3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: Do you think your Honda key is
just the right size.
57.14%
a wee bit small.
0%
way too big.
42.86%
nearly as big as the car itself.
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Huge Key

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Cool Huge Key

The key for my 2015 Honda Fit LX is just too big. When I carry it in my pocket, women who I don't even know either get very annoyed or inexplicably interested.

All the car keys I previously owned were simple, plain, normal-sized keys ----and I never once had any problem locking or unlocking my car or driving it.

Now this Honda key suddenly sports four buttons and a key shaft that is easily twice as long as any old car key. By the time I add it to my house key and garden shed key, I wind up with a huge bulge in my pocket. I do not wear a belt or have belt loops, so I am unable to dangle keys outside of my pants.

I think I may have come upon the perfect solution for carrying my keys while I'm not in the car:

Yes, I know this seems a bit extreme. But it's either this wheel barrow or I'm going to sell the Fit and get a car that has a normal size key.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by morgantruce; 09-22-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmmmm.....dunno what kinda cars you've been driving previously, but.....seriously, the metal "key shaft" or whatever ya wanna call it is maybe 1/8" longer than any of our other car keys...the remote/body appears to be about 3/4" longer, but beings as it houses the openeralarm buttons as well, it's a nice size (can't speak for the "keyless entry" cars, ours is an LX). I prefer it to having a seperate key and opener dangling on my keyring.....maybe you need some baggy trousers???

Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
EX/EX-L isn't that big to me to me. The fact that I don't even have to take it out to get into the car and start it up is a big bonus. When I drive the other car I have to switch my brain and reach for the key after tugging on the door handle 3 times and asking myself why it didn't unlock. haha

Old 09-22-2016, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
This is the kind of key which was supplied:

It is 3-7/8" long... or about 1/40th the length of the car!

Even worse, it's a full half inch thick!

Honda knows how to make small cars, but they force you to carry a big hunk of it with you.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
I rented hundreds of cars the 35 years I lived in Manhattan. Not only did the keys get bigger, but they'd give you two hardwired together so you could lose both. Or need physical therapy if you didn't.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:03 PM
The thing I object to is that they put the remote on the key. If you lose the key, anyone who finds it has both the key and the means to casually figure out which Honda the key fits. It's a lot less conspicuous to walk the parking lot trying the button and watching for flashing lights than it is to try a key in a dozen doors.

I've always kept the key and clicker separate and Honda no longer gives that option.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
In the year prior to by 2016 Fit purchase we rented a car almost every weekend. The Fit XL key is actually smaller than most other manufacturers. You have a physical key, a battery and a computer chip running security software on there, so that stuff needs room. The key also has to withstand severe environmental conditions, such as certain owners putting the key through the wash. Overall I'd say the key is just the right size.

And don't lose it. A replacement LX key will cost ~$350 and EX key ~$550.

If you want to lose weight, leave your shed key at home. How often do you open your shed and how often do you drive your Fit?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

I've always kept the key and clicker separate and Honda no longer gives that option.
Seems like more inconvenience that it's worth, keeping them seperate

Old 09-22-2016, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
General Motors made some pretty awful cars, but their keys were a reasonable size.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Seems like more inconvenience that it's worth, keeping them seperate
It's not inconvenient at all.

I keep all my car keys on fobs by themselves, to prevent issues with the ignition locks caused by a pound of keys swinging around. That's what caused the infamous GM ignition switch issue.

The clicker goes in a pocket of the messenger bag I carry. I can even operate it though the fabric of the bag. The clicker never leaves its zippered pocket while the key resides in my trouser pocket. If I lose one, the other is still there. It's never happened (knock on wood) but chance favors the prepared.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
On my 4runner with a conventional key and fob, I have a quick disconnect. So only the key is inserted into the ignition while the fun and house key stay in the pocket. I do that because I hate the sound of keys jingling while driving

I appreciate the the smart fob system in the fit. The whole thing stays in the pocket.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:51 AM
The only thing I don't like about the key for my LX is that when I put it in my pocket sometimes the buttons get pushed locking or unlocking the doors

Old 09-23-2016, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
The thing I object to is that they put the remote on the key. If you lose the key, anyone who finds it has both the key and the means to casually figure out which Honda the key fits. It's a lot less conspicuous to walk the parking lot trying the button and watching for flashing lights than it is to try a key in a dozen doors.

If you wish to have them separated, this seems very doable. Get copy of your key made at your local locksmith, which at a couple dollars will be without the computer chip and battery. Then take apart and remove the key portion from your key fob. The key and fob are now separated.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by morgantruce
The key for my 2015 Honda Fit LX is just too big. When I carry it in my pocket, women who I don't even know either get very annoyed or inexplicably interested.

All the car keys I previously owned were simple, plain, normal-sized keys ----and I never once had any problem locking or unlocking my car or driving it.

Now this Honda key suddenly sports four buttons and a key shaft that is easily twice as long as any old car key. By the time I add it to my house key and garden shed key, I wind up with a huge bulge in my pocket. I do not wear a belt or have belt loops, so I am unable to dangle keys outside of my pants.

I think I may have come upon the perfect solution for carrying my keys while I'm not in the car:

Yes, I know this seems a bit extreme. But it's either this wheel barrow or I'm going to sell the Fit and get a car that has a normal size key.

Any other suggestions?
What kind of cheese do you have with that whine? The EX fob isn't much larger than the old GM car/quarter shown below.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
What kind of cheese do you have with that whine? The EX fob isn't much larger than the old GM car/quarter shown below.
I don't have an EX. I have an LX... and the key is 3-7/8" long and 1/2" thick----just about the size of the chunk of Provolone I just ate.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by morgantruce
I don't have an EX. I have an LX... and the key is 3-7/8" long and 1/2" thick----just about the size of the chunk of Provolone I just ate.
Prefer extra sharp cheddar myself. Two quarter are about 2" and my apartment key is about 3". My suggestions are 1) wear looser pants and/or 2) take advantage of the horny women who are paying too much attention to your crotch.

Last edited by KentFinn; 09-25-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
I suspect that few of you are aware that up until fairly recently nearly all car keys were:

• about 2" long
  • no thicker than 1/8"
  • and could be duplicated in most hardware stores for around a dollar.

Everyone seems to take it for granted that a car key needs to be as big as an ice cream sandwich and cost upwards of $300 to replace.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Times, they are a changin', Morgan. Then damn 'puters make everything fatter...and much more expensive.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
I like everything about my Honda Fit except the key system.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Morgan, have you tried to take your LX key apart? Make a copy of the key part at your local key cutter. Remove the fob's key part and leave it at home, but you'll need to keep the remote part on your keychain. At least split your key is the same size as in previous generations.

Quick Reply: Huge Key