Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   What The FIT? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/96034-what-fit.html)

Colonel Panik 06-11-2017 05:57 PM

What The FIT?

Here is the back ground for this post: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...r-problem.html

My dear wife and daughter (owner of the FIT from that post above) were returning from
IL to NM in our 2015 FIT (mentioned in that link above) when the headlights, which were set to AUTO started to go on and off. Then the Tire Pressure warning went off.

They hit Irish Auto and had them check for codes. Nada. Gas station to check the tires. All was well.

Dealer, where my wife was treated like a stupid child, given a ration of BS and sent on her way. PM me for dealership name, eh? Dealer said 4 to 5 days before they could look at the FIT.

From the dealer to my daughters house is 35/40 miles and no problems showed up.
From there to our home is 219 miles, and again no problems.

Now I have a FIT that I am afraid to take out of town and the nearest dealer is 60+ miles away (it is another one I would never go back to. Re: that post above, this is how it all started with my daughters car. My daughter had the extended warranty and
we have the top level extended warranty.

What should I do? Two identical vehicles with the same mileage having the same issue? I may need the phone number of a Lemon Law Lawyer.

kenchan 06-12-2017 07:48 PM

time for upgrade!

fitchet 06-16-2017 02:55 PM

I read and even commented within your original sited post.
I don't get why you are saying "Two Identical Vehicles with the same mileage having the same issue "?
The problems your daughters Fit faced sound pretty different to me. If I am reading your original post, from the other thread correctly it was a "electrical mishap" followed by discovery of a bad CVT transmission.

What you have here, is an illuminated TPMS light, and some problem with your auto headlights.

That sounds quite a bit different than the problems your daughters Fit was experiencing.

In general? I've chosen to buy two Honda Fits...originally a 2010 and now a 2016. I've been happy with both. I think they are good vehicles.

You bought one, then your daughter bought one...and now you've separately had "problems".
That's too bad.
And once somebody has lost confidence or faith in a vehicle? Getting it back is difficult.
When you believe the dealership is not being supportive that doesn't help either.

I could urge you to simply keep seeking resolution. But it sounds to me like you are so soured on Fit ownership that you never will be happy.

So?
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sono 06-16-2017 03:40 PM

a bad battery cell will cause chaos !!! It will still hold a charge and work but it will cause all sorts of crap to go bonkers, Have the battery tested.

KentFinn 06-16-2017 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sono (Post 1373976)
a bad battery cell will cause chaos !!! It will still hold a charge and work but it will cause all sorts of crap to go bonkers, Have the battery tested.

Nothing personal against the good captain, but me thinks he hath chosen the proper screen name ... Captain Panik. He may even be related to my ex, who will probably be the first person to die of Buyer's Remorse. She'll buy something and then worry about the choice for at least a year.

Sono 06-16-2017 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by KentFinn (Post 1373979)
Nothing personal against the good captain, but me thinks he hath chosen the proper screen name ... Captain Panik. He may even be related to my ex, who will probably be the first person to die of Buyer's Remorse. She'll buy something and then worry about the choice for at least a year.

.................................................. .................................................. ...........

Uncle Gary 06-16-2017 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by KentFinn (Post 1373979)

What the heck! Did you just demote the Colonel?

KentFinn 06-16-2017 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1373999)

My bad. Maybe he should be promoted to General Panik. '

The weak battery suggestion earlier makes some sense. But two different cars? It is at least odd.

dwtaylorpdx 06-17-2017 02:16 PM

+1 on the crappy choice of battery from honda... Not a bit surprised if they are similar +- a year or so in age.

KentFinn 06-17-2017 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx (Post 1374073)
+1 on the crappy choice of battery from honda... Not a bit surprised if they are similar +- a year or so in age.

While a bit small physically, the stock OEM battery seem to do the job. Gotta save that weight, donthano? Similar size batters can be had from Duracel.

I've run mine down twice (operator error). Roadside service boosted it later and after about a 30 minute sort road trip, battery back to life. Both incidents were about 18 months ago, no problems since.

fitchet 06-19-2017 02:56 PM

As far as the TPMS light goes?
I'll say this as personal individual experience.
But every long highway road trip I've taken with my Fit the TPMS light has illuminated.

I check.- "Safety First". You do NOT want to assume it's nothing.

But so far the PSI every time is fine.

I thought I might mention this next time I take my Fit in for regular service, because when I reset, and re-calibrate, I can go indefinently with mixed Highway and City, without the TPMS illuminating. Seems like it's ONLY on long road trips of primarily highway only driving.

Auto Headlights?
I don't know, other than they are sensor based. Is it possible the sensor was covered and/or you were in dusk or mixed lighting conditions?

I'm kind of wondering if there is a problem here at all.

It's certainly in any case sounds like a significantly different situation than with what happened with the Daughters Honda Fit.
But like I said, once you are unhappy and untrusting of a vehicle. It's nearly impossible to regain that trust.
Sounds to me like it's time for The Colonel to get different bucket of chicken.

Colonel Panik 06-21-2017 01:38 PM

Op

Okay, Thanks for all the replies, that is why forums are so great.

I am 72 years old, my first two cars had provisions for crank start, manual crank.
I have a 03 Civic with 292,000 miles and it has been in the dealers shop once.
I am not without experience when it comes to cars.

Two 2015 FITS both EX. Bought within a month of each other at the same dealer.
Both with approx. 60,000 miles 80% highway. Same climate.

Our daughters FIT had some unexplained dash lights which seem to clear up. Some
time later there where more problems, car would not start. Car started and would not
move, was towed to the dealer and the dealer did $7000 worth of work, new CVT was
part of that. Extended warranty saved the day.
The dealer said a lot of things that were pretty sketchy. I cannot abide a business
that has to lie to make money.

Our FIT was on the way home from a rather long road trip and started putting up various lights,
Tire pressure and the Auto headlight were first, those headlights were
going on and off. Car seem to be in the "limp" mode. The OBD was read and there
were no codes. Tires checked and were perfect. The problems went away and the
trip was completed. My wife was smart enough to stop at a Honda dealer and the
Service writer said the problems were because both keys were in the car at the same
time. :confused::( Yeah, that's what he said. That is so far from possible that my wife
just left. We pay attention, we remember what happens and such.
Honda just lost a very loyal customer. Further, my daughter and her family are not going to buy another
Honda, 5 customers lost and 3 of them are 20 or under, that could have
been a lot of sales, eh?

I will continue to post as things develop. Again, thanks for the input, if it wasn't
for auto forums I would be walking.

2Rismo2 06-21-2017 02:08 PM

Are the two vehicle VINs close together? What's their manufacturer dates? Both info can be found on door jamb sticker. Curious if they had been assembled close together and had a bad batch of components?

I'm with you on possibly never buying another Honda. I've had a lot of QC problems w/ mine, but so far mechanically it's been problem free. 43k miles and counting on my 2015 assembled 12/2014

wasserball 06-21-2017 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary (Post 1373999)

I just started reading thread. However, both titles start with a "C". Inadvertent mistake. :):)

fitchet 06-21-2017 03:33 PM

Huh...
Kind of sounds like combined you had $7000 worth of work done, a new CVT transmission installed, and with the latest event...had no provable long term problem at all.
Sounds Horrible.

I don't get too worked up about what a service writer says.
If you were reporting a problem, that was no longer manifesting, and no codes were coming up?
Yeah, sometimes they grasp at straws just to give an answer.

But at least at one of my local dealerships, the Service Writer appears to be just out of High School, and is basically just a intermediary greeter, paper work handler.

I don't like the way nearly all automotive dealerships service departments now like to separate you and insulate you from any direct hands on communication. It's pretty rare you ever really seen the work done, or talk to the actual technician.

I've had better and worse, but I pretty much see "Service Writers" as greeters and middle men/women.
Some know their stuff, and seem to have better relationships with the actual tech's. Others? Know how to punch up your paperwork, and process your bill.

They are not who I trust for the best answer.

KentFinn 06-21-2017 04:50 PM

Col., I'm 4 years your senior. I never had to crank start any of my first cars (Plymouth, Chevy). I've owned new Chevys, Pontiacs and a used Buick, and a used Suzuki. In between I owned 4 Hondas including the 2015 Fit EX. The closest to lemons were a Corvair (ate clutch cables) and a Chevy Laguna Estate Wagon (ate transmissions).

The worst Honda I practically had to beat to death with neglect was a Civic Station Wagon. The 3 Honda dealers were good to excellent.

BTW, my Fit was built Jan. 2014. Build quality is ok (not stellar, it ain't a Rolls) Only one recall, so minor I forget the cause. A clutch switch since my short left leg would not let the car start. I know, at 74, choosing a manual shift car and an artificial right foot, why a six speed? Cause I like 'em, that's why.

Sono 06-21-2017 05:25 PM

There are 2 dealers close to me, I called the closest since I'm at my wifes house to see how long the recalls will take tomorrow at 10am for the airbag and switch, they told me 2 to 2-1/2 hours and they were checking to make sure all the parts were in stock and ready for me. I will actually get there early after I get my son off on the bus at 7am ( dealer is about an hour drive from here ) so 8am and Ill walk over to have breakfast somewhere while I wait. So far they seem to be on their best.

exl500 06-21-2017 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by KentFinn (Post 1374433)
Col., I'm 4 years your senior. I never had to crank start any of my first cars (Plymouth, Chevy). I've owned new Chevys, Pontiacs and a used Buick, and a used Suzuki. In between I owned 4 Hondas including the 2015 Fit EX. The closest to lemons were a Corvair (ate clutch cables) and a Chevy Laguna Estate Wagon (ate transmissions).

The worst Honda I practically had to beat to death with neglect was a Civic Station Wagon. The 3 Honda dealers were good to excellent.

BTW, my Fit was built Jan. 2014. Build quality is ok (not stellar, it ain't a Rolls) Only one recall, so minor I forget the cause. A clutch switch since my short left leg would not let the car start. I know, at 74, choosing a manual shift car and an artificial right foot, why a six speed? Cause I like 'em, that's why.

Did you mean 2015? Mine was built April 2014, and no manuals were available until August or September. Otherwise I would have bought one.

KentFinn 06-21-2017 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by exl500 (Post 1374447)
Did you mean 2015? Mine was built April 2014, and no manuals were available until August or September. Otherwise I would have bought one.

Opps, typo, should have been Dec. 2014. I bought it May 2, 2015 at Crest Honda in Nashville.

Colonel Panik 06-22-2017 11:11 AM

Maybe

When I posted that I would not buy another Honda I should have said "another new Honda" I am actively searching for a 7th gen Civic, 2001 - 2005.

Great idea, I will get those VINs and decode them. It will be interesting.

KentFinn Get off the road, you are too old! lol
My first car was a 1957 VW and it used part of the jack stuff to do a manual crank, It had a starter the crank was just a German redundancy.
I used it all the time, thought it looked "cool". Second car was a VW Transporter 1960,
same deal.

@fitchet, The FIT went into the LIMP mode, went from 40+mpg to -20mpg. Did not start well at all. This is an Arnold Schwarzenegger problem, "I'll be back!"

Bad/weak battery?, I just checked and after standing all night it was 12.7 volts, its good. Those sensors are sensitive, small voltage drop could mess them up.

I have found some good Honda dealers, they can't all be bad. Just not in my present area.

Do any of you have a source for the CVT fluid? Not Honda but equal?