3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How does this car handle in crosswinds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
maybe the guy wears manatee gray sweaters..

Old 08-31-2017, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Maybe it's point of reference or specific to certain configurations of Fits?

Don't get me wrong, the Fit does get blown around a bit. It is, after all, a 2500 lb car that is relatively high profile for it's weight. You can't completely ignore the physics of how a light/tall vehicle will drive compared to a heavy/low vehicle.
Agreed. I ride a motorbike so I'm used to getting pushed around in the wind or by semis. The Fit feels planted compared to a motorbike. After a week long road trip with the family in the 4Runner, the Fit felt twitchy in comparison Once I got used to driving a 2500lb car again, it was nothing to be concerned with.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
I don't notice it, but, have virtually always driven small lightweight cars, other than the Olds 88 pig that my dad gave us when he could no longer drive. The Olds motor was pretty damned good.....everything else about the car was abysmal.....the Fit is fine in crosswind if one is used to it

Old 09-04-2017, 01:23 PM
I agree with most of the post in regards to the Fit being twitchy and even horrible in crosswinds. I commute 135 miles one way and at times had heavy crosswinds going through the city of Benicia. And more recently a business trip to Palm Springs. Now having said that, I slowed down to 60-65mph and the twitchy feeling subsided....AND having said that, I recently installed the Progress RSB and - wow! - I would say there is a difference. For whatever reason, I had more control coming home last night than previously (I felt as if I was driving my 1-ton Chevy). At first, I thought it wasn't that windy, but there was another Honda Fit ahead of me and it appeared to be getting thrashed around. As I passed, I saw the driver looking kinda nervous but maybe that was just my perception until I noticed how he occasional would steer into the wind. In any case, with this car in heavy crosswinds, just slow down and all goes well.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:13 PM
I've driven in heavy winds in my GE8 and it took a steady hand to keep from getting blown around. I think because the car has a high profile and is quite light, it is more prone to being blown around. Nothing I couldn't handle but it was mildly unsettling.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
its okay if this is the only car you have or drive. its when you come from another stable car and drive the Fit in crosswind when it becomes fatiguing keeping the car straight. cause you know you shouldnt have to do this.

as godfather mentioned, slow down and you'll be fine.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
as godfather mentioned, slow down and you'll be fine.
Slow down nothin', I'm fine at any speed Yeah, I guess if you went from a huge heavy vehicle to a Fit, the light weight will be felt. It's really no big deal....have driven from Knoxville area to Philly PA and from Knoxville area to Gulf Shores Alabama a couple times each....no problems with crosswinds/tractor-trailer induced winds. It's a small, lightweight car....it is what it is, and it's no big deal if one knows how to drive, really. 4000 rpm/80 mph.....everybody outta my damn way

Old 09-05-2017, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
car doesnt go that fast to begin with i guess.

lol

Old 09-05-2017, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Ours has gone 105mph a few times. Events were of course on a closed road with all women, children, and domesticated animals locked up for safety concerns.

It was fairly stable at speed given its profile and weight. I wonder if complaints are coming from GD folks or later generations? Our GD really isn't that bad with the RSB and wider tires. Don't get me wrong. You know you're not going slow...even at 70mph.

70mph in the Fit is more thrilling than my other car is past where it's speedometer is able to read.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Ours has gone 105mph a few times. Events were of course on a closed road with all women, children, and domesticated animals locked up for safety concerns.

It was fairly stable at speed given its profile and weight. I wonder if complaints are coming from GD folks or later generations? Our GD really isn't that bad with the RSB and wider tires. Don't get me wrong. You know you're not going slow...even at 70mph.

70mph in the Fit is more thrilling than my other car is past where it's speedometer is able to read.
Mines a 2017. As someone eluded to, this is the smallest lightest car I've owned. I've owned VW Beetle's (air cooled) which are technically lighter, but they weren't daily drivers. Just weekend cars. Closest in weight for modern cars I've owned were my SRT-4 which was around 2800# compared to the Fit's 2500-2600#. The SRT-4 obviously was a performance car and lower in both overall hight and center of gravity. Besides the Fit, I have a 2013 WRX. Actual scale weight of my WRX is 3070# with 1/4 tank of gas. Again lower, performance oriented and has 255 wide tires. Again, I think the fit performs poorly around trucks and/or in a crosswind at 75mph. Is it safety recall dangerous, obviously not. Is it annoying, yes very.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
only GAFIT would reply with a serious answer..

Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Given the height of the car I was surprised how little it was affected when big trucks rolled past. My 82 Accord, which was quite low (but also lighter, about 2100 lbs) got blown sideways more, as did my 68 aircooled beetle (high, and less than 2000 lbs). I think Honda gave some thought to minimizing crosswind effect.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
the GK has electronic steering so it does help minimize the tugging effect from the car vs wat u must've felt on ur 82 accord. lol

Old 08-06-2018, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
torque steer

Originally Posted by kenchan
the GK has electronic steering so it does help minimize the tugging effect from the car vs wat u must've felt on ur 82 accord. lol
I read that the power steering has a mechanism to compensate for torque steer. Is this what you are referring to? Or does it have another mechanism, in addition, to compensate for "wind-tug"?

Old 08-06-2018, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
torque steer and bump steer. not wind steer..lol

Old 08-06-2018, 02:43 PM
The fit is fine in crosswinds to me, way better than my jeep TJ

Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
It's def noticeable but totally manageable. Worst for me is when you're moving through the truck convoys on the interstate and esp. when you first pop out from beside the truck into the open area you'll get some good sway and have to hold tight on the wheel. In rural NM (nothing on your side as far as you can see and maybe two oncoming vehicles every 5 min or so) I had the throttle as open as far as I'd dare and a few times at 105 mph I felt like it was ready to go airborne coming out of a dip. I've also run in some interstate-buddy convoys at sustained 90 mph and it always felt grounded and solid. And as others say a good wind will totally destroy mpg no matter what speed unless you're lucky enough to have it behind you, then it'll be a good day.

edit note: whoa, post no. 500! Do I get a prize?

Last edited by bach; 08-08-2018 at 07:03 AM. Reason: it's no. 500!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
You'll find a cookie on the kitchen counter ;-)

Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
I have a theory and its not the crosswinds winds that are causing my 2018 Fit Sport to dance around. I believe its the narrower wheelbase and the small 185 stock tires tracking in the larger groves of highway lanes. I am lowered on Swifts and only on I-10 here in Houston does it dance around. Other highways at 65-80 mph here the car is planted and very stable.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by freak4afit
I have a theory and its not the crosswinds winds that are causing my 2018 Fit Sport to dance around. I believe its the narrower wheelbase and the small 185 stock tires tracking in the larger groves of highway lanes. I am lowered on Swifts and only on I-10 here in Houston does it dance around. Other highways at 65-80 mph here the car is planted and very stable.
I agree. The tires are ridiculously small. Alignment can also play a part. These are small cars and the alignment needs to be spot on.

As I said before, a Progress RSB helped ours. As did wider tires. There's a noticeable difference between our stock 195/55-15's and our 205/45-16's. I can only imagine what it would be like going to the taller 185's on the GK.

Quick Reply: How does this car handle in crosswinds?