3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2018 Fit - problems and reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 PM
2018 EX here.

I have under 8k, and so far. One thing you mentioned is something that is my biggest pet-peeve, random rattles and buzzes. Had a 2015 VW jetta that had them all over.

This car has been great until the weather started getting colder. One is in the driver door if you turn the music up, certain bass tones will create an audible buzz of something moving. Also the windows rattle/ buzz when they are open and the music is on. Once the window is closed that particular sound goes away.

One that crept up in the past two weeks is in the dash, in the front left of the car. When the car goes over rough terrain I hear it, and I can now tap my dash at the right spot and hear something loose/ rattle.
I'm not looking forward to the dealership going on a ghost hunt...
I was really hoping to not have this problem with a Honda. If i

Old 11-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SouthernFitFella
2018 EX here.

I have under 8k, and so far. One thing you mentioned is something that is my biggest pet-peeve, random rattles and buzzes. Had a 2015 VW jetta that had them all over.

This car has been great until the weather started getting colder. One is in the driver door if you turn the music up, certain bass tones will create an audible buzz of something moving. Also the windows rattle/ buzz when they are open and the music is on. Once the window is closed that particular sound goes away.

One that crept up in the past two weeks is in the dash, in the front left of the car. When the car goes over rough terrain I hear it, and I can now tap my dash at the right spot and hear something loose/ rattle.
I'm not looking forward to the dealership going on a ghost hunt...
I was really hoping to not have this problem with a Honda. If i
if u wat? don't leave us hangin..!!

Old 11-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by SouthernFitFella
2018 EX here.

I have under 8k, and so far. One thing you mentioned is something that is my biggest pet-peeve, random rattles and buzzes. ...
Ouch! That is not something I wanted to hear. One of the things I really like about my Focus is how rattle free it has been so far.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I like the way the Focus drives. It has a more European/solid feel than the new GK Fit to me. I don't care for the plastics and don't like the auto transmission in the Focus, but overall I think it's a more sporty/European experience. They have had a fair amount of problems though, so I can understand why your are considering moving on from it. I probably would as well.

At this point, I would bet the GK is a fairly reliable choice and is very economical with great use of space.

I'd recommend checking out the VW Golf. It has an even more sold/European feel than your focus, and seems to be more reliable. It's not as fuel efficient or makes as good of use of space as the Fit, but there's no comparison is driving enjoyment. Especially if you're shopping automatics. It still has a traditional automatic. No dry clutch or CVT junk that is annoying to some of us.

When it was time for the wife to get a new commuter, we shopped around and bought a Golf. Still have our Japanese built GD Fit. Nearing 200,000 trouble free, spirited fun driving miles. Not sure the Golf will do that, but not sure a new Fit would either.

If you're ok with a CVT, consider the Toyota Corolla iM as well. I believe it's one of the few non-Mexican built alternatives.
I really like the way the Focus handles and rides. I agree - it's very European in feel. I had a VW Golf in the past and the Focus reminds me of it in many ways. Unfortunately, my experience with VW was also quite troublesome. The Golf all but self destructed after about 50k miles.

The Corolla IM is on my look list. I'm also liking the new Hyundai Accent Limited - lots of kit for the money, but no hatchback in the US.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blade Shunner
Ouch! That is not something I wanted to hear. One of the things I really like about my Focus is how rattle free it has been so far.
My 26K 2015 EX has no rattles, squeaks, groans, or otherwise. Do a reasonable length test drive.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
My 26K 2015 EX has no rattles, squeaks, groans, or otherwise. Do a reasonable length test drive.
nice. wish i could say the same for the GK i have.. i think mine had like 23k miles when i did the oil change a couple of weeks ago.

my wife hasnt complained at all about the car so the noises are within acceptable limits. i mean it's a 17-19k car, i dont expect it to be completely rattle free.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blade Shunner
I really like the way the Focus handles and rides. I agree - it's very European in feel. I had a VW Golf in the past and the Focus reminds me of it in many ways. Unfortunately, my experience with VW was also quite troublesome. The Golf all but self destructed after about 50k miles.

The Corolla IM is on my look list. I'm also liking the new Hyundai Accent Limited - lots of kit for the money, but no hatchback in the US.
yah, my rental place gave me a focus once and it did sort of remind me of my Golfs.

ive seen the IM's in my area which i thought were called Matrix. haha. didnt know it was a corolla. anyway from the reviews (take it with grain of salt) ive heard that the car is pretty much all show no go, and infotainment lacks carplay/android auto if that means anything to you. most reviewers werent too impressed with the car but said it looked cool.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
The engine shroud splash clips that allow the shroud to become loose are not really the fault of the car's design or construction; apparently the shrouds become loose only after someone changes the oil and neglects to put the shroud back on properly - even though it is not really difficult, just time-consuming. Many dealer service department mechanics are just being very sloppy in the way they install the shroud. After an oil change I checked my shroud, and found that not a single one of the Philips head screws had been tightened. They had simply been started into their captive nuts, and turned very little beyond that point. One screw completely missed the captive nut. It was held in place in the shourd by friction with the shroud, and would have fallen off within hours. Oddly, the plastic clips that are often neglected - mine were well-affixed, however they were not the original clips. The original clips with the square expansion part and the threaded center part, had been replaced with the round bumper-type clips.

My 2015 Mexican fit seems to be ok. No rattles at all. Fit and finish are pretty good except in a few small spots that are a bit off-kilter. Stuff you would not notice if you did not look for them.

Last edited by nomenclator; 11-24-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
There are idiots everywhere, but forward thinking engineering takes these people into account. I cannot fault the engineers for the metal screws on the sides of the splash screen. If the dealer's tech has no time to scree them in properly you should not go back to that dealership.

The to rear plastic push in attachments should have been made to be idiot proof, like a computer where each port can only plug into a compatible device. It is not possible to plug a USB device into the port for a memory card, for example.

If, after an oil change you need to check and possibly fix your splash shield, you might as well do the oil change yourself. The splash shield is most of the work.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
There are idiots everywhere, but forward thinking engineering takes these people into account. I cannot fault the engineers for the metal screws on the sides of the splash screen. If the dealer's tech has no time to scree them in properly you should not go back to that dealership.

The to rear plastic push in attachments should have been made to be idiot proof, like a computer where each port can only plug into a compatible device. It is not possible to plug a USB device into the port for a memory card, for example.

If, after an oil change you need to check and possibly fix your splash shield, you might as well do the oil change yourself. The splash shield is most of the work.
What I found is that the captive nuts for the screws aren't held adequately captive. Any one of them may kind of slide away from where it needs to be, and in order to get the screw into it, you will have to find it among the muck that accumulates on the shield, and slide it towards where you think the screw will meet it, and then slide it some more after you find out that that wasn't close enough. And then after a few oil changes and a lot of sliding they could probably become loose, and fall off, after you remove the screw, and then you'd have to find where they fell, squeeze them, and put them back on. It might almost be easier to use removable nuts. So yea, the engineering for that could have been better. Perhaps an ordinary hex nut or square nut surrounded by plastic ridges in the shield to keep the nuts from moving, and a machine screw instead of tapping screw - with a hex head or a Torx head. And with a captive spring washer under the screw head.

Last edited by nomenclator; 11-25-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy

This forum is the reason I decided to do my own oil changes. I haven't done my own in years. I even bought a pack of clips at Autozone yesterday, while buying oil. I hope they are the right size.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
I've got an earlier 2015 with 75k on the clock. Reliability is fine. I had the common early rotor warpage, $150 fix, no big deal.

It's also got the common Honda cold rattle on start up. Dealer and everyone else says no big deal, just annoying. This is a loud rattle that last for a second or two tops.

That's it.

No interior rattles. I hammer this little car hard on farm roads.

It has cheap car design issues. You buy a $18k car, you get a $18k car kinda deal.

Fit and finish are fine. Paint holding up very well.

Console armrest is too low for me.

Annoying wiper chatter issue can be solved with Rainex.

Hate will come for this, but the manual gear ratios are annoying. Way too close range in my opinion. I'll often go from 3rd to 6th.

Interior space is amazing as are the rear magic seats.

Would I buy again? Probably. Hesitation is I have arthritis and the clutch peddle placement hurts my hip.

YMMV

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robs

Hate will come for this, but the manual gear ratios are annoying. Way too close range in my opinion. I'll often go from 3rd to 6th.
No hate from me. At the very least Honda should have kept the 5 speed ratios and added a 6th on top. The last thing it needed was another gear sandwiched within the same lower and upper limits. It could literally use a 800 rpm drop at Interstate speeds. Added to that is the nearly useless first gear.

Our GD has a 3.46 first gear paired with a near 4.30 final drive and a low rpm motor which has the thing bouncing off the limiter about the same time you let the clutch out. Guess the gearing is good for first time/poor drivers. Near impossible to stall and no need to downshift on the Interstate for passing.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
i think if you were winding it up on the canyons those close ratios will benefit. but for most folks it's just another gear to row through or skip.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
With 6 gears, third, fourth, and fifth can be close ratio and still have a normal first, second, and generous overdrive sixth. That's kind of the standard formula for a close ratio box. The Fit's gearing just doesn't make much sense to me.

The 1997 Civic we traded in on the Fit had better ratios IMO.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
The engine shroud splash clips that allow the shroud to become loose are not really the fault of the car's design or construction; apparently the shrouds become loose only after someone changes the oil and neglects to put the shroud back on properly - even though it is not really difficult, just time-consuming. Many dealer service department mechanics are just being very sloppy in the way they install the shroud. After an oil change I checked my shroud, and found that not a single one of the Philips head screws had been tightened. They had simply been started into their captive nuts, and turned very little beyond that point. One screw completely missed the captive nut. It was held in place in the shourd by friction with the shroud, and would have fallen off within hours. Oddly, the plastic clips that are often neglected - mine were well-affixed, however they were not the original clips. The original clips with the square expansion part and the threaded center part, had been replaced with the round bumper-type clips.

My 2015 Mexican fit seems to be ok. No rattles at all. Fit and finish are pretty good except in a few small spots that are a bit off-kilter. Stuff you would not notice if you did not look for them.
I changed the oil this past Sunday, on my 2017, and one of the rear clips fell out on the ground. I imagine it's gone again by now. Pitiful design.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
No hate from me. At the very least Honda should have kept the 5 speed ratios and added a 6th on top. The last thing it needed was another gear sandwiched within the same lower and upper limits. It could literally use a 800 rpm drop at Interstate speeds. Added to that is the nearly useless first gear.

Our GD has a 3.46 first gear paired with a near 4.30 final drive and a low rpm motor which has the thing bouncing off the limiter about the same time you let the clutch out. Guess the gearing is good for first time/poor drivers. Near impossible to stall and no need to downshift on the Interstate for passing.
Combined with the fact that the automatic was a CVT rather than a the usual planetary gear device, those gear ratios are why I bought an automatic for the first time in my life. When shopping for cars and looking at the gear ratios for the manual, I thought to myself that Honda marketing might have intentionally chosen gear ratios for the manual with the purpose in mind of increasing sales of the CVT.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tusk
I changed the oil this past Sunday, on my 2017, and one of the rear clips fell out on the ground. I imagine it's gone again by now. Pitiful design.
Yes, maybe you are right about it being poor engineering. What got me thinking that way is remembering that on the Kia Soul I looked at, there are trap doors in the front shroud that allow you to change the oil and the oil filter without having to remove the entire shroud.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
with all these nayers honda's going to drop MT next time. lol

Old 11-29-2017, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
I would guess that the MT is still extremely popular in most third world countries, possibly outselling the CVT and so it is likely to be widely available for many years to come. Whether it will be available in Canada/USA in the future is debatable.

The gear ratios on the MT will remain a puzzle, one of life's great mysteries. Honda has had lots of time to fix the problem but haven't done so. Aren't the people in other countries where MTs are more popular also unhappy with the gear ratios?

Quick Reply: 2018 Fit - problems and reliability?