3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sound Proofing Doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Sound Proofing Doors

Would like to reduce road noise in cabin 2016 LX and was thinking to add sound proofing material to the inside of the doors. Any suggestions to how to remove inside of door video or how to instructions? What clips do I need as I assume I will break some of them in the process.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
It's not difficult to remove the door panel.

I took a couple pix while installing speakers and gave my step-by-step instructions, see this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-brackets.html

Last edited by bargainguy; 05-28-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
I think you will find that sound proofing will not significantly reduce noise. Most of it is transmitted through the body.

But hey, good luck.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
It's not difficult to remove the door panel.

I took a couple pix while installing speakers and gave my step-by-step instructions, see this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-brackets.html
BG..... Thank you for posting the photos. It gives me thought of what I can expect to work around to access the inner door panel. I just have to make sure I have some extra fasteners in case I break one. thanks DD

Old 05-29-2017, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I think you will find that sound proofing will not significantly reduce noise. Most of it is transmitted through the body.

But hey, good luck.
CB.... thanks for the input... what I am trying to reduce is the noise from what I believe is "road noise" from the tires. Seems that there is a lot of noise, or it could be wind noise... not sure..... I'm fine with the CVT winding down during deceleration.
You made a good point that the noise is resonating from the body, which leads me to the thought that the OEM tires are a contributing factor. Although I can't complain as I am averaging 44+mpg Maybe I should consider looking to dampen the noise via under the carpets. Just a thought... Thanks though for pointing out the body noise. DD

Old 05-29-2017, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
ddfit, does your LX have the Firestone FR721 tires stock?

I have a Japanese LX, and I would have much preferred stock Bridgestones, but you take what on's the vehicle at delivery. IMO, the Firestones are quite noisy. Really looking forward to replacing mine, the sooner the better, just trying to get a reasonable amount of wear out of them first.

My last vehicle was a GD3 ('08 Sport) and the noise coming from the tires, A-pillars and doors was much worse than my GK5. Supposedly the GE8s and GK5s have a little more sound insulation in the A-pillars to knock the noise down a smidge.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
ddfit, does your LX have the Firestone FR721 tires stock?
BG
I have a Japanese LX, and I would have much preferred stock Bridgestones, but you take what on's the vehicle at delivery. IMO, the Firestones are quite noisy. Really looking forward to replacing mine, the sooner the better, just trying to get a reasonable amount of wear out of them first.

My last vehicle was a GD3 ('08 Sport) and the noise coming from the tires, A-pillars and doors was much worse than my GK5. Supposedly the GE8s and GK5s have a little more sound insulation in the A-pillars to knock the noise down a smidge.
I also have the Japanese LX and the tires are the Firestone FR 740 stock tires. There is a noticeable squeal when cornering, but the noise I am hearing is I believe wind noise. I checked the rubber seals between the door and A pillar and they don't seem to be a good seal. I am going run a test and add some additional temporary seal to the A pillar and bottom of door area and see if that makes a difference. Then again, I could be completely wrong. I'll report back in any case. Thanks DD

Old 06-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2

But hey, good luck.
f

CB. Very good point. I was also reading a post here about the doors not being aligned with the body, which gave me some thoughts to inspect the rubber seal at the bottom of the door. I have to say that I am not impressed with the flimsy black neoprene seal and the poor mounting of it. I also tapped on the sheet metal under the door area and it sounded hollow. There are some black plugs every few inches and I was think that this area a a huge source of wind,road noise. I was thinking of putting some spray foam insulation into this area and it may dampen the road noise. Any thoughts.....

Old 06-02-2017, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Unless the seam at the roofline is sealed well, you could do more harm than good with that plan. Any moisture would be held in place and the rocker panels would rust out quickly.

I hate to shoot-down your proposals....

I think that a DynaMat type deadener would be the best you could do.

(One of the reasons that the GD Fit is such a lively drivers car is the relatively solid mountings for the suspension and engine. The drawback is that a LOT of noise is transmitted.)