3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Should I be afraid of this used Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Should I be afraid of this used Fit?

Been wanting a Fit and time has come for a different car. I found this and have a few concerns. It's a 2015 EX-L with 5200 miles in Passion Berry Pearl for $12950. Sounds like a low price to me but not a first color choice. Don't know if it warrants a 250 mile ride to see it or not. Guy said he would text me the manufacture date to see if it's an early 2015 that I read to stay away from. What should I be concerned about? Anyone near Philadelphia that can look at it for me?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
I'd get the VIN and phone the DMV to be sure it's not stolen. Yep, I did this with my used 2013 Fit. The VIN will also indicate where it was built. It seems that Japan-built 3rd Gen Fits are preferable from what I read here.

I'd ask the Owner if it's been serviced, has been in any collisions and why he/she is selling it.

If you do buy it, ask to see the Seller's ID and be certain the name matches the name on the Title.

I can appreciate your predicament. I bought my Fit 2-1/2 Hours from home because I just wasn't finding anything appealing locally.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 09-28-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
My early 2015 has been perfect. I know of others owned by neighbors that have been too. Don't believe the rumors that they are all bad.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
The VIN will tell you the most important thing, namely, where it was built. VINs beginning with 3 were made in the Celaya, Mexico plant, whereas VINs beginning with J were made in Japan. I thought all the 2015 Fits were made in Mexico for the US market but I could be wrong.

The Celaya plant had all kinds of teething problems during early production. Warping brake rotors seem to be the biggest complaint, but there were many other QC issues. Search this forum for details.

When my GD3 was totaled by a red light runner this year, I was looking at used and new Fits, and specifically sought out a J-VIN GK5 over a 3-VIN, just to avoid the QC issues. So far, the only problem I've run into with the J-VIN is the Firestone tires!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:15 PM
I think you should consider a Chevy Cruze.

Passion Berry Pearl is way too cool a color for you.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
I believe that all 2015s were Mexico-built.

Also would check to make sure that it does not have a rebuilt/reconstructed title.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badyellowvette
Been wanting a Fit and time has come for a different car. I found this and have a few concerns. It's a 2015 EX-L with 5200 miles in Passion Berry Pearl for $12950. Sounds like a low price to me but not a first color choice. Don't know if it warrants a 250 mile ride to see it or not. Guy said he would text me the manufacture date to see if it's an early 2015 that I read to stay away from. What should I be concerned about? Anyone near Philadelphia that can look at it for me?
I checked the 2015 EX-L Fits and the only issue was the seats were too hot for Florida, otherwise it was the same mechanics as the EX.

Get the CarFax to see if in a Flood or Salvage, as I can get you a Salvaged rebuild for $8000 here in Miami.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:58 AM
I have seen the Vin and it was built in Mexico. Is there anyone on the forum that can run a CarFax? If it was a different color I would already own it. Not that I don't like that color I just don't want to work so hard to keep it clean.

Last edited by badyellowvette; 09-29-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:29 AM
Was just sent a picture of the manufacture tag inside the door, built 1/15. I should be afraid shouldn't I?

Old 09-29-2016, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Was just sent a picture of the manufacture tag inside the door, built 1/15. I should be afraid shouldn't I?
Mine was build 12/14 and bought 3/15. I've had 2 recalls and a few warranty claims. So far drive train has been not been a problem. If the car is still under warranty, then I don't know why the fear.

Seems like a really good price, so I see why you'd be cautious though.

Carfax it, but remember not everything is reported on Carfax but good to get at least a baseline. If there are red flags on Carfax, it's cheaper than spending the few hours to drive to and back.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
My "fear" wouldn't be based necessarily on where it was built.

My concerns would be manifested from the fact that it's less than a year old, EX-L, with less than 6000 miles on it, and it's being sold for 12,950.

If there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, I'd think the seller could get that much or more for it on a straight trade in. Honda Fits generally hold their value.

My instinct is the old "It's too good to be true" feeling.

Could be a good deal. But I also fall in the be skeptical, and run a carfax, and try to get as much information about it's history as possible camp.

if you find evidence of anything the owner isn't disclosing in it's history I'd pass.
Carfax's aren't that expensive, I'd get the VIN and run it yourself.

Also, my opinion, based on my own experience is that sometimes we can talk ourselves into "compromising" on a vehicle color.

But in my life, I've bought 2 vehicles where I just accepted a color I didn't particularly like, and in both cases, I never really got to fully like or appreciate the vehicle.

Color IMO can be very important. It's the first thing you see every time you walk towards your vehicle.
If it's a color you are absolutely NOT going to like?
I wouldn't necessarily sweep that under the carpet. Chances are, if you don't like the color today, you won't like it tomorrow either.

That being said? Passion Berry Pearl isn't so bad. Has kind of a "wine" look to it. Somewhat unique, but also "classy". I think I could like it.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
My "fear" wouldn't be based necessarily on where it was built.

My concerns would be manifested from the fact that it's less than a year old, EX-L, with less than 6000 miles on it, and it's being sold for 12,950.

If there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, I'd think the seller could get that much or more for it on a straight trade in. Honda Fits generally hold their value.

My instinct is the old "It's too good to be true" feeling.

Could be a good deal. But I also fall in the be skeptical, and run a carfax, and try to get as much information about it's history as possible camp.

if you find evidence of anything the owner isn't disclosing in it's history I'd pass.
Carfax's aren't that expensive, I'd get the VIN and run it yourself.

Also, my opinion, based on my own experience is that sometimes we can talk ourselves into "compromising" on a vehicle color.

But in my life, I've bought 2 vehicles where I just accepted a color I didn't particularly like, and in both cases, I never really got to fully like or appreciate the vehicle.

Color IMO can be very important. It's the first thing you see every time you walk towards your vehicle.
If it's a color you are absolutely NOT going to like?
I wouldn't necessarily sweep that under the carpet. Chances are, if you don't like the color today, you won't like it tomorrow either.

That being said? Passion Berry Pearl isn't so bad. Has kind of a "wine" look to it. Somewhat unique, but also "classy". I think I could like it.
You are absolutely right on the color choice. Thanks for reminding me. My current car I bought because of price and miles but I hated the color and I have hated the car ever since. And its not that I hated the color of the Fit or my car but I have to drive a clean car or it drives me nuts. I don't want to be seen in a dirty car and those dark colors are too hard to keep clean when you drive 44 miles one way to work. I have been looking for a yellow, white or red Fit when I found this one.

One more thing. I was interested at this price over new because the mpg just isn't there in a Fit for me. But I thought for that price I would live with it. My HHR gets 35 mpg now and I hate to spend over $20,000 to get the same mpg.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Any time someone is selling a car with only 5000 miles on it there must be an extraordinary reason for doing so. I'd be very wary.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
5000$ more will get you in a new 2017 and the color of your choice.... Just sayin.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
I don't want to be seen in a dirty car and those dark colors are too hard to keep clean when you drive 44 miles one way to work. I have been looking for a yellow, white or red Fit when I found this one.
Well color still is so subjective. I mean, I think the key is just to be happy with the color YOU like.

For example, while I think the color of the vehicle IS important, I actually like dark color vehicles. ( 3rd Black Vehicle in my Lifetime ).

Previous vehicle I went with a "lighter" color on the recommendations of many who kept telling me how hard it was to keep Black clean. And...I hated it it.

I live in The Northwest, so lots of rain, and my experience has been as long as I keep a good coat of wax on Black....it's stays pretty clean just from rain storm to rain storm. Maybe this wouldn't be the case if I lived in a dryer, dustier climate.

But I find Black just to be honest. It let's you know when it is dirty...and it looks GREAT when it is clean. And I'd rather look good...when I look good, than drive a Candy Store color...that might "hide" dirt a little better.

But...really, you just have to get a color you like...white, black or otherwise.
What you like is what you like. Just don't get something you KNOW you don't like, because the compromise will come back to haunt you.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Any time someone is selling a car with only 5000 miles on it there must be an extraordinary reason for doing so. I'd be very wary.

This is not always the case - I just traded my 2015 FIT EX in with 4,200 miles on it and it was a great little car - I just couldn't be bothered with the 6speed in the constant stop-and go city traffic I endure daily now.

Sometimes people need to get rid of cars quickly, and in order to do so they sell low.

As long as you do your due diligence, and the warranty is still valid, I would say don't worry. If the color is a big deal, and you don't mind paying more $ for one in a color you love, then wait and find that one.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carrier
This is not always the case - I just traded my 2015 FIT EX in with 4,200 miles on it and it was a great little car. Sometimes people need to get rid of cars quickly, and in order to do so they sell low.
But I think suspicion is still warranted.
Because this ISN'T a trade in, this is a private party sale. And they are selling for less than I think they could get for a trade in.

It could be either a very good deal, or a trap.

Due diligence, including Carfax and as much information about the vehicles past and the reason the seller is selling...at least get them to tell you their story, I think is very much warranted.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Call one of their local dealers and see if they would do a PPI for you (pre-purchase inspection). They will charge for it (need to know how much for that too). I've done this with many cars I've purchased over the internet but I've never asked a Honda dealer if they would provide that service.

If the seller won't take the car there for a PPI, move on to the next car. If they don't have a problem with it, odds are, it may pass.

Steve

Old 10-07-2016, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
You should NOT be afraid of a 1/15 build. My Milano Red EX 6 speed was built 12/14. No mechanical problems and only one recall. No fitment problems I have noticed, very minor clutch/starter problem. Much of the Mexico-phobia is exaggerated.

Quick Reply: Should I be afraid of this used Fit?