3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cyl 4 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Question Cyl 4 misfire

2015 Fit EX CVT. Having issues diagnosing a cyl 4 misfire (P0304). Car just passed 36k miles and is now out of warranty, but the issues started with a couple hundred miles left. Took it to the local Honda dealer, they confirmed the codes and said there was a service issue or something for that particular reason and it wouldn't cost me anything. They replaced the coil for cyl 4 (possibly all 4 coils for all I know) and the code stayed clear for about 5 days. Now its back and I don't know if I want to keep messing with the dealer or not. Car drives fine, idles smooth, doesn't sound like it has a miss at all, but keeps throwing the code. I get TPMS light blinking then goes to steady on, CEL, VSA light, and Steering light all come on due to this code. Has anybody else had any issues similar to this or have any suggestions? I cleared the code this morning and plan to swap coils with another cyl to see if the misfire moves, but will take the car back to the dealer after the lights come back on. I also received a code (U code) for "lost communication with instrument panel cluster control module" when the lights first came on, but everything worked fine and haven't had that one since.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tw142808
2015 Fit EX CVT. Having issues diagnosing a cyl 4 misfire (P0304). Car just passed 36k miles and is now out of warranty, but the issues started with a couple hundred miles left. Took it to the local Honda dealer, they confirmed the codes and said there was a service issue or something for that particular reason and it wouldn't cost me anything. They replaced the coil for cyl 4 (possibly all 4 coils for all I know) and the code stayed clear for about 5 days. Now its back and I don't know if I want to keep messing with the dealer or not. Car drives fine, idles smooth, doesn't sound like it has a miss at all, but keeps throwing the code. I get TPMS light blinking then goes to steady on, CEL, VSA light, and Steering light all come on due to this code. Has anybody else had any issues similar to this or have any suggestions? I cleared the code this morning and plan to swap coils with another cyl to see if the misfire moves, but will take the car back to the dealer after the lights come back on. I also received a code (U code) for "lost communication with instrument panel cluster control module" when the lights first came on, but everything worked fine and haven't had that one since.
The powertrain warranty is 5 year/60k mi. Should still be under warranty for quite a while.

Keep going back to the dealer until its fixed.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by andre181
The powertrain warranty is 5 year/60k mi. Should still be under warranty for quite a while.

Keep going back to the dealer until its fixed.
So if the powertrain (which I'm assuming covers engine and transmission primarily) is 5/60k then what did the 3/36k cover? I have never dealt with a warranty before as this is my first vehicle that's ever had one. my understanding of such things is very incomplete.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
The 3 yr/36k warranty essentially covers the entire vehicle, from "bumper to bumper". Excluding consumables and wear and tear like brakes, fluids, etc.

So things like your radio, sunroof, etc. were covered before, and now are not.

You are correct, the powertrain warranty covers engine and transmission components.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 AM
I admire your ability to purchase a big ticket item without complete comprehension of the warranties involved. You have a type of faith that many of us just don't have.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
I admire your ability to purchase a big ticket item without complete comprehension of the warranties involved. You have a type of faith that many of us just don't have.
It was more of in a pinch. Had to replace a daily with over 250k miles that leaks oil like a siv and smokes like a 2-stroke. It was more feasable to buy a new car that somebody else hadnt had the chance to rag out than to keep driving my project/daily

Old 12-05-2016, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
To get back to the original issue:

For sure, bring it back to the dealer. Don't 'start over' with a different shop. And don't give up...just because it's inconvenient to visit the dealer. Don't use your own OBD reader to clear the codes either (you may be masking the issue as the codes remain in memory even without a CEL).

Since the car should be continued to be diagnosed by the dealer, don't swap the coils 'just yet'. But mention to the service writer if THEY should try swapping coils as a diagnostic.

Ask to talk to the tech that works on the car. Often, with a dealer's Service Writer scenario, communication problems result.

Make sure they note on the service order "Second Request". Be nice at all times (intermittent issues can be difficult to resolve).

Good Luck! Post back with the results.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
>>deleted - format error

Last edited by DaveGee; 12-05-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Formatting error
Old 12-05-2016, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Speak for yourself. I doubt most buyers read the warranty before purchasing. I didn't. What are you going to do, not buy the car because you didn't like the fine print? Most auto warranty is about the same 3yr/36K or 5yr/50K, except for Hyundai, which covers power train engine/trans for 10yr/100K, limited warranty.

Last edited by wasserball; 12-05-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
+1 what wasserball said.

DaveGee

Old 12-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Well I generally don't like the mess with things somebody else will be working on, but I did clear the codes yesterday and swapped the coils. the plan was to wait for the code to come back, see if it moved with the coil, and get it back in to the dealer. Code is back already and it did not move with the coil. There's only one dealer near me without having to drive an hour anyway, so taking it to the same place won't be an issue, but I also know this place will keep swapping in new coils until I hit 60k miles just because its quick, easy, and they "fixed the problem". They would rather spend the money on new coils and a 10 min job than actually diagnose and repair the real issue. At least now I can tell them that a new coil will do no good.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:17 PM
FYI, I just brought my 2015 FIT (30000 miles) to the dealer for 2 misfires (P0302, P0304). All coils were replaced at 15000 miles under recall, so these puppies are BRAND new.

My dealer is replacing the injectors under waranty, there's a technical service bulletin out about injectors may affect combustion and possible misfires 2015 Honda Fit TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | HondaProblems.com

ALSO, at low RPM, under a good load, I've been having this creaking sound that I thought might come from the suspension, along with hesitation. The dealer said the sound might actually be from the injectors, and that these problems might be related.

The repair hasn't been done yet, I'll keep you guys posted once it's done if I still have the noise/hesitation problem.

Glenn.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Mine is showig no symptoms of misfire other than the code. Took it back down to the dealer this morning and was told spark plugs and coil packs aren't cover by the powertrain warranty and it could possibly cost me. Of course i mention that its an ongoing issue from before the 36k miles and they continued to give me the walk around on the issue. I'll see what I find out this afternoon when I pick it up.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by tw142808
Mine is showig no symptoms of misfire other than the code. Took it back down to the dealer this morning and was told spark plugs and coil packs aren't cover by the powertrain warranty and it could possibly cost me. Of course i mention that its an ongoing issue from before the 36k miles and they continued to give me the walk around on the issue. I'll see what I find out this afternoon when I pick it up.

#1 -> I'm surprised coil pack are not covered Under powertrain....
#2 -> Talk to them about the technical service bulletin on injectors ! The TSB specifically says misfires can be caused by the problematic injectors !! The packs themselves might not be the problem, and injectors might (should IMHO) fall under powertrain waranty.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Took it back down to the dealer this morning and was told spark plugs and coil packs aren't cover by the powertrain warranty and it could possibly cost me.
Look in your Warranty booklet (and call Honda Customer Service) to verify what is covered.

It's true that stuff that has a replacement interval (brakes, sparkplugs, filters) is not covered (unless they deem a Manufacturing Defect). Coils are a grey area...ask CS and the dealer to show you a replacement recommendation from Honda. Bet they don't have one. (unlike brakes, where they have you check them periodically on other services.)

++++++++++++++++

A bit of history:

The coils on our '99 Acura were working fine at 185K miles; our CR-Vs are doing well at 165K miles also. We replaced the coils on our '07 Fit at 120K miles when misfires occurred.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Looks like coils / injectors are NOT covered by powertrain...

Page 17 http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/W...s/AWL50465.pdf.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
I see that....

Cyl 4 misfire-fit-warranty.jpg

Covered under FEDERAL warranty. (How does that work with Canadians???)
California might be more coverage.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Here's the warranty booklet for canucks like me up north: https://www.honda.ca/Content/honda.c...Warranty_E.pdf

It's pretty much identical coverage, I'd have to take the time to find the actual différences, which I won't

Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Well took the car to the dealer today and they are going to order spark plugs and try that. I mentioned the injectors to them and they said they have to try plugs first. Thought I was going to have a fight on my hands because they said thats not covered by powertrain, but once I commented about it being a pre-existing issue before the car reached 36k miles, they quickly changed tone.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
I had the same issue with those lights lighting up the dashboard last year. Engine ran fine with the check engine light on. Dealer replaced injectors under warranty (read: they did not charge me a penny) at 27k kms, and am now at 78k kms; everything is running good, no issues.

Quick Reply: Cyl 4 misfire