3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I am debating whether I should sell my Honda CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 11:19 PM
I am debating whether I should sell my Honda CR-V

Hi all, I currently own three cars: A Honda Fit (mine), a Honda CR-V (wife's), and a Toyota Tacoma (both of ours). I drive the Fit around town, and for short distance commutes. My wife does the same with the CR-V. I use the Tacoma for road trips, hauling, and off-roading, since it is a 4X4. Before I bought the Tacoma, I used the CR-V for road trips, but since the truck is more "practical" for road trips, I personally do not see a purpose in keeping the CR-V. Any ideas?

Old 12-18-2017, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Gotta keep the missus happy. How does she feel about selling the CR-V, and what would she be driving if it got sold? Your Fit? Then you'd be down to two vehicles, and as long as she's happy with the Fit, no problemo.

I'm not sure why the Taco is better for long trips unless you're hauling either a (heavy) trailer or more cargo than the CR-V can hold. If neither of those apply, I'd think the CR-V would be more comfortable and get better MPG than the Taco. But you might have a different reason to prefer the Taco for long rips.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
I love our 2015 Fit EX. My son has never missed a day of work due to snow with his 2008 Fit and I never did before I retired. That said, my wife doesn't like the Fit and would've MUCH rather had a CR-V or Subaru Forester. I like the CR-V better too, but the Fit is all we need. We seldom drive our 4WD F250 diesel supercab with 8' bed any more, except for hauling and for emergencies where we'd have unplowed deep snow.

If you need to get rid of a vehicle, I'd say get rid of the Fit and start driving the Taco yourself. The savings on insurance and license plates will probably pay for the extra fuel it uses. Happy wife, happy life.

Last edited by Fitmo; 12-18-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NateFitDog
Hi all, I currently own three cars: A Honda Fit (mine), a Honda CR-V (wife's), and a Toyota Tacoma (both of ours). I drive the Fit around town, and for short distance commutes. My wife does the same with the CR-V. I use the Tacoma for road trips, hauling, and off-roading, since it is a 4X4. Before I bought the Tacoma, I used the CR-V for road trips, but since the truck is more "practical" for road trips, I personally do not see a purpose in keeping the CR-V. Any ideas?
yah, it seems the fit and crv is kinda redundant.. how about you sell the crv and get a small affordable sports car like a miata or BRZ or something that both of you can enjoy?

Old 12-18-2017, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
If you can afford it, I'd hold off a bit. Nothing really to be gained by selling except for the $$. But we've had three cars at times too and it was always more valuable to me than what I could get for it.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
I'd keep all 3.
Sounds like you have a nice set up.
Fit for short trips and economy.
CRV for all purpose.
And Tacoma for hauling, off-road, long trips.

Plus if your wife is most comfortable with the CRV?
And it kind of sounds like you need a vehicle for separate driving demands?

Total speculation...no way I can know. But ideally, if budget wasn't a factor, I'd keep all 3.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Having a 3rd vehicle is a nice convenience, but may not be necessary. Think of the money you can recoup, not just from sale price but insurance, taxes and registration etc.

Of course if the wife won't be happy with whatever car she'll end up driving, then you have to ask yourself if it's worth having an unhappy person next to you while you're sleeping.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Gotta keep the missus happy. How does she feel about selling the CR-V, and what would she be driving if it got sold? Your Fit? Then you'd be down to two vehicles, and as long as she's happy with the Fit, no problemo.

I'm not sure why the Taco is better for long trips unless you're hauling either a (heavy) trailer or more cargo than the CR-V can hold. If neither of those apply, I'd think the CR-V would be more comfortable and get better MPG than the Taco. But you might have a different reason to prefer the Taco for long rips.
I think I'm going to keep the CR-V, after thinking about it. Although my wife enjoys driving the fit, she is happier in the CR-V. Since I have a big dog, The "Taco" is the better vehicle for longer trips. Additionally, I usually haul more cargo than the CR-V can hold. If I do not take the dog, then the CR-V is usually the shorter-trip car.

Last edited by NateFitDog; 12-18-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:56 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fitchet
I'd keep all 3.
Sounds like you have a nice set up.
Fit for short trips and economy.
CRV for all purpose.
And Tacoma for hauling, off-road, long trips.

Plus if your wife is most comfortable with the CRV?
And it kind of sounds like you need a vehicle for separate driving demands?

Total speculation...no way I can know. But ideally, if budget wasn't a factor, I'd keep all 3.
I think I will! Thanks!

Old 12-18-2017, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Years, mileage, and condition of each?

Old 12-18-2017, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NateFitDog
I think I'm going to keep the CR-V, after thinking about it. Although my wife enjoys driving the fit, she is happier in the CR-V. Since I have a big dog, The "Taco" is the better vehicle for longer trips. Additionally, I usually haul more cargo than the CR-V can hold. If I do not take the dog, then the CR-V is usually the shorter-trip car.
k, now im suddenly hungry for some mexican food.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lane03
Years, mileage, and condition of each?
2015 Honda Fit; Great Condition; Mileage: Roughly 28,000
2013 Honda CR-V; Good Condition; Mileage: Roughly 52, 000
2013 Toyota Tacoma; Great Condition; Mileage: Roughly 66, 000

Old 12-19-2017, 03:10 AM
Why not trade the Fit and the CR-V for a new CR-V?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
then he will have no car.. lol

Old 12-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Actually Kiwi has a point. Sell the Fit and CR-V, but I'd suggest the last gen CR-V (the one after yours NateFitDog). I've driven my dad's 15 EX and I do like it. Plenty of (normally aspirated) power and great brakes. I've done some similar upgrades (compared to my Fit) to his CR-V.

One nice thing is that you can drive it normally and keep it in the green in econ mode and get better than rated fuel mileage. Our Fits are hard to drive from a standstill and keep in the green. At least not without holding up a lot of traffic.