3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cross shopping a 2018 Fiesta ST

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Cross shopping a 2018 Fiesta ST

Anybody here also own a FiSt. Contemplating on getting one. Have a drive test appointment for tomorrow. It's like an itch that won't go away

Old 05-28-2018, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
I have driven one, it is waaaaaay faster than the Fit for sure and its a lot of fun to drive. Thats said, the interior feels horribly cheap and the Fiesta is one of the least reliable cars on the road.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
also remember that ford is ditching these cars in the usa.. parts availability could be a concern if u plan on keeping the car longer than a couple of yrs.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jetydosa
I have driven one, it is waaaaaay faster than the Fit for sure and its a lot of fun to drive. Thats said, the interior feels horribly cheap and the Fiesta is one of the least reliable cars on the road.
Too bad we can't get the best of both worlds.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 PM
I spoke to one of their sales staff, they will continue to sell their performance vehicle including the Fiesta ST.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oiric2006@gmail.com
I spoke to one of their sales staff, they will continue to sell their performance vehicle including the Fiesta ST.
The Focus, yes - the Fiesta, no.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
None of that is true.

The Fiesta and Focus ST are not long for the American market. Car salespeople generally know less than an informed consumer.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:47 AM
Ford Sales staff did say they will sell the Fiesta ST until 2019, that part I forgot to mention.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds about right. But yeah, there will be no next generation Focus/Fiesta.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
Just be sure to avoid the powersh(f)it, transmission (automatic). I've heard there are so many problems with it that owners are considering a class action lawsuit. The problem is not model specific either. Apparently ford will keep trying to update the ECU but will not replace the transmission outright.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
Just be sure to avoid the powersh(f)it, transmission (automatic). I've heard there are so many problems with it that owners are considering a class action lawsuit. The problem is not model specific either. Apparently ford will keep trying to update the ECU but will not replace the transmission outright.
The ST was not available with the powershift transmission.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
The ST was not available with the powershift transmission.
I think that was the point...hence the ST isn't unreliable.

The Focus was a runner-up when I got my Fit, but it would have had to be a manual.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:59 PM
A friend of mine has a Fiesta ST and it's pretty awesome.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Both the FiST and FoST are good cars. I know people with both and they hold up to some pretty amazing stuff. Even bigger turbo's, meth injection, etc and they survive. Stout drivetrains!

I agree that the interior's leave a little to be desired. I'm especially not a fan of the Recaro's.

Both also get an undeserved bad reputation due to the non-ST cars. The non-ST cars have the poor interiors AND poor drivelines.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
My 1litre I3 ecoboost is still going strong in my parent's hands for the last few years.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
My 1litre I3 ecoboost is still going strong in my parent's hands for the last few years.
The fact those survive and work well is amazing! All ecoboosts are pretty stout. My 3.5EB has over 55k miles of increased boost and timing and I drive it HARD! Also still going strong.

I think what really dealt Ford a blow was the horrible automatics in the Focus.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Completely different cars:
Practical, spacious, reliable: Fit
Performance: ST
Neither compares well with the other in those categories. So your choice is easy .. assuming you can decide what is important to you
Enjoy!

Old 06-02-2018, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oiric2006@gmail.com
You mean a salesperson said there was no problem in buying one?
What a surprise. (sarcasm)

Really who knows?
But from what I have read Ford IS planning to stop sales in North America of nearly all their non-truck, non-suv offerings...outside of Mustangs.

Whether this actually comes to pass?

Also, small hatch-backs are still sold in mass in Europe and Asia, where often smaller streets nearly necessitate their existence.
I think parts availability will not be an issue.

If Ford really does stop selling Fiesta in North America and the USA? My biggest concern would be dealership service departments becoming less and less familiar with the product.

Do some reading up. Just google the terms. Come to your own conclusion. Even if Ford stops selling Fiesta in the USA, it still may be a OK purchase.

But I wouldn't necessarily believe a salesperson, who say....well nearly anything.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:13 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
meh, those sale people dont give a shit wat u buy as long as u buy it from them.
they dont last dat long themselves anyway. turnover rate is so bad that ive only had one dealer where i came back 4-5yrs after my first purchase and the guy was still there.

this is why people say bad things about car sales people.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:15 PM
My first real car was a 1991 Civic Si.
It is amazing how much my 2016 6MT Fit reminds me of that.
I consider Fit to be a throwback to the good old days when Hondas were simple, small, light, fun and affordable. There's nothing like it out there, bar none.
I have been trying to make up my mind on the Fiesta since 2014, when I drove one of the first ones to land on canadian soil.
Last time I drove one was 2 weeks ago.
I liked it every single time i got to throw it around, but did not love it.
I do not think it is particularly fast - forced induction sure gives that impression and the torque is abundant, but nothing can replace a high revving NA motor like the one n the FIT when it comes to fun factor. Just keep it above 4K rpm at all times and you're golden.
Suspension on the FiST is stiff but I believe the magic everyone raves about is simply in the springs.
Not only is the ride terrible - car feels like it spends 90% of time on its bumpstops - there is nothing fancy about that suspension and my belief is that if you took away those springs Fiesta would no longer be "oh so amazing"
Ride quality of the Fit and the way it handles is pretty incredible imo, I cannot wait to throw some light wheels, stiffer springs and a rear swaybar on mine - I bet you it will feel better that ST, actually I have no doubt about it.
This car does 0-60 in 8 seconds flat (at least mine does) FiST manages 7ish... is it really such a big difference to call it " quick" while Fit is regarded as "slow"?
I am not so sure about that.
Fit does exactly same numbers my 1991 Si did and I feel like I'm on vacation every time I take it for a drive.
This car weighs only 2580 pounds - 120 more that a MX-5 RF and is so incredibly light on its feet. FiST weighs in at 2742lb and it feels cramped and basic by comparison.
I think there has been always so much hype going on around FiST nobody dares to point out its shortcommings, and there are to many for my taste.
Kris

Quick Reply: Cross shopping a 2018 Fiesta ST