3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Fit needs better cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit needs better cup holders

I realize that cup holders aren't a lot of people's top priority, but they're one of those things that you didn't realize you missed. I used to drive an '07 Civic Coupe and the cup holders, front and rear, were in the perfect spot.

The cup holder in my '16 Fit that's right by the door is great, but every other cup holder seems like an afterthought. The ones in front of the shifter are okay until you need to hold a large cup. They truly belong behind the shifter. The "bottle holders" in the doors are sorry ersatz cup holders. The only thing you can fit in them are 16 oz bottles. Not cups, not nalgenes, not even travel mugs.

Since the rear seats desperately need cupholders, has anyone figured out a solution that doesn't involved those crappy ones from Autozone? I don't mind drilling into the back of the center console if that's what it takes. Surely with the advent of 3D printers, something can be done.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe you could create one right in front of the steering wheel? Sorry, cup holders are obviously not on my list of needs. Yes, the one by the door is nice, expandable and gets AC to cooling too.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
I will admit that the 2nd gen Fit was much better that the 3rd gen in that one aspect. I still like the GK better.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:37 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I will admit that the 2nd gen Fit was much better that the 3rd gen in that one aspect. I still like the GK better.
there are many areas GE's were much better than the GK's. like most importantly QUALITY..
not that id go back to an AT GE over a CVT GK for my wife. i hated that AT..

Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I've brought this up before but no one takes me seriously.
If you get in the Fit with your hands full you are screwed. Anything you set down that can spill, will. I have a plastic paint roller tray that I use on the front passenger seat but it isn't flat on the bottom.
I'm hoping some creative genius comes along with a good fix.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503
I've brought this up before but no one takes me seriously.
If you get in the Fit with your hands full you are screwed. Anything you set down that can spill, will. I have a plastic paint roller tray that I use on the front passenger seat but it isn't flat on the bottom.
I'm hoping some creative genius comes along with a good fix.
Cupholders are seen as a frivolous luxury, and when you bring it up, you are often met with cries of "first world problems" or "just concentrate on driving." God forbid my passengers have a place to put their drinks so they don't spill.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
What kind of cups don't work in the cupholders? The obvious solution is to use a bottle.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
What kind of cups don't work in the cupholders? The obvious solution is to use a bottle.
Nalgenes are out. My vacuum insulated mug and my wife's metal water bottle are both too tall. Large fast food cups fit up front but require maneuvering to remove. 16oz water bottles fit but we rarely drink bottled water.

The cup holders are obviously made for tiny Japanese beverages.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
I've never seen a single car cup holder designed to hold something that huge.

The cupholders are obviously just not made for the excesses of American lifestyles.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Anything much larger than a 12 oz can needs to be tilted in order to fit into the console cup holders. Very poor design.

Last edited by max503; 02-19-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you all need to drink more water lol

I use a 16 ounce Contigo coffee cup and it works in front of the shifter. You do have to tilt to get in, but nothing outrageous.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
I just don't see the issue and maybe it's because I have a MT? Haven't had any real issue putting 16oz soft drink in the center counsel cup holders. If I have the 68oz mega drink from the local fast food place, I use the cup holder by the steering wheel. If I have a liter of water and it doesn't fit the cup holders I just throw it down by the E brake. If it leaks, it's just water.

In regard to the back seats. I use my Fit for a daily commuter. One time in 44K miles have I had a rear passenger besides my dogs. I have other larger vehicles in my household that are better suited for rear passengers. If I have to transport them I'll use a different vehicle. If I only could afford one vehicle, then I probably would have bought a Civic Hatch instead of the Fit. Millage is almost as good, bigger car better suited for rear or multiple passengers and you can still cary stuff in it.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
We had two different cars with those pop-out cup holders for back seat passengers. Neither lasted more than a few years. I replaced one and it got knocked out again. I gave up.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Question 7-11 Big Gulp Refill Mug.

Mine fits right in the left side cup holder. For those that need a bigger cup holder, How thirsty are you?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chitown Fit
Mine fits right in the left side cup holder. For those that need a bigger cup holder, How thirsty are you?
At my age, I can’t drink those Big Gulps anymore. I’d be stopping to pee every 20 miles.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Some topics are obviously more fluid than others.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
My Hydro Flask 32 oz. don't fit in any cupholder, I just drop it on by the parking brake lever.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
I'm also disappointed with the cup holders. None of the holders will accommodate a 2-liter soda bottle. Even a 40-oz malt liquor won't fit, or a regular wine bottle. And don't even get me started about the gallon milk jug! Fumbling around to find a place to put my drink makes it difficult for me to send text messages.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
The funny thing, is I think I disagree with the first statement.
Cup Holders aren't a lot of peoples top priority.

I've hung around automotive sites, and talked to people enough that I think it's actually pretty amazing how big a priority something like cup holders and floor mats can be.

I've heard and read about really big auto purchases hinging on which dealership offered "free" floormats, or which vehicle had more cup holders.
So I think automakers and dealerships need to get on the ball. These things ARE big deals.

Having said all that?
Cup Holders aren't a big deal to me. I drive a lot by myself, so I just keep one of those plastic drink holding "consoles" you can buy at any Wally World in the passenger seat, move it if I have a passenger, and it gives me two fully adjustable cup holders, and works great.
I also like the one cup holder on the drivers side near the door, underneath the vent.
So...I'm OK with the cup holder situation.

I would say, I think storage space as a whole was much better with my 2010 Honda Fit.
I miss the hidden compartment underneath the back seat. Which wasn't much, but held the owners manual perfectly.
I miss the dual glove compartments.
And that Fit seemed to have cubby holes and cup holder everywhere.

The 2016 isn't as versatile in this regard.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Cup Holders aren't a big deal to me. I drive a lot by myself, so I just keep one of those plastic drink holding "consoles" you can buy at any Wally World in the passenger seat, move it if I have a passenger, and it gives me two fully adjustable cup holders, and works great.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I need to take a trip to WM.

Quick Reply: The Fit needs better cup holders