3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New GK5 owner checking in!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Smile New GK5 owner checking in!

Howdy ya'lls!

New GK5 owner in San Francisco checking in! Replaced my very dearly beloved 2002 Acura TL-S at 180k after 4 transmissions...

Needed a dog car, so looked into hatchbacks, and here I am now

I'm a bit of a tuner/track-nut, track vehicle being a 96 Integra, so I went ahead with some basic parts to ideally spruce up the Fit *fingerscrossed.

Swift Springs -- improved ride quality over stock springs (thank god), and reduced freeway wobble and bounce significantly (praise the JDM powers that be). Sits a bit lower than I'd like, but does clean up the look a bit. Was a toss up between Swift, Tein, and Eibach springs. Didn't want Eibach's due to personal preference against progressive spring rates. Tein's spring rates appear softer than stock (may be a good thing), but ultimately just wanted to try out the Swift brand, which much to my delight, does live up to their name and reputation. Strongly recommend to any GK owner wanting more composure in suspension behavior.

Tanabe Front Upper Strut Bar -- it bolts "near" the strut towers, and while pretty good looking (a nice metallic red), I'd call it an unappreciable difference in handling feel. Not recommended for daily street driving.

Progress Rear Sway Bar -- I'm pretty bummed about this one. At least on the street, not much noticeable difference either. The rear of the car feels a tad more taut, but as far as rotation is concerned, it's not apparent. Perhaps on the track or through some more vivid twisties the bar may prove more useful. Not recommended for daily street driving.

LMZ 45W LED H4 Headlights -- had good luck with VLEDS HID kits, so figured try their LED kit. H4 retaining clip was a pain in the ass to work with, and my aim is still off. Will report in once the aim is corrected.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, most impressed thing about the Fit so far? Hit 49.6 mpg! Holy moly! And the tiny little fuel tank that only needs Regular is greatly appreciated as well. $25 buck for a full tank

Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by donkeyatdusk
Howdy ya'lls!

New GK5 owner in San Francisco checking in! Replaced my very dearly beloved 2002 Acura TL-S at 180k after 4 transmissions...

Needed a dog car, so looked into hatchbacks, and here I am now

I'm a bit of a tuner/track-nut, track vehicle being a 96 Integra, so I went ahead with some basic parts to ideally spruce up the Fit *fingerscrossed.

Swift Springs -- improved ride quality over stock springs (thank god), and reduced freeway wobble and bounce significantly (praise the JDM powers that be). Sits a bit lower than I'd like, but does clean up the look a bit. Was a toss up between Swift, Tein, and Eibach springs. Didn't want Eibach's due to personal preference against progressive spring rates. Tein's spring rates appear softer than stock (may be a good thing), but ultimately just wanted to try out the Swift brand, which much to my delight, does live up to their name and reputation. Strongly recommend to any GK owner wanting more composure in suspension behavior.

Tanabe Front Upper Strut Bar -- it bolts "near" the strut towers, and while pretty good looking (a nice metallic red), I'd call it an unappreciable difference in handling feel. Not recommended for daily street driving.

Progress Rear Sway Bar -- I'm pretty bummed about this one. At least on the street, not much noticeable difference either. The rear of the car feels a tad more taut, but as far as rotation is concerned, it's not apparent. Perhaps on the track or through some more vivid twisties the bar may prove more useful. Not recommended for daily street driving.

LMZ 45W LED H4 Headlights -- had good luck with VLEDS HID kits, so figured try their LED kit. H4 retaining clip was a pain in the ass to work with, and my aim is still off. Will report in once the aim is corrected.
Nice review sir! Im located on the other side of the bay, Oakland. I go to SF ofteb maybe I might run into you.

Cheers!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Btw, if you want to let go of your Progress rear sway, ill be happy to take it off your hands for a handsome price

Im throwing Koni STR.T shocks and H&R springs in this Friday. I just installed my new wheels and econo-spirit tires. Just received my TechnaFit SS brake lines and EBC green pads. Just need that rear sway to complete my Commuter-Spirited Tune.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, most impressed thing about the Fit so far? Hit 49.6 mpg! Holy moly! And the tiny little fuel tank that only needs Regular is greatly appreciated as well. $25 buck for a full tank
No way in CA. Can't fool me. I lived there longer than you've been alive. You must be putting in 5 gallons and calling that a full tank. Where is a picture of the car? It's not real unless there is a picture. I will give you a cautious welcome until a picture shows up.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
Btw, if you want to let go of your Progress rear sway, ill be happy to take it off your hands for a handsome price

Im throwing Koni STR.T shocks and H&R springs in this Friday. I just installed my new wheels and econo-spirit tires. Just received my TechnaFit SS brake lines and EBC green pads. Just need that rear sway to complete my Commuter-Spirited Tune.
lol thanks for the warm welcome man! I just put on the Progress earlier this afternoon. Lemme get a lil more seat time before giving it up

Did read up on your build thread -- think I'll add the SS brake lines to the mix. The Koni STR.T's are for the GD Fit yea?

Old 06-21-2017, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
No way in CA. Can't fool me. I lived there longer than you've been alive. You must be putting in 5 gallons and calling that a full tank. Where is a picture of the car? It's not real unless there is a picture. I will give you a cautious welcome until a picture shows up.
photos pending moderator approval

$25.37 for 8.752 gallons. I took pix to send to my gf to make fun of her $60 fill up for BMW 328

Old 06-21-2017, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member

$25.37 for 8.752 gallons. I took pix to send to my gf to make fun of her $60 fill up for BMW 328
I couldn't believe the cost of gas until I googled it. Amazing low price for CA.

To improve air quality, the state limits the type of gasoline to a specially formulated blend commonly known as CARBOB. The blend, too expensive for most outside producers to make and deliver, is largely created within the state.

I believe by Chevron in Richmond. Also high gas tax!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
lol thanks for the warm welcome man! I just put on the Progress earlier this afternoon. Lemme get a lil more seat time before giving it up

Did read up on your build thread -- think I'll add the SS brake lines to the mix. The Koni STR.T's are for the GD Fit yea?
The Koni set I bought was fore the 2nd gen (GE). Several folks on the forum have that setup.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:25 PM
I have the Progress Rear Sway Bar on my 09 fit. I do feel noticeable improvement over corning on daily basis.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Congrats on the purchase! Like you I hate progressive spring rates and Swifts are awesome. I've been running their metric coilover springs on my MX-5 for 7 years now without issue. My rates are 12K and 7K, so a bit firm.

Do you have a pic of your Fit on the Swifts? I'd like to see how much they lower it.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member

Welcome to FitFreak!

yup, just filled mine up for about $24. love it!

Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
I couldn't believe the cost of gas until I googled it. Amazing low price for CA.

To improve air quality, the state limits the type of gasoline to a specially formulated blend commonly known as CARBOB. The blend, too expensive for most outside producers to make and deliver, is largely created within the state.

I believe by Chevron in Richmond. Also high gas tax!
Tennessee just increased its gasoline tax by 6 cents over the next 3 years (4, 1 and 1) from 21.4 cents/gallon, the first increase in 30 years. Sales tax on food from the grocery (prepared food not reduced) by 1 cent. As little as I drive and eat out very little, I guess I'll about break even.

A full (9 +/- gallons) currently costs me about $20. With a Kroger discount of between 20 and 30 cents per gallon around $17. As Charlie Daniels say, "Ain't it great to be alive in Tennessee."

Don't you just love having Jerry Brown controlling your life and having Eric Holder working as a lawyer for the state.

Last edited by KentFinn; 06-23-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Tennessee just increased its gasoline tax by 6 cents over the next 3 years (4, 1 and 1) from 21.4 cents/gallon, the first increase in 30 years. Sales tax on food from the grocery (prepared food not reduced) by 1 cent. As little as I drive and eat out very little, I guess I'll about break even.

A full (9 +/- gallons) currently costs me about $20. With a Kroger discount of between 20 and 30 cents per gallon around $17. As Charlie Daniels say, "Ain't it great to be alive in Tennessee."

Don't you just love having Jerry Brown controlling your life and having Eric Holder working as a lawyer for the state.
We have a couple stations (as of yesterday) around here, name brand "top tier" brands, selling for $1.99 ....yeah, I've loved the more affordable gas here in TN since migrating south 15 years ago ...Maryville's not a bad place, other than stupid drivers. Traffic ain't bad, close to Tail of the Dragon, close to the mountains, not to mention lots of twisty back roads even closer in the county. And I could definitely feel the difference with the Progress rear bar, at least with the driving I do 'round here. If one's driving consists of straight roads, hwy driving, whatever, yeah, it's not needed....but it does help when the roads actually curve. A Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust sounds good, too, without being overly loud...pricey, though

Old 06-24-2017, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
We have a couple stations (as of yesterday) around here, name brand "top tier" brands, selling for $1.99 ....yeah, I've loved the more affordable gas here in TN since migrating south 15 years ago ...Maryville's not a bad place, other than stupid drivers. Traffic ain't bad, close to Tail of the Dragon, close to the mountains, not to mention lots of twisty back roads even closer in the county. And I could definitely feel the difference with the Progress rear bar, at least with the driving I do 'round here. If one's driving consists of straight roads, hwy driving, whatever, yeah, it's not needed....but it does help when the roads actually curve. A Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust sounds good, too, without being overly loud...pricey, though
Well, have you learned the native pronunciation of Maryville yet? (Muryvile).

Temple of VTEC is full of stories about the Tail of the Dragon. As a Middle Tennessean I'm not really a flatlander, but it tickles me to see someone with plates west of the Mississippi nervously creep around a curve while going to the plateau near Cookeville.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Hi donkeyatdusk! From your comment about the Tein spring rates being softer than stock, it sounds like you know the stock spring rates. Could you please add that information in your original post? I am looking for the stock spring rates and have had no luck yet.

I also have the Swift springs:
Part Number: 4H916
-1" Front Drop
-.09" Rear Drop
140/lbs inch Front Rating = 2.506 kg/mm
156/lbs Rear Rating = 2.792 kg/mm

I think the Swift springs have disturbed the damping/spring rate balance since my car now jumps to the outside of the turn when I hit expansion joints or bumps while turning at highway speeds. I have a friend with a stock GK5 Fit which I've tested on the same roads at the same speeds and it holds the turn without losing grip. So I am now looking at buying a set of BC adjustable coilovers which come with 5k front, 3k rear.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow 49.6 is prius territory!

Old 06-25-2017, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn

I think Tennessee ranks as one of the least educated state in the nation. Surely, the average income probably ranks just as low. Nothing antagonizing here, just facts.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-25-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I think Tennessee ranks as one of the least educated state in the nation. Surely, the average income probably ranks just as low. Nothing antagonizing here, just facts.
I think I stated my heritage here before ... Irish, German, and Cherokee. It's pretty easy to get on the fightin' side of me, pilgrim. Oh, and I am an NRA member w/THP (Tennessee Handgun Permit) There wouldn't be a Texas if it weren't for Tennessee.

Seriously, I think you mean Mississippi. Last I looked, Tennessee ranked 34th. Now technically speaking, D.C. & NYC spend far more per student than Tennessee, but get worse results (HS grads).

I don't get mad, I get even. (from a former union sergeant of arms)

Last edited by KentFinn; 06-25-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

I can't figure out how to get the photos I've uploaded to post to this thread

Quick Reply: New GK5 owner checking in!