3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Replacing my Fit with Prius c

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Replacing my Fit with Prius c

hi, I'm thinking about replacing my Fit 2016 lx with Prius c two

I never owned a hybrid before.

have any of you owned/drove Prius c before so he can tell the deference ?

I know Prius c is expensive for the gas that it should save, but I found one for unbeatable price, Prius c trim two with 10k for $12000 !

I've been told it has wind/road noise, but Fit has that too, I just don't know how its deferent.

Prius c mpg is 53/48
Fit 33/40

Last edited by salamlaith; 12-21-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Alot is going to depend on your city km/miles travelled vs highway km/miles travelled. The Prius C and Fit are not that far apart on highway mileage. And keep in mind that those batteries are very expensive to replace. Now replacing a battery is more how long to you plan to keep the car, but that same logic applies to the savings in gas. The longer you keep the car, the greater the savings.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
I'd keep the Fit, personally....Toyota builds mighty fine appliances, if that's all you want from a car. My 6 spd LX FIT is more fun than it has a right to be....I can't see any Prius model being a whole lotta fun...The Prius C don't look bad at all, though

Last edited by Fuelish; 12-21-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Comparison

http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/honda_fit_2015-vs-toyota_prius-c_2015

Old 12-21-2016, 04:39 PM
FWIW, we owned a Prius C. Definitely not a real Prius. The fuel mileage is about 10% better than the Fit. I personally think the Fit quality is better, as is the resale value. I would consider a CPO Prius C rather than take the hit of a new one. There are a lot of them in the used market in our area.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
the only reason i would go with fit is for the manual transmission.. if it wasn't for that... i would love to have other cars, especially acura's and lexus's and a few trucks which includes ridgelines... but because of the unavailable manual transmission.. iam just sticking it out with this fit until a car I like arrives in a manual.

if you are going for the long distance haul, i would not go with either Fit or a Prius, as both wheel bases are rather short there are much more comfortable cars. If you are going for pure city driving the prius C might be for you!

Old 12-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Comfort in vehicle goes well beyond wheel base. I prefer my 2016 Fit over the 2005 LS430 my parents drive (which I have driven myself for well over 10k in long trips), but I prefer the handling & nimbless of a smaller car (never mind the floaty feeling the Lexus provides). Perhaps when I am 70 years old, I might need that floaty cushion, lol. And why own something bigger than needed, the Fit carries the 4 of us comfortably and is my primary commuter car (100k per day), something bigger uses more fuel and gains nothing.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
I did a very quick comparison between Fit LX CVT $16,450 vs Prius C2 $20,340 whether the difference in cost justify the saving in fuel. In this example, the assumptions: 100,000 miles 60% highway 40% city. Cost of fuel $2.25/gallon. Honda Fit LX CVT 33/41 city/highway vs Prius C2 53/46 city/highway.

Total cost of fuel for 100K miles Honda Fit $6,020. Prius C2 $4,633, a savings of $1,387. If we extend the same cost of fuel for 200K miles, the savings becomes $2,774 still not enough to recover the initial difference in purchase cost of $3,890. From a financial point, the extra cost is up front, and the savings is most likely over a period of 10-15 years. If your plan is to keep the car only for 3-5 years, the Prius loses even more due to higher depreciation.

Use your own specific example and I doubt you can justify the initial cost difference. And, from a mechanical system point of view, you are dealing with two systems, battery motors and a 4 cylinder engine which is more complicated than the single 4 cylinder engine in the Fit. If you live in CA, you can justify by assuming that the Prius is greener than the Fit, and you are allowed to drive in the HOV lane without a passenger. I bought the Fit for its large amount space, simplicity in design, and fuel economy, and so far it has not disappointed.

Last edited by wasserball; 12-21-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
a taxi driver once told me on a very good day he can maybe get 50mpg on his Prius... this includes a lot of hwy miles.

given said dat, is the 7-8mpg difference really going to make a difference? u risk taking a hit on a used car monetarily for a mere 7-8mpg difference? lol. I definitely would just keep the LX.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by salamlaith
I've been told it has wind/road noise, but Fit has that too, I just don't know how its deferent.
Oh, it's very deferent, very deferent.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
.... If you live in CA, you can justify by assuming that the Prius is greener than the Fit, and you are allowed to drive in the HOV lane without a passenger. ...
Well, not anymore in SoCal. You now need to be full electric to get that HOV benefit with 1 person in the car.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:49 AM
I just read the car and driver Prius C review. They summed up their review with "it has wheels and gets good mileage" that's the positive. sounds like there is a reason you can get a slightly used so cheap. also there may be a car specific reason that car was traded so quickly. the PC has 99 horsepower vs the Fits 130. The slight increase in gas mileage is the only benefit of the PC. watch the youtube with the following title:

"I rolled my Honda Fit 7 times and caught it on my dash camera".

if I new how to attach a link I'd dedicate a thread to that video but its one more reason the Fit is better than the Yaris/Prius C.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Will this be a salvage title car like your current Fit? If so, maybe getting away from some of the unexplained issues you've seen may be worth the cost of the upgrade...

I looked at the Prius C when shopping for a commuter car and I couldn't justify the price difference. Another member posted the numbers and fell in line with what I was seeing. The upfront costs would eventually even out after so much driving, but why wait that long. I read too many reviews of the "wooden" feel of the Prius C. Also the interior is nicer on the Fit.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
Well, not anymore in SoCal. You now need to be full electric to get that HOV benefit with 1 person in the car.
Thanks for the update.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Just adding my 2 cents. I agree that wasserball's point about also viewing this from a financial perspective is useful. However, the op is considering a used prius c, not a new one.

Before I bought my fit, I was also considering a prius c. The used ones around my area happened to be in comparable condition and price, so financially, the prius c would have produced benefits immediately with its higher mileage. (obviously depends on how much of your route is local/city. my route happens to be 100% city)

I would suggest actually taking a look at a prius c in person and perhaps even taking one on a test drive. The thing the really struck out for me (which was also the biggest factor against the prius c) was the seemingly lack of space inside the prius c. The exteriors between the prius c and the fit are kinda similar, but the interior is like night and day. When sitting in the prius c, I found that the headliner and A-pillar were really, really close to my head. (and I'm not even that tall). It made the car feel really cramped.

But man, that habanero color on the prius c though. Spicy! Much better than the dull orange that the fit had.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
a taxi driver once told me on a very good day he can maybe get 50mpg on his Prius... this includes a lot of hwy miles.

given said dat, is the 7-8mpg difference really going to make a difference? u risk taking a hit on a used car monetarily for a mere 7-8mpg difference? lol. I definitely would just keep the LX.
I'm doing 35-37 mpg on my Fit, its really depends on how you drive and the weather, I might can do 40 mpg but I'm not going to drive that slow.

the Prius c will save me $250-300 every year, not a big deal but it might be considerable.
I don't see risk in buying low mileage car with clean carfax for a good price.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by bladhmadh
I just read the car and driver Prius C review. They summed up their review with "it has wheels and gets good mileage" that's the positive. sounds like there is a reason you can get a slightly used so cheap. also there may be a car specific reason that car was traded so quickly. the PC has 99 horsepower vs the Fits 130. The slight increase in gas mileage is the only benefit of the PC. watch the youtube with the following title:

"I rolled my Honda Fit 7 times and caught it on my dash camera".

if I new how to attach a link I'd dedicate a thread to that video but its one more reason the Fit is better than the Yaris/Prius C.
I enjoyed watching the YouTube, Honda fit is a better car in many aspects.
the only things that I'm thinking of that Prius c has better over Fit are
1- Prius c has higher mpg
2- Prius c is using PFI fuel injection engine, it gives you a peas of mind that this engine will last almost forever without major problem, in the other hand Honda Fit 3rd gen is using GDI it gives higher HP (130hp from 1.5cc engine!!!) but the down side is carbon build up on the intake valves .
check this link
3-Prius C has Auto climate control which is a big deal for me )

Old 12-22-2016, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Fit = Automobile enthusiast.

Prius = I give up.

YMMV,

DaveGee

Old 12-22-2016, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by DaveGee
Fit = Automobile enthusiast.

Prius = I give up.

YMMV,

DaveGee