3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Push Button Start Blank

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 06:43 AM
Push Button Start Blank

This might be a long shot ...

Does anyone know what exactly is behind the panel of the NON Push Button Start blank?

I'm attempting to add some sort of magnetic or RAM phone mount right where the blank is since I dont have Push Button Start and wanted to add the mount via self tapping screws. Hopefully someone knows so it can save me from pulling a bunch of panels off.

*The included pic shows the round blank where the Push Button Start would normally go.

Attached Thumbnails Push Button Start Blank-new-2018-honda-fit-sportmanual-8456-17389120-25-640.jpg  
Old 07-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
i don't think there's anything there. if u search ff there are a few people who have modded it from gauges to usb plugs to volt meters.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
There is nothing there, it's just a plug with space behind it. Why do I know? I installed an aftermarket head unit and instead of routing the USB cables through the glove box, I removed the plug and routed through there from the back of the unit, so that devices running the head unit can sit on the console underneath instead of the glove box.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that's a good way to use that space. hondas stupid for not giving a push button start on the sports. so cheap. its like come on!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Some days, I kind of miss the old turn key ignitions.
We were a heartier people then. When we could hoist those "ounces" heavy keys and twist our wrists.
Now?
We just sit our butts down and push a button.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by ieandro
This might be a long shot ...

Does anyone know what exactly is behind the panel of the NON Push Button Start blank?

I'm attempting to add some sort of magnetic or RAM phone mount right where the blank is since I dont have Push Button Start and wanted to add the mount via self tapping screws. Hopefully someone knows so it can save me from pulling a bunch of panels off.

*The included pic shows the round blank where the Push Button Start would normally go.
I did just that, exactly:

Attached Thumbnails Push Button Start Blank-imag0309.jpg  
Old 07-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Not me. One of the reasons why I got the Fit Sport was the 6 speed and no push start. Modern, yet old school.

Thanks for the replies guys. Is his a simple matter of prying off the button panel?

Old 07-04-2018, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yep. Just edge it out with a small flat blade screwdriver or the tip of a knife.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Hidden dangers of push button start:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...h-button-start

Old 07-04-2018, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
id use an interior tool or even a guitar pick to prevent any chance of getting scuffs from the tool..

Old 07-04-2018, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Hidden dangers of push button start:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...h-button-start
I’ll admit to not understanding the point of that article at all. Why would one be more prone to forgetting to turn off the engine with a button than with a key?

Old 07-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Granted I have done this once before in a 2010 Maxima, but I've seen the newer push button tech shut the engine down after leaving the proximity of the drivers seat.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary

I’ll admit to not understanding the point of that article at all. Why would one be more prone to forgetting to turn off the engine with a button than with a key?

I guess because chances are you'll need your keys to get into your house/apartment. If you've forgotten them in your car you'll come back to get them. Also, when you lock your car, remotely or manually, you'll again need your keys. You'll be reminded in so many ways to take the keys of the ignition.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
so in conclusion, honda thinks fit sport drivers are all stupid and need reminders.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof

I guess because chances are you'll need your keys to get into your house/apartment. If you've forgotten them in your car you'll come back to get them. Also, when you lock your car, remotely or manually, you'll again need your keys. You'll be reminded in so many ways to take the keys of the ignition.
There was a time when that might have been true, but when car keys morphed into “fobs” with remote door locks they became too bulky to carry on the house key ring. So, for me, that ship sailed when I bought my first car with power door locks many years ago.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary

It's a lot more possible if you are driving a push button start, Hybrid, where the vehicle can be "On" but the engine temporarily not running.

Some stories of tragedies happening because people have walked away thinking their vehicles were off when they were not.

Yes, I would say if you get out of your Honda Fit and don't notice the engine is running? That's pretty unobservant.
But I have owned a push button start/stop hybrid, and if the engine is warmed up, and the battery power strong enough, the vehicle will temporarily turn the engine off, but the whole system is actually "on".
Especially maybe for older people, or anyone in a hurry, I would say it's possible to jump out of the vehicle and NOT notice you haven't really turned it off.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
the car beeps when u step out with ur fob while engine is running, no?

if one cant hear dat or ignore it, dey shouldnt be driving a car all together cause their head is somewhere else. too distracted.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
there is a feature that turns off the car if the key leaves the proximity sensor for smart key fits.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
my GK must be pretty stupid cause it doesnt shut off when i walk out to push the garage door opener on the wall waaay outside the proximity of the GK.. hummm..

Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
that's a good way to use that space. hondas stupid for not giving a push button start on the sports. so cheap. its like come on!
Sorry, I like the reliability of twisting the key to start, and to initiate the electronics in position 1. I am glad that the LX didn't come with the push start button.

Last edited by wasserball; 07-08-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Push Button Start Blank