3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

OEM Tire Life

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
OEM Tire Life

I have a Canadian Model LX.

OEM tires have 45,000 KMS (28,000 miles) on them and look to be near end of life. There are Firestones. Any other Canadian owners experiencing similar wear?

Old 10-10-2017, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
I got to about 40k and was at 3/32 before I replaced the stock Firestone.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
lol 40K miles... wow!

Old 10-11-2017, 01:56 AM
I suppose it will also depend on what OEM tires you got. I have the 17 LX and I got Continental ProContacts which I haven't seen anyone else mention. Wonder if these tires are better or worse than the Firestones or Dunlops?

Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
I run continentals on my BMW, DWS or the New one forget the name as I type. They are very high quality and last nicely in my experience.. Michelins usually win for MPG though.. YMMV(Literally LOL)

Old 10-11-2017, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
DWS06 is the current version. i run those as winter set on my cars right now. very good all seasons but run blizzaks on the GK for winter.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
lol 40K miles... wow!
or was it 40K kilometers. Either way, you both got more than I did. To be honest, the OEM Firestone tires on my Fit were trash. Barely fit to use as a swing. I wasn’t sorry to see them go.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
or was it 40K kilometers. Either way, you both got more than I did. To be honest, the OEM Firestone tires on my Fit were trash. Barely fit to use as a swing. I wasn’t sorry to see them go.
40k miles

I agree, the stock Firestone were not great but I couldn't justify tossing perfectly usable tires. I was glad to see them go and am happy with the Altimax RT43

Old 10-11-2017, 07:54 PM
45,000 (mostly hwy miles) on my Firestone oem tires. They still look good but they can be noisy on certain surfaces. I'm guessing another 20k before I replace them probably with Michelin Defenders - supposedly a much quieter tire.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
DWS06 is the current version. i run those as winter set on my cars right now. very good all seasons but run blizzaks on the GK for winter.
My 3 series is AWD ,, so the DWS makes it in to a snowmobile..

Old 10-12-2017, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
When I bought my '15 LX CPO from the local dealer, it had about 44,000 miles on it, and had virtually new Cooper tires on it, so the original owner got less than 44,000 miles out of the original set - dunno what was speced, there were a couple generic "tire info brochures" from a couple tiremakers in the glovebox, I guess to cover whatever brand they may be slapping on when built. The Coopers seem to be pretty decent tires, for what they are - want to put fatter tires on it, but, am not going to remove perfectly good tires...I can wait

Old 10-12-2017, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
When I was a lot younger and more reckless, I rode a sportbike everywhere. 3-5000 miles on a set of tires. As I got older and had more disposable income, I got an NSX and was thrilled to get 10k on the rears and 20k on the fronts. Now having to drive a family car, it feels like everlasting gobstoppers or something. I keep going and going and the tires are still good. Takes some getting used to.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
sound like u need to work on more disposable income.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, right? Actually, I got the NSX with Army deployment money (was a 92, so not really expensive). My pay now is several times what it was then, but between the house and the kids it's never enough.

I went from the Army to a police department, so now if I drive as fast as I used to, I'd probably get fired. Haven't forgotten my roots though, I've only written two speeding tickets in eight years, and once gave a kid a warning for a rolling burnout through an intersection.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in the States, maybe it makes this response invalid, but I got just over 27K miles out of my OEM Firestones. 27 months of driving. Not bad. Just replaced today. The Michelins are a LOT quieter, i was surprised at the difference.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Yeah, right? Actually, I got the NSX with Army deployment money (was a 92, so not really expensive). My pay now is several times what it was then, but between the house and the kids it's never enough.

I went from the Army to a police department, so now if I drive as fast as I used to, I'd probably get fired. Haven't forgotten my roots though, I've only written two speeding tickets in eight years, and once gave a kid a warning for a rolling burnout through an intersection.
hey thanks for ur service keeping us safe.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
45,000 (mostly hwy miles) on my Firestone oem tires. They still look good but they can be noisy on certain surfaces. I'm guessing another 20k before I replace them probably with Michelin Defenders - supposedly a much quieter tire.
That's what I got, and the noise I'd thought was cabin/wind related must have been the OEM Firestones all this time.

Really wasn't convinced that tires contributed that much to the experience of road noise. Glad to be convinced otherwise.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by aelk799
I have a Canadian Model LX.

OEM tires have 45,000 KMS (28,000 miles) on them and look to be near end of life. There are Firestones. Any other Canadian owners experiencing similar wear?
Hmm, this sounds pretty normal, depending on the quality of the tire / compound used in the tire...I don't think this is anything strange. It isn't necessarily an oddity. If you've altered your suspension (though it doesn't sound like it), it's even more normal. Consider doing some research on your particular tire model and see what other people say the wear is like.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by hasdrubal

You must be the coolest cop in town haha. I really enjoyed reading that . I've only been pulled over once for minor speeding, and the cop was amazing considering I was driving a very modified Civic EP3.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
40k miles

I agree, the stock Firestone were not great but I couldn't justify tossing perfectly usable tires. I was glad to see them go and am happy with the Altimax RT43
I suspect that some of the people here will run their tires until they're bald, judging by some of the mileage reported here. I won't run a tire below 3/32 of tread. At that point they're dangerous in the rain, and I'm not so poor that I can't afford good rubber on the car.

Quick Reply: OEM Tire Life