Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit vs Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Fit vs Civic

After driving the 2019 Civic for just a bit, I can make some observations about how it compares to the Fit.

It feels larger and heavier. It rides smoother and quieter. I don’t find the seats quite as comfortable, but that’s just me. Rather than having a needle, the speedometer shows a big number - 35, 56, 62 - whatever the speed. I prefer a needle.

Heating/AC - The Civic has what I didn’t like about our Nissan Cube: electronic controls. If I want to adjust the heat in the Fit, I don’t have to take my eyes off the road. I can reach over and easily adjust the heat, fan, or function. With the Civic, I have to look over to find a small button. Then I have to continue to look as I repeatedly push the button to get air flowing to the floor, dash, or windshield. It has an “Auto” option for the system, so I guess I could just set it and forget it, but how many people don’t like to adjust the temperature and where the air is going?

I don’t like the steering. I assume it’s electric, like the Fit. The Fit’s steering was always smooth and steady. The Civic’s steering is not. I’ll occasionally feel little inputs that the system itself is making, especially when I’m making a turn. I don’t know if it’s anticipating or just being quirky, but I prefer the Fit. We had two Fits, and one steered much easier than the other.

Like the Fit, the Civic has lots of controls on the steering wheel. Unlike the Fit, there is too much crammed into a small space. The Fit Ex has a much larger display screen, and it also has LaneWatch. This Civic has LaneWatch, which is nice.

The only interior light that turns on when the door is opened is the one in the center, so it’s not very bright in there at night.

The current Fit design is from 2014, and the Civic is from 2017. I’m surprised the new design isn’t as good as the old one.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:58 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Heating/AC - The Civic has what I didn’t like about our Nissan Cube: electronic controls. If I want to adjust the heat in the Fit, I don’t have to take my eyes off the road. I can reach over and easily adjust the heat, fan, or function. With the Civic, I have to look over to find a small button. Then I have to continue to look as I repeatedly push the button to get air flowing to the floor, dash, or windshield. It has an “Auto” option for the system, so I guess I could just set it and forget it, but how many people don’t like to adjust the temperature and where the air is going?
This the main thing that annoys me about the new Civic as well. Especially since my 2015 Si has hard buttons.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah i’d see if you like the Si better if u are in the market for a civic. honestly the civic is a hard sell to me cause it has almost everything i’d want but it doesn’t and they don’t offer factory options to include.

like adaptive LED headlights with MT. that is a must have for someone like me who loves small cars in 2018+. and AWD and others.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:17 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah i’d see if you like the Si better if u are in the market for a civic. honestly the civic is a hard sell to me cause it has almost everything i’d want but it doesn’t and they don’t offer factory options to include.

like adaptive LED headlights with MT. that is a must have for someone like me who loves small cars in 2018+. and AWD and others.
I've owned cars with adaptive headlights and they certainly aren't the be all and end all. As for a AWD, that's expensive to get in a performance car. In Canada a Civic Si is $29,390. A similarly equipped Subaru WRX is $36,695 and a Golf R is $42,495. Nothing can touch the Si for price per level of performance.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
but if u had the choice youd be sporting the awd with adaptive headlights. i would and i am.

if honda offered it i may be as well. i like small MT cars. i don’t care for how cheap they are.. right?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
I absolutely love my adaptive headlights, but I live in the mountains where there are no straight roads and I'm in constant scan for deer on the sides of the road.

In the city, I probably wouldn't find them near as useful.

I'm not sure what it is about the new Civic, but I feel slight claustrophobic when I sit in them. I'm sure it's to achieve a driver centric feel, but I feel a bit cramped. No generation of Fit makes me feel that way.

I'd still pick the Civic any day of the week simply for the 1.5t and quieter interior.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
I am not defending the Fit, I like it very much. Yes, I still prefer knobs for control rather than pushing a button to advance the settings. But, you have to get used to the Civic before you can come to any conclusion which car you prefer. You may like the Civic better if you had bought it and then compare it to the Fit. Score? Fit 0 Civic 0.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm purely a climate control person. No knobs for me! I like to set a temp and forget it.

I've had climate control since '93. No fiddling with knobs or buttons. Set at 68 or whatever and leave it.

Last edited by GAFIT; 12-10-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:59 PM
I considered a civic hatch, but the Fit's seats were much more comfortable for me and I had a LOT more room all around. I'm about 6'4, 34" inseam. The Fit lives up to its name.

Also, I don't think I could fit a chest freezer in the civic hatch. No problem with the Fit.

Also, I love all the chassis rigidity memes on social media.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Agree. The Fit's box shape can not be beat! I dream of a Fit Si, but I don't think it will ever happen. Honda just isn't the same company as they were when they created the CRX Si.

In the meantime, we are now Golf owners. That's the only way I know of to get performance in a hatch at a reasonable price.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
In the city, I probably wouldn't find them near as useful.

I'm not sure what it is about the new Civic, but I feel slight claustrophobic when I sit in them. I'm sure it's to achieve a driver centric feel, but I feel a bit cramped. No generation of Fit makes me feel that way.

I'd still pick the Civic any day of the week simply for the 1.5t and quieter interior.
i find adaptive headlights useful in parking structures at night and driving through wooded areas, etc. i dont live in the stix but i find them useful.
as for the claustrophobic in the civic.. hummm.. i didnt sense that because the glass is big, but the roof line might be a little lower when u get into the car so might give that squashed-down effect? i feel super claustrophic when entering typical japanese houses and apartments... cant breath! :eek: :D haha

Originally Posted by GAFIT
Agree. The Fit's box shape can not be beat! I dream of a Fit Si, but I don't think it will ever happen. Honda just isn't the same company as they were when they created the CRX Si.

In the meantime, we are now Golf owners. That's the only way I know of to get performance in a hatch at a reasonable price.
yah, mang i luv boxy hatchbacks.. :nod: im a guy from the old Honda City days in the 70's. i luv'ed hatches then, still luv boxy hatches now.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
a FIT .... SI .... oh man .... makes my mouth salivate just dreaming it up

Old 12-10-2018, 11:53 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
but if u had the choice youd be sporting the awd with adaptive headlights. i would and i am.

if honda offered it i may be as well. i like small MT cars. i don’t care for how cheap they are.. right?
I do have the choice and while I could afford a WRX, STI or Golf R I don't want/need one. My wife and I like our current 2015 Civic Si and liked our 2018 Fit as daily drivers. They are both inexpensive and reliable. I'll replace my Fit with a 2019 Civic Si coupe and then replace my 2015 Civic Si (which is a lease) with a 2019 Fit Sport again next summer.

I also sold my 2010 MX-5 back in October and am buying a 2019 MX-5 in the Spring. The 2010 was fully prepped for the SCCA's STR autocross class and the 2019 will be as well. I've already purchased coilovers and an exhaust and don't even have the car yet. lol. I also have a 1965 GM pickup project truck that's getting a full pro touring build with a 750 horsepower LS swap.

So I'd much rather have RWD than AWD and I'd rather buy inexpensive, low maintenance daily drivers and spend my money on toys. :)

Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
I do have the choice and while I could afford a WRX, STI or Golf R I don't want/need one. My wife and I like our current 2015 Civic Si and liked our 2018 Fit as daily drivers. They are both inexpensive and reliable. I'll replace my Fit with a 2019 Civic Si coupe and then replace my 2015 Civic Si (which is a lease) with a 2019 Fit Sport again next summer.

I also sold my 2010 MX-5 back in October and am buying a 2019 MX-5 in the Spring. The 2010 was fully prepped for the SCCA's STR autocross class and the 2019 will be as well. I've already purchased coilovers and an exhaust and don't even have the car yet. lol. I also have a 1965 GM pickup project truck that's getting a full pro touring build with a 750 horsepower LS swap.

So I'd much rather have RWD than AWD and I'd rather buy inexpensive, low maintenance daily drivers and spend my money on toys. :)
sounds good to me if that's how you roll. RWD is fun, and AWD of today is nothing like the understeering AWD machines of yesteryear. i just kept having traction issues with my RWD cars due to taking them out early mornings in the summer. if GT-R's came MT, id have one today but unfortunately sports cars are mostly dual clutch AT's.. so in that respect im in the same boat as you buying these affordable cars (since offered in MT) and just mod them to my liking. someday ill probably wear out my left ankle again and get a AT machine.. RS3 or something in that ball park with AWD and fast.. but hopefully not for a while. in my case wat i need to work on is parking space. im limited to 4 cars right now as i can only park 4.. if RWD, id get me a new M2 in MT of course.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:18 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
sounds good to me if that's how you roll. RWD is fun, and AWD of today is nothing like the understeering AWD machines of yesteryear. i just kept having traction issues with my RWD cars due to taking them out early mornings in the summer. if GT-R's came MT, id have one today but unfortunately sports cars are mostly dual clutch AT's.. so in that respect im in the same boat as you buying these affordable cars (since offered in MT) and just mod them to my liking. someday ill probably wear out my left ankle again and get a AT machine.. RS3 or something in that ball park with AWD and fast.. but hopefully not for a while. in my case wat i need to work on is parking space. im limited to 4 cars right now as i can only park 4.. if RWD, id get me a new M2 in MT of course.
My wife, 17 year old son and I all prefer manual as well. All the vehicles I mentioned above are manual transmissions. Even the 65 pickup will be getting a Tremec 6-speed behind the LS.

If I didn't have plans to get the MX-5 I'd seriously consider an M2. I do like them a lot but the MX-5 is the perfect balance lightweight and balance. I only like MX-5's if they are modified though. I thought about a used Lotus Elise or Exige but they are just a bit too hardcore. Maintenance worries me too as they are British.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
sounds good! yah i was in the market for the ND too earlier on. i’m going to look at it again with the hardtop. and yah id lower it and do wheels at minimum if i got one too. :nod: that is a car one can mod and have fun with i thinks.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
I had a 2016 LX civic 6 speed and it had some weird quirks. The stereo would periodically lose power/connection and then I’d have no audio, a/c controls or apple car play. Then out a day later it would reset with an error and then go back to normal. Also the trunk would open randomly.

The manual shifter would sometimes get stuck trying to go into 1st from a dead stop so I’d have to start in 2nd. Like the hill brake button would block it from shifting into 1st.
I loved the 3 stage seat heater but the steering wheel was cheap and uncomfortable. I wish I had a rear wiper because it seemed to always be dirty.

Only other pet peeve is the exhaust was header back and everyone was developing for 1.5L models and nothing much for the 2.0. I just wanted some tone to the quiet smooth ride.

my 2 cents.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
A case for the Civic

Last edited by wasserball; 12-12-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
audi q5? okay .... that list is broken! lol

Old 12-12-2018, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
haha, i noticed that too... and look at so many hondas listed. sounds like BS..! (maybe not, but who knows)

btw who dafaq rated this thread a 1 star? 5 stars from me, silverEX. LOL back to 3 stars.

Quick Reply: Fit vs Civic