2016 Fit Oil Catch Can Installation