3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Water LEAKS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by ieandro
Just got it back today. It spent a week at their body shop because they actually removed the entire carpet so it can dry.
The issue was the opaque plastic barrier failed to seal properly to the door frame. The solution was from them to reseal and add more of that butyl rubber sealant to better seal the plastic barrier. They also used the same butyl type rubber for the remaining open holes.
Washed the car when getting home and even let the hose run over the windows for a few minutes.... so far, no water accumulation on the door sills so it looks like the fix is holding.

I didn't think it could have been the plastic barrier, but the rain residue just showed how much was collecting. I firmly believe it is a design flaw from Honda. The curvature of the inner door structure and the size of the hole could easily had been better redesigned. Along with some QC issues. It was bound to happen.
They didn't seal the drain holes, did they?

For the front doors, water could be entering from the outer window seal or the rubber seal for the electrical where the door hinges.

When I did my speaker swaps, even after a rain storm, I maybe saw a few drops of water within the door itself and this is for all 4 doors. I used foam speaker baffles and they were barely wet. So for me all the OEM seals seem to be good.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ieandro
I firmly believe it is a design flaw from Honda. The curvature of the inner door structure and the size of the hole could easily had been better redesigned. Along with some QC issues. It was bound to happen.
They're probably not going to do anything much about it now other than to route the problems to the Mexico factory QC people if they think it's workmanship related. If it's design related it'll get passed on to the team working on the next major redesign which is maybe a couple years away (?). How much attention this gets depends of course on how much this is costing them under warranty.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:48 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. The fact that it's being acknowledged is a step in the right direction.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:24 PM
My '18 Sport is going in soon for the same issue. We all know why this happens, so it'll be interesting to see what they do. I've found that parking on perfectly level ground during a rain storm will greatly decrease my chances of getting water inside. Park with the passenger side lower and I get water in the drivers side. You get the idea. Anyway, if they leak test on a perfectly flat surface, they won't get a real world view of what is happening.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:46 PM
I thought the same thing. I live in a city so street parking is never flat for th sole reason of sewer drainage, but it also occurred when I was parked on a fairly flat gravel lot.

Good luck with yours.

It rained the other day after their fix and i found the sills dry so it seems to be holding up.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Leaks is life

I was missing seals in my trunk area was leaking like a rainstorm I have plenty a video of it due to missing seals in my trunk area

then I noticed I was leaking from my back left driver side passenger due to my doors been not installed correctly so they fix that and the seals on my trunk

then it leaked again on my passenger driver side they replaced some other seals take about a week and a half for them to figure it out then it stopped for about two months and started leaking again they replaced it again

Called Honda Corp. sue them for 10,000

And my car still leaks if you wanna know where it’s leaking from on the back seat area it’s leaking from the window trim where the window rolls down there’s no way to fix it it just keeps fucking leaking sorry for the bad language

Other issues with my car I had my transmission replaced twice MT

And a third time had it replaced due to a speed sensor breaking inside for some how

But I still love my lemon car and I’m going to K swap or the new 1.5 T

got any qestions feel free to call or text me 562 271 8125
I can show you a video of how it leaks and where

Last edited by Wafulz; 03-30-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Add some stuff
Old 04-01-2019, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
my passenger side leak is back , had it fixed for a few months , now it's back , same spot . have to open the door up again . this is obviously flawed design

Old 04-03-2019, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
well , i fixed it again , a different spot , not out from under the speaker like last time . the problem is the gunk they use to seal the clear plastic
vapor barrier . it's not strong enough , stays too soft and water does collect along parts of the bottom edge . not a great design

Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
the picture shows how big the access holes in the door are .what it doesn't show very clearly is that the inner edge of the holes are beveled inward ,
probably for strength , but it also makes for a very good water catch . depending on how hard it is raining a certain amount of water will collect between the
plastic and the door and just sit there .the only thing keeping it from leaking out and collecting along the bottom ( and then into the car ) of the plastic
door panel is the strength of the black caulking holding the plastic on .so it seems like parts of the inner door will actually be wet for long periods of
time . standing water is destructive over time . an amazingly bad design . some kind shower type curtain is needed along the whole length of the opening
to baffle the water past the access holes .even though only one of my doors has had a leak , most likely all the doors have spots of trapped water sitting
on top of the caulking . like i said , over time , this can't be good

Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
This stinks. From what you are saying all GE8s retain water in the doors to some extent? That isn't good. I think it it were my car it would drive me crazy unless I believed it was a very small amount, if small I'd keep an eye on the door bottoms and plan to cut my loss if it started showing rust.

Of course I have a del sol with a rusting rear quarter and I have no intention to ever sell that. But that is different 😊

Old 04-19-2019, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
yea , i believe all the doors are probably retaining some water depending on how heavy the rain . even if it's just a small amount , it can't be good .
i have a fix that won't be too complicated and it can be done without totally removing the plastic vapor barrier ( just lifting up the bottom half to get
in there ) it's a matter of setting up a baffle along the bottom of the big access openings , like a shower curtain . it's a pain to have to do this but , it's
just a one time fix and i'll have some peace of mind . i plan to have the car for a while

Old 04-26-2019, 01:47 AM
After doing round 2 of sound deadening, I noticed that some of the plastic clips (like the ones that hold down the rear trunk carpet and the lower side doorway trim) actually lead out into the open air. I do have my main undertray removed so that is why I was able to see light through these openings.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
2015 EX
Driver side floor wet when it rains.
Dealer charged me 900$ to replace sunroof and seal. According to dealer seal and sunroof is one piece so I have to buy the whole damn thing.
Will see if this works and keep you guys posted.
Bummed out not covered by warranty.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
I am experiencing same problem as the photos attached by OP.
2015 EX

Driver side floor wet when it rains.

Dealer charged me 900$ to replace sunroof and seal. According to dealer seal and sunroof is one piece so I have to buy the whole damn thing.

Will see if this works and keep you guys posted.

Bummed out not covered by warranty.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
are you joking? not under warranty? or is it because yours is a 2015

Old 05-02-2019, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by monkeydave
are you joking? not under warranty? or is it because yours is a 2015
Seeing as the “bumper to bumper” warranty is only 3 years/36,000 miles, EVERY ‘15 Fit is “out of warranty.”

Old 05-02-2019, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
I would have checked a few things before authorizing a costly sunroof replacement. Did you check to see if the drains in the sunroof were working? Another thin to check is behind the door panel to see if maybe the plastic sheeting has a gap between it and the black goo?

Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Tried almost all the solutions advised here and on you tube nothing worked.
I just cannot believe this is not under-warranty (Honda Care) since original warranty is expired.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:32 PM
The trim pieces on the lower sills are held in by plastic plugs. Behind those plugs leads to the outside of the vehicle. You would not be able to see any light b/c of the large lower plastic undertray. This may be a possible entry point for water.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Its been discussed before and a recurring problem of a few member, including myself. Search for a thread called Water LEAKS.

Mine leaked through the plastic vapor barrier and dripped around the speakers and into the interior in all four doors and was repaired under warranty. Required more black sealant for the barrier. Dealer said it was a design flaw. Fix is holding.

Quick Reply: Water LEAKS