3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

FIT problem/ Dealer problem

Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
FIT problem/ Dealer problem

We bought a 2015 FIT it was okay and our daughter /son-in-law bought one about
a month later. Their FIT with less than 50,000 miles had an electrical mishap.
Car was driven about 40 miles and parked. The car was then started and driven but
stopped dead. DEAD. Would not move. Towed to dealer.

Dealer pulled the plug on the CVT oil pan and got a bucket full of metal! The fluid
was clean, not burnt. That seems not right to me. After getting the project blessed
at several different levels in the Honda Hierarchy, waiting for parts, etc. the car was
given a new transmission, dealer called, picked up and driven 20 miles. It would not
shut off, the engine would stop running but the elec system was still on. The FIT was returned to the Dealer.

Some of the "reasons" given by the dealer are so farfetched that I can only laugh.

We are about to be at four weeks! The repairs always have to be "blessed" and parts have to be ordered.
They keep hitting us for the $100 deductible each time the car is brought back. So, WTF Honda.

Son-in-law is researching New Mexico Lemon Laws.

Backstory: We bought our FIT because we have a 2003 Civic with 290,000 miles. It still has the original rear brakes,
suspension, clutch etc, factory gas in the AC. Gets over 40mpg on the highway. AND, it has only had one repair! ONE!
That was the keys/locks. Today that Civic drives and rides better than our FIT. We are okay withthe FIT but it just isn't
going to make 290,000 miles.

Thanks for letting me rant and any suggestions would be great!

PM me for name of Dealer.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Hi there!

I've had my 2015 fit since the month they came out and the only problem I've had is air pressure in the tires.

Your situation sounds terrible I'm sorry you're going through that.

I don't know what you mean by "blessed" so I'm not sure how to help you there.

Are you guys the original owners of the car that has 50k miles on it? If not it sounds like they got a car back from someone who had beaten on it pretty badly and they didn't do a great inspection of the car.

I hope you guys get this figured out, the Fits are such great little cars. Good luck!!

-Travis

Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Original owners! The FIT has not been abused (over driven).

Old 05-18-2017, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Colonel Panik
...Backstory: We bought our FIT because we have a 2003 Civic with 290,000 miles. It still has the original rear brakes,
suspension, clutch etc, factory gas in the AC. Gets over 40mpg on the highway. AND, it has only had one repair! ONE! That was the keys/locks. Today that Civic drives and rides better than our FIT. We are okay withthe FIT but it just isn't going to make 290,000 miles...
I cannot comment on your daughter's Fit, only that I hope it will all get sorted out. I do really like my 2016 Fit's handling, but it is a 6MT.

I really think it is unrealistic of you to think that just because you bought a Honda that has gone 290k miles, that your next Honda will do the same. We are in a different time, with possibly different quality ratings. Honda quality has dropped since 2003, and they just made 10th in the Consumers Report 2017 Reliability Survey top 10.

In 2016 Honda dropped 4 places from 4th in 2015 to 8th in 2016. In 2017 Honda dropped another 2 places. Either the competition is getting better, Honda is getting worse, or Consumers Report is not credible, you choose,

Feel the quality of the sheet metal on your 2003 Civic and then feel your 2015 Fit. The 2015 Fit is thinner. I don't think it is just Honda, but almost all cars. Fuel economy is critical, even more so than long-term reliability. Cars, as most consumer products, are now disposable. We can only wait and see if the 2015 Fit will achieve the mileage of past Honda vehicles. I believe not.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
Honda would be shooting themselves in the foot if they are not focusing on the reliability aspect since studies have shown that people are keeping their cars longer.

My other car is 13 years old I bought new and it's still running strong at 144k. The fit I've owned new since 3/15 and has 43k since it's my commuter car. I'm hoping it makes it to at least 200k and 10 years before replacement.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:54 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow, 290K miles!

Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Do you mean?

Originally Posted by Colonel Panik
They keep hitting us for the $100 deductible each time the car is brought back.
Do you mean they keep hitting you for a diagnostic fee?
Because I don't see how this is a "deductible" situation.

I'm NOT an expert on Lemon Laws, but from what I have read, at various auto sites, it seems most of them do allow for the manufacturer to have a chance to make it right.
Usually a 3 strikes type of situation.

Seems like Honda HAS replaced the entire transmission.
Not clear on exactly what they are doing to try to fix this electrical problem, but it sounds like they are moving to fix that situation.

What I would recommend is keeping clear documentation of everything that has happened and everything that is being done.
And find out exactly how those Lemon Laws work in your state.

Frustration and disappointment can happen. But it is STILL possible, this issue is fixed and the vehicle operates fine.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
We bought the Civic based on Honda's reputation for quality.
We bought the FIT based on our experience with the Civic and Honda's reputation for quality.
We will NOT buy another Honda unless something changes.

Consumers Report is not my go to place for autos. They are great for other things but not cars?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Most cars will reliably reach 200000 miles, these days, if maintained. Sure, the sheetmetal is thinner than an '03 anything, but guess what....the car is safer in an impact than the older car with thicker sheetmetal you're comparing it to. I've never had an unreliable foreign car (of course these are limited to being Honda, Toyota, and Kia). We've had a Ford that was a POS, have had an Oldsmobile that was a POS, and had a Buick that was a POS.....We bought our '15 LX CPO last year, am thinking the original owner might've gotten all the bugs worked out under warranty and unloaded it. Exhibits none of the problems others have complained of here, other than a few minor paint blemishes that aren't bothering me atm. Time will tell, but I have no qualms....but of course, with an LX manual, there's less to go wrong

Old 05-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Do you mean they keep hitting you for a diagnostic fee?
Because I don't see how this is a "deductible" situation.

I'm NOT an expert on Lemon Laws, but from what I have read, at various auto sites, it seems most of them do allow for the manufacturer to have a chance to make it right.
Usually a 3 strikes type of situation.

Seems like Honda HAS replaced the entire transmission.
Not clear on exactly what they are doing to try to fix this electrical problem, but it sounds like they are moving to fix that situation.

What I would recommend is keeping clear documentation of everything that has happened and everything that is being done.
And find out exactly how those Lemon Laws work in your state.

Frustration and disappointment can happen. But it is STILL possible, this issue is fixed and the vehicle operates fine.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
typically a $100 deductible would be for an extended warranty once the vehicle is out of the standard warranty. If they write a new ticket and treat it as a separate claim there is typically another deductible charged. Essentially an extended warranty is just an insurance policy that covers certain items if they break vs a standard manufacturers warranty against defects.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jack Hammer
typically a $100 deductible would be for an extended warranty once the vehicle is out of the standard warranty. If they write a new ticket and treat it as a separate claim there is typically another deductible charged. Essentially an extended warranty is just an insurance policy that covers certain items if they break vs a standard manufacturers warranty against defects.
Yeah, but it's a 2015 with less than 50,000 miles.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:04 PM
sorry for what happened on you. i love the 2015 fit but it does domes with many problems.....
if you havne't lost your faith on fith then try the JDM ones or the MIJ ones. they swapped it back toJapan 2016. it's a signal...

Old 05-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Yeah, but it's a 2015 with less than 50,000 miles.
Fits came with a 36 month 36,000 mile warranty ( whichever came first ) unless you have an extended warranty its long gone.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Update

My daughter did have the extended warranty.

Honda dealer called Thursday and said it was ready. It will be picked up next
week.

I will post after we find out if it was fixed or not.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Update

Got the FIT from the dealer yesterday 5-30 It went to the dealer on 5-1. A month to
fix one car? Shame on this Honda dealer.

Here is what they told my son-in-law: "Last they told me it was bad sensors. Something about a cable sensor and the speed sensor in the rear wheels and the transmission sensor that caused that first problem (CVT ate itself) plus the rear
wheel bearings were bad."

Rear wheel bearings bad at 50000 miles?

On a scale of one to ten I give the dealer a C- maybe a bit more. You can grade
them as you like.

Honda, ain't what it used to be and I sure hope they can recover. I have really been
a fan.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Colonel Panik; 05-31-2017 at 06:59 PM.