General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit 30k Service at 50k miles. Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 05:25 PM
Fit 30k Service at 50k miles. Cost? Procedures?

My friend/roommate was just caught off guard at the dealer taking in his Fit for a check engine light. He expected it was related to changing to time for changing the oil. This is his first car and has always regulatory changed the oil at the original dealer on time and frequent. The car also hasn't been driven daily much for the last 3 years except for a quick errand or trip.

I'm short on information, but I just got a call from him saying that the dealer discovered he had not done the 30k service, and that the dealer supposedly never checked anything during all his visits. They then asked him if he has had any problems, like brakes, which he did say they felt a bit odd recently, but that's about it.

His car has 50k miles on it, and has worked great, but yes, should have some maintenance done at this point.

They have a 15% off promotion right now, plus another discount out of kindness that they didn't suggest servicing it back when it was due. After the two discounts, they are charging him $700

That price is really worrying me. Unless there's a major problem in need of a replacement, which didn't sound like it on the brief call, how could checking fluids, replace fluids, and other minor things add up to that after generous discounts? I recall him maybe saying they are changing everything. My roommate is out of work with medical issues and I hate to think what little money he has is being taken for needless procedures.

I'll continue to search the forum here for what's required of a 30k, but anyone know what procedures to avoid that dealers like to include that are not needed?

It's probably too late at this point, as work is being done right now out of town where the dealer is. So he was kind of backed into a corner and worried about not getting it done immediately.

Last edited by Brian123; 05-22-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
I just had the 30K service done on my 2010 Fit at 32K.
I had recently purchased new tires, so did not need tire rotation- and already replaced the cabin filter last summer. They deducted those services (pretty minimal cost) and my bill came to about $340 which included checking brakes, alignment, oil change & the biggie- transmission fluid change. they told me my battery tested weak and I should replace-- but I have not had any problems starting the car- so said I would do that if I began having problems. $700 seems really high- what services are they doing?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
What did the CEL read? Maybe it's completely unrelated to the "30k mile service"

Old 05-22-2014, 06:06 PM
My friend is already stressed as is, so I haven't been pestering him for all those details, and he's over an hour away. I recall numerous items mentioned and it would be done in 2 hours. When I get the details I'll post them here. Then later when my friend is feeling better, I'll share what I learn so he can make a more informed decision in the future.

Though, I wish he had declined their offer or called me just before accepting it. I don't think the car would of had any issues waiting until the weekend when he's back home and can get quotes and do some research. He does have 100 miles ahead of him before he's back in town, so whatever the dealer was saying could of made him feel unsafe to drive it that far.

Also, while a common practice is to do a procedure too early for a 30k service, he is at 50k. Hopefully everything will be justified and just a little ahead of schedule.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 PM
A fool and his money are soon parted...

Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM
There is no specified 30 k mile check for the Fit. Following the maintenance minder will take care of all needed maintenance. The 30 k mile check is a carry over from the days when all maintenance was done on time/mileage intervals.

Clifton

Old 05-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
The car is basically maintenance free until 100k miles besides normal fluid changes and brake pad/rotor replacement (as needed).

Old 05-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Sorry, haven't got more details since he's still out of town and his phone was low battery earlier.

Bill came to 745 and they were making him feel that was a good price by going out of their way with discounts.

Also, they do all this and charge him, they then tell him one of his tires is zero tread, while the other tires are an 8, 5 and a 3 for tread. So now they got him fearing to drive home tomorrow because it can blow any time. They suggest going to costco for a full set of tires, then of course an alignment.

But wow, take all his money for some average maintenance and then tell him the life threatening tire issue when he has no money left. How did they not see this uneven wear on his last visit.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, money down the drain. Seems like your friend isn't too mechanically inclined. He will continue to be taken advantage of until he sits down and learns about some basic maintenance through this site, YouTube, etc.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
With our Fit, I am happy to use the dealer for regular maintenance since they usually have service parts for the Fit on hand.

When you go to a dealer for service, you must—must—write down the service that is required for that particular mileage. Use the owners manual. If you go and say, "I want the 30k service," Honda doesn't have much, but the dealer has his own book of high-cost items that they will do as a matter of course if you let them. When you say you do not want that service, they will say that their service is what the factory recommends. Ask them to show you where the factory recommends that. They'll say something about the hard driving you do. Get out the manual if you have to to show them what you want them to do. If you are worried about brakes or other items, they will do a quick walk around looking for other things that might need doing and may catch a brake problem on their own. If you ask them to check the brakes they will probably charge you for that.

Stick with the real factory maintenance items and you won't go wrong and you'll get away with much more reasonably priced service.

I had my MT Fit in a quick-lube clip joint. The tech came up and said he noticed that my automatic transmission fluid was dirty and had never been changed. Some of those places are really hard to get out of without spending a bunch of cash to have your engine flushed or something else like that. I don't mind the dealer making a buck on good service, but you have to educate yourself before you go.

Cheers.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my 09 has 46k miles and besides the usual changes like air/cabin filter, oil change, tires, and front brake pads/bleed, nothing special needed.

going to drain/fill the coolant this summer and add some water in the battery as needed.
(original battery btw, and in snow belt state).

the dealer did the front brake pads and bleed since i had no time to do it 2yrs ago. was $300 or something for the watered down version 30K? 40K? service (since i told them not to do about half of the useless crap they wanted to do to the car...) i usually do my own maintenance. dealer overfilled the oil too.. dumbarses..

Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
dealer overfilled the oil too.. dumbarses..
Figures—I'd do my own maintenance, too, but either I don't have the time or I'm too lazy. Take your pick, I've been accused of both. I enjoy working on our '90 Miata but just can't get into the newer cars. I just don't care about them as long as they keep running. I try to look over the dealer's work when I get the car back and so far I haven't been disappointed. I usually drive down to the dealer in Quincy so by the time I get home I know whether or not everything is working.

Cheers.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
Figures—I'd do my own maintenance, too, but either I don't have the time or I'm too lazy. Take your pick, I've been accused of both. I enjoy working on our '90 Miata but just can't get into the newer cars. I just don't care about them as long as they keep running. I try to look over the dealer's work when I get the car back and so far I haven't been disappointed. I usually drive down to the dealer in Quincy so by the time I get home I know whether or not everything is working.

Cheers.
yah, it wasnt like 'a little over' either... more like a frikken an inch overfill on the dipstick...lol.. probably close to a qt over.

ive not taken in any of my cars since. dealers just suckarse most of the time, and most folks dont have a clue wat the dealer did or didnt do.