3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Two Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Two Flat Tires

My son called at about 7:00 last night saying he hit a pot hole and had two flat tires on his Fit. It took me over two and a half hours to get to him, after getting tools and two of his snow tires. Fortunately, he limped into a parking lot, right under a light. Unfortunately, it was pouring.

That jack and crank combo you get with the Fit is horrible. Most of those jacks have a regular crank handle. The Fit makes you stick the lug wrench onto the end of the small crank are in a T-shape. Cranking is rather slow.

Both tires had their sidewalls blown out from the impact of hitting that deep hole - filled in by the rain. Fortunately, neither the wheels nor the car seem to be damaged. I bought four new tires for my Fit, so he'll buy two of them from me, and put them on his wheels.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
From the limited amount of information, I assume he is buying 2 old tires from you? A good dad would make sure he will be safe by buying 4 new tires for him.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
From the limited amount of information, I assume he is buying 2 old tires from you? A good dad would make sure he will be safe by buying 4 new tires for him.
"I bought four new tires for my Fit, so he'll buy two of them from me, and put them on his wheels."

He's buying new tires that haven't been put on wheels yet.

A good dad would drive 2 1/2 hours and change his son's tires in the pouring rain.

(We have a lousy selection of smilies here.)

Old 05-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear, op. glad to hear ur son was okay though, some times those pot holes can cause an accident.

yes, those tools are a pos. i keep a breaker bar with a deep socket in each of my cars for a speedy swap.

i also keep a 12v mini air compressor and towels, disposable gloves, cheap bright yellow rain coat.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
sorry to hear, op. glad to hear ur son was okay though, some times those pot holes can cause an accident.

yes, those tools are a pos. i keep a breaker bar with a deep socket in each of my cars for a speedy swap.

i also keep a 12v mini air compressor and towels, disposable gloves, cheap bright yellow rain coat.
Yes, I carry a compressor, patch kit, and first aid kit, along with gloves, etc. In the old days, when I drove English cars, I carried a full tool kit and oil. : )

Old 05-14-2017, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
That must have been a serious hit. Thankfully it was not worse.

I blew out a snow tire on my Fit. It was driving snow, curb was hidden, sidewall was damaged. Rim and car was Ok, but tire sidewall was shredded.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
That must have been a serious hit. Thankfully it was not worse.

I blew out a snow tire on my Fit. It was driving snow, curb was hidden, sidewall was damaged. Rim and car was Ok, but tire sidewall was shredded.
Yes, it was a serious hit, and the sound of the two tires blowing definitely got his attention.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
I blew a tire last year hitting a pothole deep enough to tear the sidewall. I've had a couple pothole hits that were enough to ding the rims.

I've since replaced the factory tires to 205/50/16 for the better selection as well as hoping the extra rubber would provide some additional protection and comfort. It's a more comfortable ride so far.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I blew a tire last year hitting a pothole deep enough to tear the sidewall. I've had a couple pothole hits that were enough to ding the rims.

I've since replaced the factory tires to 205/50/16 for the better selection as well as hoping the extra rubber would provide some additional protection and comfort. It's a more comfortable ride so far.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for the next time I need tires. I'm buying them from discounttiresdirect.com now, cheaper than Tire Rack.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:28 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Yes, I carry a compressor, patch kit, and first aid kit, along with gloves, etc. In the old days, when I drove English cars, I carried a full tool kit and oil. : )
not sure why you're complaining then.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
I bought mine from tirebuyer.com. They had a warehouse in my state and the tires were delivered that evening. Then I just had to schedule install at Firestone. Tires were cheaper than DT or TR, plus free shipping and I was able to search around for a coupon code to bring it down further. It was my first time purchasing through them and I have no complaints.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:30 AM
I carry AAA. Nowadays the only maintenance or repair I can do is screw in a light bulb.

I wish my dad was able to drive 2.5 hours to help me out if needed. Not gonna happen. Anyway, good job helping your son SilverEX15.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
I carry AAA. Nowadays the only maintenance or repair I can do is screw in a light bulb. .
After my own heart.

Whatever happened to the young man who used to gap the spark plugs on his Fiat 128SL?

Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Whatever happened to the young man who used to gap the spark plugs on his Fiat 128SL?[/QUOTE]
What are these 'Spark Plugs' U mentioned?

Old 05-15-2017, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
After my own heart.

Whatever happened to the young man who used to gap the spark plugs on his Fiat 128SL?
With the pull tab from a Blue Ribbon can.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
I bought mine from tirebuyer.com. They had a warehouse in my state and the tires were delivered that evening. Then I just had to schedule install at Firestone. Tires were cheaper than DT or TR, plus free shipping and I was able to search around for a coupon code to bring it down further. It was my first time purchasing through them and I have no complaints.
What do they charge for mounting and balancing? I used to do my own tires, but the Fit wheels were too tough to deal with, so I sold my Harbor Freight tire changer. I haven't paid for tire mounting in years. I'll try the local guy and see what he charges.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
I carry AAA. Nowadays the only maintenance or repair I can do is screw in a light bulb.

I wish my dad was able to drive 2.5 hours to help me out if needed. Not gonna happen. Anyway, good job helping your son SilverEX15.
We still have the towing coverage from Honda, but that wouldn't have done us any good with two blown tires. Do those towing services change tires? I thought they just towed. We'll have to sign up with someone in August, when our warranty ends. In all the years we had AAA, we got towed only twice. It would have been cheaper to pay for the tow directly.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
What do they charge for mounting and balancing? I used to do my own tires, but the Fit wheels were too tough to deal with, so I sold my Harbor Freight tire changer. I haven't paid for tire mounting in years. I'll try the local guy and see what he charges.
I paid $72 at Firestone for mounting/balancing of the 4 tires. Got General Altimax RT43 and that was $350 approximately from Tirebuyer.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:36 AM
We still have the towing coverage from Honda, but that wouldn't have done us any good with two blown tires. Do those towing services change tires? I thought they just towed. We'll have to sign up with someone in August, when our warranty ends. In all the years we had AAA, we got towed only twice. It would have been cheaper to pay for the tow directly.

Here's a link to their list of benefits:

https://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/Member...m_page=AAA.COM

Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
I paid $72 at Firestone for mounting/balancing of the 4 tires. Got General Altimax RT43 and that was $350 approximately from Tirebuyer.
Thanks. I remember when that was a reasonably-priced operation. It's still cheaper than buying from a local tire store, though.

Quick Reply: Two Flat Tires