3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Poltergeists?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Poltergeists?

2016 Honda Fit LX, six speed manual. Last night while visiting family, my purse was in the house and sitting next to it were the car keys (thank goodness). After dinner (at least 30 minutes after I parked) we were standing outdoors not far from the car when we heard it lock itself. This is not the first time it's happened. I use a key, not a fob, to start the car.

Oddly, my Toyota Matrix used to do the same thing. Poltergeists?

Another issue is that if I plug my iPad into the USB port to charge it, neither Apple Maps nor Google Maps voice instructions work. Only when I unplug it from the USB will I hear the directions.

Any ideas why?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
There's a feature where if the unlock button on the fob is pressed and a car door isn't opened in 30 seconds, it locks itself automatically.

My Toyota 4Runner has the same.

I'm thinking the source has to be selected for the IPOD when you connect it to the USB. When you disconnect, it's probably going over bluetooth.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
There's a feature where if the unlock button on the fob is pressed and a car door isn't opened in 30 seconds, it locks itself automatically.

My Toyota 4Runner has the same.

I'm thinking the source has to be selected for the IPOD when you connect it to the USB. When you disconnect, it's probably going over bluetooth.
I neither locked nor unlocked it last night when I arrived and parked. Just got out of the car and closed the door. Never touched the electronics on the key fob.

If I do lock it (which I did not last night), most times I'll use the button on the car door as I'm getting out.

I don't understand why it would lock itself after it's been parked for over 30 minutes.

Will try your suggestion next time I plug my iPad in the USB port and see if that works. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
USB does 2 functions: provide power, and transfer info.

If you are not transferring info and only want power, then plug a USB converter into your 12v power supply, and plug your charge cable into this USB outlet. USB converters are really cheap, like <$10US. You will not only get more amperage from the USB plug, and thus a shorter charge time and/or more charge for set the time. This will eliminate the your Fit's confusion. Your Fit should not get confused, but it seems to not disable info transfer capability on its own. It is very sad that our Fits have not been programmed to be smart enough. You should at least try this and see if the problem continues.

I can't help you on the poltergeist part. It has not happened for me. Wrap your fob in aluminium foil to eliminate any connection to your car. Call your local priest.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Is it possible the unlock button could have been accidentally pressed? Give it a try if you want, it will lock automatically if unlock is pressed and doors aren't opened?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Is it possible the unlock button could have been accidentally pressed? Give it a try if you want, it will lock automatically if unlock is pressed and doors aren't opened?

Doors were unlocked when I left the car. Keys were on a counter in the kitchen. No one was in the house as we were all outdoors standing maybe 25 feet from the car when we heard it lock itself.

If it starts locking itself when the keys are inside the car, then I'll call a priest!

Old 05-21-2017, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
...If you are not transferring info and only want power, then plug a USB converter into your 12v power supply, and plug your charge cable into this USB outlet. USB converters are really cheap, like <$10US. You will not only get more amperage from the USB plug, and thus a shorter charge time and/or more charge for set the time.
Yes that... and you can get a
low profile dual port (4.8a total) adapter on amazon low profile dual port (4.8a total) adapter on amazon
. I bought the 2 pack for $18.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:37 PM
I found one of these in the electrical system before....

Old 05-22-2017, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sono
i found one of these in the electrical system before....
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!