3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 vs 2017

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
2016 vs 2017

Anyone know the difference(s) between a 2016 and a 2017 GK... if there are any differences.

One auto site reports there are a few subtle differences/changes for 2017 model, yet they do not list what the differences are.

Thinking of purchasing another Fit. Going with EX-L - possibly w/navi - if I decide to purchase another. Some of you may remember my last Fit was a GE... maybe not. Got rid of my GE because of, in my opinion, cheap build quality in some areas. It's been a while now, and the GK's seem to be a bit more solid with less cheap interior feel.

So... 2016 vs. 2017 changes?

Thanks for any/all replies.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
No changes from what I understand.

There is still some cheapness in the GK. I've never owned the other generations though. Door armrests are rock hard. Door panel is really flexible. The Center armrest is too low. Dash panel may not align, mainly the driver's side - still a common complaint. Carpetting is super thin so get better floor mats.

I test drove an EX-L Navi and personally found the leather to be cheap feeling compared to other cars with leather interior. That may be subjective though, but for me it wasn't worth the extra money and I bought the EX instead. Also thought the nav interface looked like crap, and to this day just use Waze or Google maps. Maps stay up to date and can get real time traffic.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Not a damn thing different with the car model years you ask of. The Leather interior while nice, Im no fan of. I got an EX 2017, and if only they had an EX-L in a 6 MT I would have thrown down.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Anyone know the difference(s) between a 2016 and a 2017 GK... if there are any differences. .........One auto site reports there are a few subtle differences/changes for 2017 model, yet they do not list what the differences are.
As others have said, there are no differences. The online sites (which have sprung up like weeds) are full of lies. Keep in mind though that some of them are talking about Fits being sold in other countries where changes being made might be slightly different from what happens North America.

The 2018 North America Fit out later this year will have some minor largely cosmetic changes. Nothing officially announced yet.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
the base price has increased twice +100 new model year introduction, +100 Jan 2017.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
You might reconsider the navi option. There is a yearly charge for map updates, though I don't remember the charge, around ~$200? You'll need to research this. External Garmins have free lifetime maps.

As for cheapness, I've been in a GE and there is not a significant difference with the 2016-2017. You should consider a mazda3 or a VW Golf if you wish better build quality.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
From my experience in owning and viewing used cars, leather never holds up as well as cloth given equal attention to care. I had 211K on my Odyssey (with cloth seats) at sale and it looked brand new, no wrinkles, no stains, no dryed out spots with wrinkles, etc.

And if you wear nylon pants, expect to slide around a great deal on the leather, and yes I test drove an EXL to check this. If you wear cotton jeans, no problem with sliding.

As for the Nav, way over priced for what you get and as others mentioned, the map updates are also pricey. Just get the CD phone mount for $15 and use your smart phone or garmin/gps for rural areas with no cell coverage and save $$$.

The only thing I thought on the EX-L+ worth having is the blinker lights on the mirrors and there is a write-up in this forum on how to retro-fit those.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=tbFit;1372414]From my experience in owning and viewing used cars, leather never holds up as well as cloth given equal attention to care. I had 211K on my Odyssey (with cloth seats) at sale and it looked brand new, no wrinkles, no stains, no dryed out spots with wrinkles, etc.

It hold farts a lot longer too

Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks all, for the replies!

Thanks for the replies... appreciated!

My GE was wayyyyyy too utilitarian for my tastes. Even so, I miss quite a few things about it... the great gas mileage goes without even having to mention, to those of you who appreciate that.

I need another run-around ride that will be fun to mod... and not have to worry about screwing the ride up doing so.

I checked out a GK. When considering areas the GE fell short on, in my opinion the GK is a huge step forward. Then again, one never truly knows a ride until they've experienced it daily for awhile, unfortunately.

My GE was loaded... if one would like to call it that! The LCD/Navi was the ugliest, most dated-looking/feeling LCD I think I've ever had the displeasure of using. I mean, I was embarrassed when people got in my GE and saw how aesthetically garish and hideous-looking it was. And for what I payed for the LCD/navi option Honda should have been ashamed of themselves for shoving that on customers. My fault for opting for it, but still...

Plastic(ky) panels and molding is one thing, but the GE's offerings were not only that, and cheap-feeling, but were about as thin as one could imagine. My driver's door armrest cracked and caved-in twice. The second time I had to pay for it.

The GE had a surprisingly nice sounding little engine, but the term "underpowered" took on an entirely new meaning when driving it.

The sheet metal and even side body panels were so thin I could run my finger along the top and actually watch the metal roll ahead of my finger when applying even minimum pressure in certain areas. Paint quality sucked too!

Other complaints, for sure, but my experience with my GK test seems to alleviated some of my fears from my GE experience.

Don't like the idea of no volume control on the GK's audio system, with or without the navi option... but at least there are steering wheel mounted controls for volume.

What's with Honda's lackluster audio system interfaces? Could they make them [at least] a little more pleasing/exciting to the eyes, and a LOT LESS BORING? Ah well... the GK's interface beats the crap out of the GE's... that's for sure. Still, one would think Honda could be a little more creative and offer more options... such as user-chosen color scheme(s)... Honda? Hello? Most new audio systems offer user-selected, multi-color controls.

As far as leather... I will not purchase a car without leather seats. Had it in my old Avalanche LTZ, had it in my GMC Envoy XL, and now in my GMC Yukon Denali. Absolutely LOVE leather seats, etc. Again... will NOT purchase any ride without leather. If you truly take care of leather, and have heated seats (another absolute must this day and time) then leather is your best friend.

So, I miss the gas mileage, I miss the go kart-like driving experience, I miss the sound of that little vtech engine, and I miss having a ride I don't think twice about modding, however I wish to.

The GE was fun -- all dislikes aside -- and I'm hoping maybe the GK will be as fun... possibly a bit better. Haven't made up my mind, but a dealer is letting me take one for a few days, and I will diagnose the GK more fully then.

Having said the above, Honda needs to tighten up on the Fit... considering what they charge for an EX-L! All of these quality control issues I'm reading about scare me a bit... I will readily admit that.

Still... there is a certain charm about even a Honda Fit. :vote:

Thanks again for the replies, folks!

Old 05-26-2017, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
There's even a more "certain charm" in the LX ....you can get a manual trans instead of the stupid CVT...volume knob for the radio, knobs and all for climate control... no touch screen BS ... no heated/leather seats, though (first world problem). I love my '15 LX - threw on a Tanabe axleback and a Progress rear anti-sway bar, and it's more fun than it has a right to be...

Old 05-26-2017, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
There's even a more "certain charm" in the LX ....you can get a manual trans instead of the stupid CVT.....
If the OP wants leather, its going to be the stupid CVT. I happen to have that CVT and its pretty decent and smooth, although I often wonder if I should have gotten the 6sp manual, especially after picking up my 2009 GE with 5 speed manual and having fun rowing my own. Damn it!

Last edited by tbFit; 05-26-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: quoted for context ;)
Old 05-26-2017, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
There's even a more "certain charm" in the LX ....you can get a manual trans instead of the stupid CVT...volume knob for the radio, knobs and all for climate control... no touch screen BS ... no heated/leather seats, though (first world problem). I love my '15 LX - threw on a Tanabe axleback and a Progress rear anti-sway bar, and it's more fun than it has a right to be...
I agree with the LX, a basic no thrill economy car, but with the $800 CVT it's so much more relaxing. For the grid like action, I have a manual for that.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Love the LX. had to search multiple dealerships just to locate one with a 6 speed.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Westie
Love the LX. had to search multiple dealerships just to locate one with a 6 speed.
My find last June was dumb luck .... salesperson showing me all these different Fits, all with CVTs, claiming they don't have any manuals.....test drove the CVT - liked the car, hated the trans .....lo and behold, as we were walking around, he peeked into a black '15 CPO and it had a stick.....test drove it, loved it. Talked it over with my better half that evening, she said "get what makes you happy" (but....but...I can't afford a Porsche ) ...went back the next day, took another drive, and the deal was done. Got me a Progress (iirc) rear anti-sway bar, a Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust, and I'm a happy Fit driver. All I want is a bit fatter rubber, but, previous owner must've just replaced the factory tires before trading it in, as these tires still have a lot of tread, but...I can waut

Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 PM
will 2018 year model be a short 3 years refresh?

Old 06-17-2017, 12:57 PM
exl is just another extra $1000, $18 a month anyway. but that leather seat makes your car instantly more premium look. and front seat is heated. and leather steer and shift knob is also welcomed. and turn signal on side mirror. Those well worth $1000. The navi is not needed since phone map is much easier and better to use. However if you want certain color with exl trim, it is hard to find without navi. They usually comes with navi, like blue, yellow and red. I was looking for a blue exl without navi around my area. But could not find one. They only have exl with navi. So I want to get the blue color I have to pay the navi. Well. If you are ok with more common color like black, silver, it is not an issue.

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
The heated seats would be nice in cold climates, but I slide around in the leather seats compared to the cloth ones. But the mirror signal lights would be a nice upgrade for adjacent drivers to recognize lane changes more readily.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by liukaitc
will 2018 year model be a short 3 years refresh?
Yes, there's another thread on here about it.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I agree with the LX, a basic no thrill economy car, but with the $800 CVT it's so much more relaxing. For the grid like action, I have a manual for that.
Must be nice, but not all of us can afford or want to own multiple cars.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
In case Honda hears you about the side markers, I hope it is an option not a standard on future cars. I don't need or want it so I don't want a price increase as the result of the marker.

Quick Reply: 2016 vs 2017