3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Too Frequent Service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Too Frequent Service?

I drive my 2015 EX about 5K mile a year. Most trips are short (a few miles) and the car seldom gets a chance to really warm up or run for a while at highway speeds. So, I started get the oil and filter changed every six months even though I usually have 70% left on the minder. My original dealer thought this was a good idea but now I've moved and new dealer thinks I'm crazy and should wait the year or two until the car tells me it's time for service. I like my present plan because they do a multi-point check on everything from the brakes to battery condition, wash the car and reset the tire pressure. I should mention that I am 82 and disabled and I don't know if I would feel comfortable going 12 or 18 months between checks. It cost about $35 each time which I don't feel is too bad an investment for the peace of mind. Would be interested in hearing what other owners think. Should I just wait for the minder to tell me it's time for service?

Old 01-26-2017, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
For your driving habits (not much mileage, short distances, I am similar), my dealer told me to change oil every year. The oil filter is rated at every other oil change. I would stick with what is in the 2015 Fit user manual, which is to follow the maintenance minder. The manual says nothing about a yearly oil change for low mileage drivers.

2016 Fit Owner's Guide, pp 114 states to change the oil ever 12 months if the service light does not turn on.

Changing the oil twice a year for low mileage drivers seems very wasteful. The oil is still clearly good, with 70% life left.

For me I followed the maintenance minder.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 01-26-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Roughly the same (6.5k per year), and I do an annual service per the manual.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I only do my hobby cars' oil changes (that get driven 2-5k miles a year) only once a year.

I use Mobil1, but even with dino oil should be plenty.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
If OP wants to change his oil every six months then I don't see any problem with that. If that's his level of comfort then so be it. Whenever this subject comes up people here get so uptight as if some kind of religious taboo is being violated. Gee whiz.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 PM
He's asking if he should. We're giving our opinions. That's what he's asking for.

Mine is that it's a waste of time, money and resources to change the oil too frequently.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
I only do my hobby cars' oil changes (that get driven 2-5k miles a year) only once a year.

I use Mobil1, but even with dino oil should be plenty.

100 percent. My two hobbie cars get driven a lot less, 700mi yr. Change oil once a year.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Once a year a recommended and fine. I have several low mileage vehicles and I do them every fall.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:38 AM
The manual recommends every 12 months if you dont reach the mileage.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
xtina- please tell ur fellow canadian to read da manual like u did.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
xtina- please tell ur fellow canadian to read da manual like u did.
ok has to have at least 10 letters to post

Last edited by wasserball; 01-27-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
I think your original dealer, thought it was a great idea to change the oil every 6 months...for him.

Make sure you are using the synthetic proper grade oil.
But then just follow the maintenance minder....with the caveat of changing it at least once per year, if you chronologically pass that point before the maintenance minder warns you.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleriver
I drive my 2015 EX about 5K mile a year. Most trips are short (a few miles) and the car seldom gets a chance to really warm up or run for a while at highway speeds. So, I started get the oil and filter changed every six months even though I usually have 70% left on the minder. My original dealer thought this was a good idea but now I've moved and new dealer thinks I'm crazy and should wait the year or two until the car tells me it's time for service. I like my present plan because they do a multi-point check on everything from the brakes to battery condition, wash the car and reset the tire pressure. I should mention that I am 82 and disabled and I don't know if I would feel comfortable going 12 or 18 months between checks. It cost about $35 each time which I don't feel is too bad an investment for the peace of mind. Would be interested in hearing what other owners think. Should I just wait for the minder to tell me it's time for service?
In many ways, we are alike. I'm 76 and minimally handicapped (artificial right foot). I have 21 month old Fit EX manual 6 speed. The Fit has less than 4k miles on it. The oil has been changed once due to a leaky oil filter at about 1,600 miles. That oil has about 60% "life" left. When it gets to 40%, I'll take advantage of the free change I got at purchase.

My late mother-in-law went into near panic when her Toyota got within 100 miles of 3,000. Nothing could convince her otherwise, not even her very good mechanic.

My opinion, do what you wish. It's your car, your money, you peace of mind.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Your mileage accumulation is similar to mine. Except I drive every day to work (short trip < 7 miles each direction), sometimes I get called in in the middle of the night. So a lot of start and stops in a week.

I definitely would change it annually if your mileage is that low. Oil does degrade over time when it is exposed to combustion byproducts and just sitting in the crankcase.

Personally I would do every 6-7 months depending on your driving condition though. At the end of the day, its your car and your $$$. Do what you can to protect your investment.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
id be more more worried about ur battery with under 7miles per trip.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
I don't throw-out ketchup when it passes the expiration date. It was ketchup before the expiration date and it is still ketchup the day after the expiration date. A 365 day expiration date on motor oil is the same thing.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Simply put, oil can sit a long time in a container on a shelf. Once it's run in an engine it can begin to degrade due to exposure to temperature and contaminents. Condensation can also slowly occur in an engine over time in most vehicles even if driven infrequently. This is why a lot of times there is a recommendation to change the oil at least annually in most vehicles regardless of the miles driven.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
I appreciate the importance of good maintenance practices, but I don't like to over-maintain things. As I reflect on this, I can't remember anybody ever saying, "Oh, if I had only changed my oil more often my car wouldn't have died." Engines are so reliable nowadays, it seems that other issues end the life of most cars. Typically we crash them, outgrow them or just get tired of them, well before we wear-out their engines.

Last edited by Press Fit; 02-01-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jack Hammer
Simply put, oil can sit a long time in a container on a shelf. Once it's run in an engine it can begin to degrade due to exposure to temperature and contaminents. Condensation can also slowly occur in an engine over time in most vehicles even if driven infrequently. This is why a lot of times there is a recommendation to change the oil at least annually in most vehicles regardless of the miles driven.
very good points noted. i agree. especially the moisture is something i think about and drive my hobby cars at least until the oil temp is 180F or higher before putting da car back in storage. rids condensation in the exhaust system too which also prevents rusting from da inside.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jack Hammer

On top of this, I heard it also starts to turn acidic as well.

Quick Reply: Too Frequent Service?