3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
paddle shifters

Does anyone use their paddle shifters? I don't deliberately use them, but I often accidentally shift when my fingers bump the paddle as I'm turning the wheel. If they were removable, I would remove them. The only time I can image paddle shifting is during a descent of Pike's Peak.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
I've used them just to mess around, but not while driving regularly.

Putting it in S mode, does mostly what I want if I'm feeling spunky.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I've used them just to mess around, but not while driving regularly.

Putting it in S mode, does mostly what I want if I'm feeling spunky.
Pretty much the same, but I did use them on some Wisconsin back roads and enjoyed getting the hang of them.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:39 AM
I seem to have developed a reflexive avoidance of the paddles when they are not needed. I like using them on most North Georgia drives for coming down a lot of hills, and the occasional mountain grade (perhaps not Pikes Peak). More routinely, I use them around Atlanta to combine both pedal and engine braking and speed adjustment to further extend the life of my brake pads. They also work out well for very infrequent bumper-to-bumper crawls (retired, so not trapped into daily commute challenges).

Old 11-03-2016, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I have had them on my 2010, and I have them on my EX.

I didn't use them, and I don't use them.

I've been told it''s a "Generational" or age thing. Where younger drivers are more use to the paddle shift feel because of playing video games.

For me? It just doesn't feel right. I barely use them at all.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:21 PM
I use mine all the time, in and out of S mode, I always downshift when decelerating and usually only upshift in S mode. I'm in my mid 50's so I don't think it's generational, it's more about how involved you are in driving I think.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
I use mine a LOT for long hill decent they rock, don't have to ride the brake and it holds back just fine.

For regular driving I occasionally hit S mode to get on a freeway if its a short/steep onramp.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
I use mine a LOT for long hill decent they rock, don't have to ride the brake and it holds back just fine.
Agreed. We recently came back from a very mountainous 10 day road trip and used third through fifth gears quite extensively going down hills for engine braking. Not sure how I would have accomplished this level of control in the LX model.

Name:  XvzwBtZ.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  266.2 KB

Last edited by tbFit; 11-03-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
Not sure how I would have accomplished this level of control in the LX model.
With a manual tranny

Old 11-04-2016, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
when I test drove the CVT I kept hitting downshift when I wanted upshift ... I was giving the salesman a real case of agita.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮
I use mine all the time, in and out of S mode, I always downshift when decelerating and usually only upshift in S mode. I'm in my mid 50's so I don't think it's generational, it's more about how involved you are in driving I think.
May not be.
I just remember a similar discussion years ago, about the paddle shifters on my 2010 Honda Fit where I admitted to not using them, and I was told that my unfamiliarity with them might come from NOT playing video games that have similar "paddle" like gear changes.

If you like the option?
I think great.
I've experimented both years ago with my 2010, and again with my new 2016, and I just can't get into using them. I call "S" mode...the "S"tupid mode because it makes my automatic transmission forget how to shift.
I know that's the whole point...to allow user input..but I've driven manual transmissions before, and it just doesn't feel right to me.

I can see where in climbing hills or maybe in snow or ice, having the option might be useful.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I don't see how the paddle shifters are related to "video games" whatsoever. Whoever told you that must think "button" = "video game". (don't mean any offense to you)

According to wikipedia, the first paddle shifter interface could be found as early as 1912, way before any video games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-a...c_transmission

Also, formula one cars use paddle shifters.

In my view, paddle shifters are much faster and way more consistent with changing gears over a manual stick-shift/clutch. Also, as tbfit says, they are very useful going down hills and mountains. However, to answer the OP's question, no, I don't really use mine either, lol.

Last edited by bob89; 11-04-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bob89
I don't see how the paddle shifters are related to "video games" whatsoever. Whoever told you that must think "button" = "video game". (don't mean any offense to you)

According to wikipedia, the first paddle shifter interface could be found as early as 1912, way before any video games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-a...c_transmission

Also, formula one cars use paddle shifters.

In my view, paddle shifters are much faster and way more consistent with changing gears over a manual stick-shift/clutch. Also, as tbfit says, they are very useful going down hills and mountains. However, to answer the OP's question, no, I don't really use mine either, lol.
Can't really argue or defend it one way or another.
But having grown up learning how to shift a manual transmission with a clutch, I do think there is a generational difference.

Many young people coming up, not even learning how to drive a manual. For them? There is probably a familiarity link to "shifting" in a video game like manner...which would be like pressing paddle shifters.

Doesn't really matter though.

I'm not a big fan of the paddle shifters regardless.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by tbFit
Agreed. We recently came back from a very mountainous 10 day road trip and used third through fifth gears quite extensively going down hills for engine braking. Not sure how I would have accomplished this level of control in the LX model.
Engine braking on an LX? Easy! Just set the cruise control about 5MPH below the desired speed and the transmission will hold the desired speed all the way down any mild downgrade.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Does anyone use their paddle shifters? I don't deliberately use them, but I often accidentally shift when my fingers bump the paddle as I'm turning the wheel. If they were removable, I would remove them. The only time I can image paddle shifting is during a descent of Pike's Peak.
i suppose if u want to downshift to pass someone on a bicycle or something u could use it.

on da GK, its best to keep it in sport mode and NOT use the paddles imo

Old 11-09-2016, 12:19 PM
I use them all the time in D mode, never in S, mostly for:

- Arriving to a red light I almost use no brakes a all, downshift untill in 1st and almost stopping, then brake.

- When going into a sharp turn, downshift to get some engine brake and set the weight forward, turn and press the gas, the CVT will keep the selected gear until needed or red line arrives (depending on how hard you accelerate) then return to D mode.

- Going down on slopes to avoid brake wear, as lots of people have already post.

This is my first auto car (I'm 57) so I tend to do with the paddles what I usually did on manuals.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx

Agreed, I love the CVT paddles. I recently took a 1800 mile winter trip through the Canadian Rockies. It was my Fit's first road trip. There was plenty of snow, ice, freezing rain and 8% grades. It was so convenient to downshift with the steering wheel controls -- I think I'll start using the paddles around town on the hills instead of using the brakes.

I was surprised the fuel economy gauge remained pegged at 90mpg on downhills no matter whether I was using D4 or D7. How does downshifting work, I mean, why doesn't it affect fuel economy?

Last edited by Press Fit; 02-21-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by gusvera
I use them all the time in D mode, never in S, mostly for:

- Arriving to a red light I almost use no brakes a all, downshift untill in 1st and almost stopping, then brake.

- When going into a sharp turn, downshift to get some engine brake and set the weight forward, turn and press the gas, the CVT will keep the selected gear until needed or red line arrives (depending on how hard you accelerate) then return to D mode.

- Going down on slopes to avoid brake wear, as lots of people have already post.

This is my first auto car (I'm 57) so I tend to do with the paddles what I usually did on manuals.
Doesn't that add more wear on the CVT Belt?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gusvera

Not that I don't do this with my manual, but...brakes are a cheaper repair than a worn trans ... just sayin'

Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Engine braking will save the brakes for the turns on long downhills. I used the paddle shifters constantly to provide engine braking and safe speed on a recent mountainous road trip.

Quick Reply: paddle shifters