3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cheapo Seat covers, floor mats, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Cheapo Seat covers, floor mats, etc.

Hello Fit Freaks,

I'm in my new car owner phase where I am obsessed with keeping the car clean. Does anyone have any suggestions for adequate floor mats, seat covers, and cargo liners? The custom Honda accessories look great, but I just bought a Honda, not a Land Rover, so I am not prepared to spend a huge amount on these. A perfect custom fit and aesthetics are not essential to me.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thenewenglander
Hello Fit Freaks,

I'm in my new car owner phase where I am obsessed with keeping the car clean. Does anyone have any suggestions for adequate floor mats, seat covers, and cargo liners? The custom Honda accessories look great, but I just bought a Honda, not a Land Rover, so I am not prepared to spend a huge amount on these. A perfect custom fit and aesthetics are not essential to me.
For floormats, I use husky for the front and rear. I like them over the weathertech since they have full coverage of the "dead pedal"

I currently don't have any seat covers.

For the cargo liner, I bought a cheapo knockoff from china for about $16. Not the greatest, but you get what you pay.

I also have the rear seat protectors, those are Honda and are quite nice.

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 09-14-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
If these are your priorities?

" I am not prepared to spend a huge amount on these. A perfect custom fit and aesthetics are not essential to me. "

Then Amazon and the internet is your friend.
But you'll be looking at generic "Universal Fit" type of products.
Universal Fit, mass produced items are generally a lot cheaper than anything made OEM...or made to be custom fit.

And I think with things like cargo area mats, and even seat covers, that's all up to the individual.

My only advice is with floor mats? I actually think it can be a safety issue. You do hear about occasional problems, accidents and tragedies, with ill fitting mats being blamed. So I might suggest especially for the drivers side or front mats, seeking out custom fit mats.

You will pay more...maybe comparatively a lot. But with products like Weathertech and Husky and even Honda's OEM offerings, you'll get good/great protection and the added safety of a good custom fit. I personally think it's worth it.

For everything else? It's kind of up to you. You can browse Amazon, E-Bay, the internet, or just take a trip to your local Home Depot type store.
Some people have fabricated some pretty great things themselves. Don't know how up for a "crafts" project you may or may not be.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Agree on both above for the floor mats. I've had Honda OEM all weather, Husky, and WeatherTech. OEM's aren't great, but fit and are the cheapest I'd use for both safety and coverage reasons.

For a different car we own, I picked up a set of neoprene universal fit seat covers from Costco. Believe it or not, they aren't bad at all. Holding up well with about 30k miles so far and they were around $20 for the front set.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas. And thank you for not instantly chastising the new guy for asking something that has probably been addressed on the forum before.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 PM
I dunno about “cheapo” but.....

my fit came with no floor mats. I went to the local dealer and asked for the carpeted mats, “sure, that’s $261” I left with no mats. found the part number, went on amazon, and the Factory set of Honda mats was $125 and to my door in 2 days.

I do most my driving with the rear rear seats folded down, I’ll be going to my upholstery shop and having them make a carpet that will cover the whole back area. It won’t be cheap, but it’ll be tailored to the car and I will likely make it fit to the headrest bars so it doesn’t move around much.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:21 PM
My cheapo trunk organization solution: I bought two 1'x1'x1' collapsible fabric storage cubes for $2.99 each at a discount store. I can get some more if I need to.

My idea for a cheapo combo trunk mat/rear seat protector: Custom cut cheap carpet the size of the cargo area when seats are down. Secure it to the back of the rear seats to move as the seats are put up and down. Cut it between the 60/40 seat split so the two pieces can still move independently.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Progress update:

My cheapo trunk organization solution: I bought two 1'x1'x1' collapsible fabric storage cubes for $2.99 each at a discount store. I can get some more if I need to.

My idea for a cheapo combo trunk mat/rear seat protector inspired by Villageidiot: Custom cut cheap carpet the size of the max cargo area with seats down. Secure it to the back of the rear seats to move as the seats are put up and down. Cut it between the 60/40 seat split so the two pieces can still move independently.

My temporary cheapo floor mat solution: $10 Wal-Mart universal fit mats that don't fit well at all.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:20 AM

lol

Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Cargo area protection: I figure that if I am not going to immediately spend a lot of money or proceed with a DIY project, I will need some protection when I transport a lawnmower or a wet bicycle. I now have a 5' x 7' tarp folded up and stowed away in the trunk. $2.39 at a discount store.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Stay away from WeatherTech. My experience with them was very disappointing. Bad fit and never looked clean. The appearance I could tolerate but the fit? No way. That's what you pay such a high price for.
The replacements were the same. I tossed them after the 1st winter.

Last edited by FIT-to-be-tied; 10-15-2018 at 06:46 PM.