3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Think cabin carpet...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Limmie
We took one look at our 2016 Fit carpets and almost immediately ordered a full set of Weathertech mats. Not cheap but we live in a snowy state and a couple of hundred dollars amortized over the lifetime of a car is worth it. Some people have complained about passenger side mats slipping but I wonder if adhesive velcro stuck to the bottom of the mat would help?

We have the Weathertec back storage mat but if I were to have a prolonged stretch of using the car in wagon mode I would purchase a small roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting for $15 and cut it to fit the back area.
If you look at the underside of your stock mats you'll see that it's a sticky Velcro like fabric. Not really sure what exactly, but it seems to work quite well for holding the mats in place.

Also: Great idea ��

Old 09-08-2016, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
We took one look at our 2016 Fit carpets and almost immediately ordered a full set of Weathertech mats. Not cheap but we live in a snowy state and a couple of hundred dollars amortized over the lifetime of a car is worth it. Some people have complained about passenger side mats slipping but I wonder if adhesive velcro stuck to the bottom of the mat would help?

We have the Weathertec back storage mat but if I were to have a prolonged stretch of using the car in wagon mode I would purchase a small roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting for $15 and cut it to fit the back area.
Yes, the WeatherTech mats are great....as far as the rear cargo area (similar in idea to yours) I bought a couple of foam rubberish mats from The Home Depot (read about them on another thread here), cut one to fit the rear and cut the other in two parts to cover the rear seats when one or both are folded down....kinda has the raised diamond surface like a manhole cover, or something. The two pieces roll up nice and tight, and I store 'em under the rear seat bungee corded to the folding "legs" of the back seat.....it's low budget, but doesn't look bad, and not pricey for all weather protection of the luggage compartment/rear seat backs. As far as velcro, I tried this on a cheap set of generic rubber mats from Walmart....great idea in theory and worked for a little while, but when the car gets hot in the sun (mine's a black FIT), the adhesive "melts" and the mats moved, getting "melted" adhehesive on the crappy "carpet. The Weathertech's do move a lil, but no one has complained about it, really....the small amount of slide is not enough to be dangerous or anything, really.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
I too was concerned about the felt carpeting and decided to suck it up for a full complement of Weathertech liners for front and back. I was real hesitant because of the price but I've had them for more than a year now and think I made a wise choice for the long term. Absolutely no wear issues so far under the mat and I'm keeping my fingers crossed ...

Old 09-08-2016, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KByers12
If you look at the underside of your stock mats you'll see that it's a sticky Velcro like fabric.
There were no stock mats in our car when we bought it. Just the plastic slab glued to the carpet for the driver. We had an unused set of carpeted mats somebody had given me a year ago which I tossed in for some added protection until we got the kind more suitable for approaching winter.

Last edited by Limmie; 09-08-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
I wore a hole through the rubber mats in my Audi after 1 year of driving (clutch leg). Don't see how this is any different

Old 09-08-2016, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
I bought a couple of foam rubberish mats from The Home Depot (read about them on another thread here), cut one to fit the rear and cut the other in two parts to cover the rear seats when one or both are folded down....kinda has the raised diamond surface like a manhole cover, or something.
I thought about doing that for the entire back but I could just see a leaky milk jug draining on the trip home, the contents running along a rubberized carpet to the edge, then onto the OEM felt. Most of the purpose-made liners have a raised rim. The Weathertec one seemed flexible enough that if you had the seats flat it would also press flat if required. Having the seats up provide support to turn it into a shallow plastic pool.

I do like the idea of having a rolled up mat under the magic seats and will look into making one which could serve as an extender to the Weathertech cargo mat for those occasions where I do need to put down the back seats for cargo. I did notice that if you are 5'7" you can actually just lie down in the cargo area which might be handy for quick catnaps on a long trip or trading drivers. Put the passenger seat as far forward as possible, stick some luggage into the gap between the magic seats and the passenger seat to level it off, then put down a large piece of cheap carpeting to have a continuous flat space.

Last edited by Limmie; 09-08-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
I can't imagine owning a Honda Fit and NOT using mats or liners.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I thought about doing that for the entire back but I could just see a leaky milk jug draining on the trip home, the contents running along a rubberized carpet to the edge, then onto the OEM felt. Most of the purpose-made liners have a raised rim. The Weathertec one seemed flexible enough that if you had the seats flat it would also press flat if required. Having the seats up provide support to turn it into a shallow plastic pool.

I do like the idea of having a rolled up mat under the magic seats and will look into making one which could serve as an extender to the Weathertech cargo mat for those occasions where I do need to put down the back seats for cargo. I did notice that if you are 5'7" you can actually just lie down in the cargo area which might be handy for quick catnaps on a long trip or trading drivers. Put the passenger seat as far forward as possible, stick some luggage into the gap between the magic seats and the passenger seat to level it off, then put down a large piece of cheap carpeting to have a continuous flat space.
actually my "cut to fit" doesn't fit flat, it curves up on all four sides.....and the "seats down" pieces are large enough (uncut other than them being 2 pieces to work with any seat config) to pretty much allow for anything.....I do love Weathertech stuff, just didn't spring for the rear area

Old 09-12-2016, 03:57 AM
The driver side mat got some gum on it so I drove without it for awhile. Finally cleaned it and tossed it back in. Covers that nasty ware.