3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
I got AAA a few years ago when I had a breakdown on the freeway- the roadside assistance through Progressive got me home, but turned out I couldn't fix it myself and it was cheaper to get a 1 year membership than to pay a tow truck out of pocket to get from the house to the mechanic. About to cancel it now, the insurance company was cheaper, but since I had to start driving normal cars I haven't had a need to go to a shop.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
I got AAA a few years ago when I had a breakdown on the freeway- the roadside assistance through Progressive got me home, but turned out I couldn't fix it myself and it was cheaper to get a 1 year membership than to pay a tow truck out of pocket to get from the house to the mechanic. About to cancel it now, the insurance company was cheaper, but since I had to start driving normal cars I haven't had a need to go to a shop.
!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2017, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
My two cents - and I work for an insurance company -

The insurance company coverage is dirt cheap. That's the best value. Overall, though, all "insurance" costs you more than you'll get back. So sticking the names of several local towing companies in your car might be even more affordable. Of course, if you EXPECT to break down frequently .. well then you have other issues, beyond the scope here. Don't expect your insurer to pick up the tab for running out of gas every 50 miles. (Yes, there are people like that).

AAA costs more, but at the same time, if you use the AAA discounts you can quickly get back your yearly premium. That's what I do. I don't actually think it's "worth it" but let's be honest - I am not paying for dollars of roadside assistance. I am only paying for peace of mind.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
My two cents - and I work for an insurance company -

I am not paying for dollars of roadside assistance. I am only paying for peace of mind.
Right!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by honestrands
... I have roadside for the next three years, and the manager at Honda told me to cancel CAA. I honestly don't think I will.
Honestrands, I've had occasion to use the Honda service a few times - once for a flat and a couple of times for boosts and they have been fast and efficient. They text you with updates 3 or 4 times before arrival and if the scheduled ETA has passed, they follow up.
I, too have been a CAA member for years but will not bother to renew as long as I have the Honda service.