3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Eco Light in the 2018 Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 PM
Eco Light in the 2018 Manuals

I've started to notice the Eco light on both sides of the speedometer have been flashing Green & Blue in rapid succession (almost like blinking in an alternate fashion) when going from first gear then gradually switching to blue as you increase acceleration. In the video you see it right in the beginning.
It doesn't do this on any other gear after that. Just a smooth transition from the colors. Only from first gear does this blinking-like action occur.

Just want to make sure there isnt anything i should be worried about. Is this normal operation? Sometimes I drive like a Grandma and my Fit responds with a little engine bog since it normally likes to rev on the high side.

Last edited by ieandro; 08-14-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Looks like a normal response to your driving style IMO.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
Looks like a normal response to your driving style IMO.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 AM
There are times I try to live life one quarter mile at a time, but just sometimes.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
looks normal. if you care about mpg's, try to keep that light green. if not ....... romp away!

Old 08-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by ieandro
I've started to notice the Eco light on both sides of the speedometer have been flashing Green & Blue in rapid succession (almost like blinking in an alternate fashion) when going from first gear then gradually switching to blue as you increase acceleration. In the video you see it right in the beginning.
It doesn't do this on any other gear after that. Just a smooth transition from the colors. Only from first gear does this blinking-like action occur.

Just want to make sure there isnt anything i should be worried about. Is this normal operation? Sometimes I drive like a Grandma and my Fit responds with a little engine bog since it normally likes to rev on the high side.

https://youtu.be/zTVqsAfKQW8
your car is alive and it breathes. It's telling you it wants to play.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I wasn't sure what was normal. It just seemed odd that it would be flashing like that from the go. I thought that I might be bogging it down so it couldn't tell if it was going or stalling.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Try 5th gear on the hwy at 60mph instead of 6th. It will stay solid blue even if your real-time fuel economy reported is in the 40+mpg.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
Try 5th gear on the hwy at 60mph instead of 6th. It will stay solid blue even if your real-time fuel economy reported is in the 40+mpg.
Yup. The “eco” light is set to encourage you to drive in the highest possible gear at all times.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:14 PM
I might have confused some people about the issue I was describing....

I understand the purpose of the eco light going from green to blue or blue to green depending on fuel consumption. I've seen the color change on every gear after 1st gear change in a gradual motion .. Fading from green to blue and vice versa.
It was only in 1st gear when taking off that I noticed the color rapidly alternate between colors and not in a smooth of gradual change. Almost like it blinked green/blue when accelerating in 1st.
You can in the first few seconda of the video, the blinking action I'm trying to describe. I just didn't think it was normal to do that. I thought it would be a fade like in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Are you getting wheel spin while taking off or possible going over road undulations? Can you find a smooth parking lot and test it out?

Old 08-18-2018, 05:36 PM
There is no way rapid blinking between green and blue (instead of a gradual cross-fade) is normal.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:51 PM
No to the wheel spin. I'm not launching it. The blinking action has been constant.
​​​​​​
And yes, it doesn't seem normal to me. I don't feel like theres anything wrong with the car other than the lack of power. Every review says the car likes to be high strung, but for daily driving thats not feasible all the time. Low rpms seem to bog it more and that's why I think the eco light acts in that blinking manner - the low power / low rpm acceleration makes the engine struggle.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed that in my 2018 sport. I think it's fine. I've only had the car a couple of months.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by hoangy
I noticed that in my 2018 sport. I think it's fine. I've only had the car a couple of months.
I knew I wasnt going nuts. Thank you!

Any other GK manual owners wanna chime in? Is this a normal function?!

Old 08-20-2018, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
It's not really like rapid blinking, it's more like pulsating. But after 1st gear it's the standard green/blue

Old 08-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by hoangy
It's not really like rapid blinking, it's more like pulsating. But after 1st gear it's the standard green/blue
That description is wayyy better than how I tried to describe it. It definitely pulsating. Still looks off though.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Okay, so I actually looked at this more closely for the first time and I have seen something similar.
Very blue at dead stop, turns green at take-off than rapidly turns blue again and green when I ease of the throttle.
It's not rapidly blinking, looks like for a couple of seconds it only displays all blue or all green, without the intermediate "teal" when both green and blue leds are lit.
It almost looks like the system is calibrating itself to throttle input...
The main difference compared to your video is that my pants are not nearly as noisy when I'm shifting

Last edited by vinylengraver; 08-20-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinylengraver
It almost looks like the system is calibrating itself to throttle input...
Throttle input is a major factor in controlling the colors.

Keep studying.....

Old 08-21-2018, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
All this talk brings back memories, not necessarily good ones, of my new-in-1985 Dodge Colt "E" (economy) with 5-sp manual, natch.

Why? Even though I had the economy model - didn't even come with any radio standard, just a hole in the dash for one - those wiley Mitsubishi engineers (the Colt was a rebadged Mirage) somehow saw fit to include an "upshift" light. Yes, you actually had a dash light tell you when to shift your stick into the next highest gear, in case you didn't know when to otherwise.

The first upshift light would come around 1000-1500 rpm if memory serves. A 1.5L four-banger in the Colt gets all its power in the midband - not the low rpms - so the car was asking you to upshift insanely early, long before any real thrust was coming out of that Mitsu engine. Can't remember if I put a piece of tape over the dash idiot light or just lived with it and shifted whenever I damned well pleased. I think it was the latter.

Last edited by bargainguy; 08-21-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Eco Light in the 2018 Manuals