3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Weak AC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Yet another argument in favor the manual trans turning 3000rpm@60mph, compared to the CVT Mine does OK here south of Knoxville, but....disclaimer...I work nights (7p to 7a), and car is garaged at when at home. We were in Gulf Shores last Sept/Oct, car was outside 24/7 and yeah, it was hot, and yeah, the AC could be stronger. Our Fit is black, with 35% tint sides and rear. I read a tip somewhere that helps initial cooling a lil is to open a back door, and use the driver's door to kind of "fan" "pump"the hot air out and suck/pump the outside air in, doing this several times or more....sure it's hot out, but not as hot as the air on the inside. And if anyone asks you what you're doing, just tell them that your wife farted in the car, you know
Does your wife read your posts? If so, where should we send the flowers? Car port, garage, or shade tree are safer answers. An ill fitting sunshade can be propped up with the sun visors.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Does your wife read your posts? If so, where should we send the flowers? Car port, garage, or shade tree are safer answers. An ill fitting sunshade can be propped up with the sun visors.
Nah, she just reads my FaceBook nonsense .....she always asks what I do online, show her my history ...I go to news sites, car sites, and guitar sites, for the most part, maybe guns occasionally....you can hear her eyes roll Cars, guitars, and guns ... good stuff

Old 06-23-2017, 03:13 PM
I've used a stronger refrigerant once in my Toyota Celica which had poor A/C performance. It did work actually. To find it though is a bit of a secret though which I discovered on youtube websites without any problems.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Nah, she just reads my FaceBook nonsense .....she always asks what I do online, show her my history ...I go to news sites, car sites, and guitar sites, for the most part, maybe guns occasionally....you can hear her eyes roll Cars, guitars, and guns ... good stuff
Cars, guns and to some extent, computers. Guitars and baseball I'll leave to my son. When he lived in the Chicago area his group did bumper music for Danny Bonaduche. He is still running Chicago Cubs Online but it's losing money since too many visitors discovered ad blockers.

Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit contain the same info as the driver's license. Different orientation, same photo with different background color, same number. Both are issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety.

But you probably knew that.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit contain the same info as the driver's license. Different orientation, same photo with different background color, same number. Both are issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety.

But you probably knew that.
I knew some of it....haven't gotten to the point of getting the carry permit....been a while since range time, I needs to practice. Some day, one day.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
I knew some of it....haven't gotten to the point of getting the carry permit....been a while since range time, I needs to practice. Some day, one day.
I don't practice simply cannot afford to do it. The range test is not demanding. My ex passed with no problem, as a matter of fact she did better than her husband. They took the range test at the same time.

We had the same trainer at different times. The trainer is an experienced former MNDPD sergeant. He teaches survival carry/shooting. Get a trainer to refresh your knowledge of the rules of carry. His classes consisted of 8 hours of range and 8 hours in a classroom,, twice the state minimum.

I carry everywhere it's legal. The Fit has several places to stow a handgun in case you have to go to a gun free zone, some more secure than others.

Car jacking wasn't a term known 30 or so years ago. Neither was road rage. Self defense should not end at your doorstep, get in your car and drive on the public road.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:10 AM
Kent...you hijacked the thread. We are suppose to be talking about A/C, not guns.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by calpencil
Kent...you hijacked the thread. We are suppose to be talking about A/C, not guns.
Sorry....I was his enabler I'm sure I could find a spot or two to stow my gun in my Fit when I do get a carry permit....there, I mentioned my Fit...back on track

Old 06-24-2017, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by calpencil
Sorry, my bad. Sometimes I get carried away. Two incidents nearby, one involving Georgia escapees, has me on high alert although resolved.

I run the AC, recirc, setting 2 constantly. That's generally satisfactory even though the Fit is not garaged. According to my son, Nashville ranks just below New Orleans and Florida in terms of heat and humidity. Neither one of us has spent time in South Carolina, southern Georgia, or Alabama.

Evacuate the hot air from the cabin as best you can before setting off on the trip.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
When it is very hot inside the car, start out using outside fresh air. You are trying to bring in "cooler" air for the AC unit from outside and to force some of the existing hot air out of the vehicle. At the point where the air temperature inside is equal to the outside air temperature, switch to recirculate for the rest of the trip.

I have switched refrigerants on many R-12 vehicles and a few R-134 vehicles. The result is better cooling with lower horsepower loss. This is due to lower head pressure needed with Duracool or one of it's look-alikes (HC-12, Frosty Cool, Etc.). I have both Duracool and R-134 in 30 pound containers in stock so I can use either. The cost is about the same. Duracool can use the same oil (PAG, Ester, or mineral.) So it is a matter of just changing refrigerants.

I have never charged a Fit with Duracool, but the capacity is so small that 2 or 3 cans ought to do it. Do not do this if you do not know what you are doing as the charge needs to be done with gauges (NOT Weight). We usually shoot for 20 to 22 PSI at 1500 rpm. Less than that and you will freeze up the evaporator. Most than that and your cooling efficiency goes down. Most people that screw it up have too much in the system.

That big front window is definitely a negative on cooling a Fit.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
It 's a Fit thing. The A/C is just "adequate". Got a friend with a Gen 2 that's the same. Use sunshade. Park under trees if you can. You'll be fine.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:17 PM
The dark dashboard doesn't help matters. Have no idea why they make these cars with dark interiors.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
A white dash would have reflections on the windshield. Yes, the large amount of glass is a huge problem, as is an AC system to appears to be sized to the engine, not the cooling need. Even in New England I found it barely sufficient when the car is new.

Try charging your system. Might help. Mine has a minor leak somewhere, needs a charge every year now. 2012 Fit, and was noticeable after only 10K miles. Disappointing. Not yet worth troubleshooting.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robs
It's a Fit thing . . . Use sunshade. Park under trees if you can.
Crack-open the moonroof a bit, if you have one, a lot of the heat will vent out.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Two cars ago had a light grey dash and there was no reflection on the windshield. I'm driving a different car now (evaluating it for JD Power) but in four days I'm going back to my Fit and I may just throw a white towel on the dash and see how that works.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:29 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by n9cv
When it is very hot inside the car, start out using outside fresh air. You are trying to bring in "cooler" air for the AC unit from outside and to force some of the existing hot air out of the vehicle. At the point where the air temperature inside is equal to the outside air temperature, switch to recirculate for the rest of the trip.

I have switched refrigerants on many R-12 vehicles and a few R-134 vehicles. The result is better cooling with lower horsepower loss. This is due to lower head pressure needed with Duracool or one of it's look-alikes (HC-12, Frosty Cool, Etc.). I have both Duracool and R-134 in 30 pound containers in stock so I can use either. The cost is about the same. Duracool can use the same oil (PAG, Ester, or mineral.) So it is a matter of just changing refrigerants.

I have never charged a Fit with Duracool, but the capacity is so small that 2 or 3 cans ought to do it. Do not do this if you do not know what you are doing as the charge needs to be done with gauges (NOT Weight). We usually shoot for 20 to 22 PSI at 1500 rpm. Less than that and you will freeze up the evaporator. Most than that and your cooling efficiency goes down. Most people that screw it up have too much in the system.

That big front window is definitely a negative on cooling a Fit.
Well, I'm talking about replacing the system with R152a. You usually replace by using weight.

The molecular weight of R134a is 102, and the molecular weight of R152a is 66.
Therefore: 66/102=.64% So multiply your factory charge by .64 and you have the theoretical correct charge for 152a.

Example: For the 2002 F150 Pickup. Factory charge is 33 oz.
33oz x .64= 21.12oz. Take 2, 11 oz cans and charge the car after placing the air conditioning into a deep vacuum.

I looked everywhere though...I can't find the tag that shows how to service the air conditioning. Usually it tells you how much weight to put R134a in the car.

Anyone have those numbers?

Or should I really try the refrigerant swap using the 20 to 22 PSI @ 1500 RPM method?

Last edited by calpencil; 06-27-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:56 AM
The 2008 Honda Fit's Air Conditioning Values are listed here:

I wonder if the 2015 Honda Fit (the car I have) maintains these same values.

If so, then the capacity of the system using R134a is 14.1oz - 15.9oz.

14.1oz x .64 = 9.024oz
15.9oz x .64 = 10.176oz

So if I can pull the a/c to a vacuum for about 30 minutes to burn off any moisture in the system and then refill the system with between 9oz to 10oz of R154a, I should be good.

For all those that don't know, R154a is Difluoroethane and can be found in "Dust Sprayer" used for computers. Not all of them are pure Difluoroethane though, so when you look at the can, read the ingredients on the back to verify it's pure 100% Difluoroethane and not a blend of other refrigerants.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:18 AM
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ng_Refrigerant

Here is the science behind it all. In short, it can be a direct drop in replacement for systems that currently are set up for R134a. However the COP Value is much better for R154a given the same operating temperature used for R134a.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Refrigerant Type foe Fit 2015

Air Conditioning:
Refrigerant Type HFC-134a (R-134a)
Charge Quantity 13.2 – 15.0 oz (375 – 425 g)
Lubricant Type ND-OIL8

From page 432, Owner's Manual

Quick Reply: Weak AC?