Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   Drain bolt and crush washer (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/103074-drain-bolt-crush-washer.html)

StGemma 07-31-2020 06:17 AM

Drain bolt and crush washer

I give up, I cannot figure out the answer: what is the correct drain bolt and crush washer size for when changing the oil on a 2012 Fit Sport, and where to buy these two items at reasonable price? The inner diameter size is supposed to be 14mm, right? I'm not sure what the outer dimension is supposed to be.

Also, why are these crush washers so expensive? :O

Thank you.

sneefy 07-31-2020 10:03 AM

You don't change the bolt unless it's stripped or otherwise damaged.

NWCH 07-31-2020 11:49 AM

Contact your local Honda dealer. They have them in stock.

StGemma 07-31-2020 03:07 PM

Great. Thank you.

Now, instead of making an entirely new thread, just for clarification regarding using the correct transmission fluid for the 2012 Fit Sport, this stuff right here will be OK? (Affiliate link) https://amzn.to/2CayAEK

Thanks. :)

Pyts 07-31-2020 03:30 PM

You can also take the plug to a hardware store to get dimensions, or get a digital caliper to measure bolt thickness n thread pitch (distance between threads), most stuff on this car is a fine thread pitch, 1.25 if memory serves. can order crush washers in bulk for cheap online, just.. m14.
Seems folks complain about diameter on amazon, but if it seals one solid millimeter, then it's sealed, and you know why it's cheaper 😂

Can consider replacing the plug if you wanna switch to a magnetic one. then it's again, m14 x 1.25 magnetic drain plug. match up the threads with the original by holding em together. if they mesh evenly, yer good.
​​​​​​

StGemma 07-31-2020 04:39 PM

Very helpful information!

Do you have any idea what page within the Fit service manual it gives the instructions on how to change the filter and fluid for the automatic transmission? I cannot for the life of me find where it is. I also would like to double-check the drain bolt size for the transmission, because I found a thread where someone was draining their manual transmission fluid, but had an 18mm bolt.

marmaladedad 07-31-2020 04:48 PM

The drain bolt uses a 3/8" (or was it 1/2"?) drive. I use a ratchet wrench without a socket installed. You may need a breaker bar for additional leverage. I believe there is at least one write-up on FF if you search for it. As for filling the AT fluid, I use the dipstick opening with a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong funnel.

beardedGTI 07-31-2020 04:53 PM

The service manual only shows how to change half the ATF. I and others believe this method is better with very little extra work involved and no special tools: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ill-flush.html

StGemma 07-31-2020 04:56 PM

It's 3/8" from what I have discovered.

How long of a funnel are we talking here? Lolz. Will an 18" funnel be long enough?

marmaladedad 07-31-2020 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by StGemma (Post 1449285)
It's 3/8" from what I have discovered.

How long of a funnel are we talking here? Lolz. Will an 18" funnel be long enough?

It is not so much the length, as it is the taper. The dipstick opening is quite narrow. I do not remember the size. You could also possibly get away with a long plastic tube and a funnel.

56chevydan 08-01-2020 01:26 AM

As has been mentioned here in answer to your first question about an oil change, you don't need to replace the drain bolt when changing the oil, but you do need to replace the drain plug aluminum gasket. The best place to get them is at the Honda dealership. They're not that expensive and they are the correct washer. While you're at it get 5 or 6 gaskets at one time for future oil changes. While you're there, buy an aluminum gasket for your automatic transmission drain plug for your trans fluid change- which is mentioned in your second question. You might as well also price the trans fluid while you're there and compare to prices you've already have off the internet. The oem Honda DW-1 is the correct auto trans fluid for all '07-'13 Fits.You're going to need less than 3 quarts of it for the auto trans fluid change, unless you're going to do a couple of quick changes to replace more of the transmission fluid, like in the torque converter, that is not drainable simply by removing the trans drain plug. A search on this forum or on Youtube will explain the benefit and or need for multiple auto trans drains on Fits. You also mentioned a trans fluid filter. You'll find an external auto trans filter under the engine air filter housing by removing the housing.

StGemma 08-01-2020 04:57 PM

Awesome. Thank you all for the information. Extremely helpful!

@beardedGTI Sweet! Thank you for sharing that link. That information should be perfect for a noob like me!

It's funny, because Amazon says that the correct transmission fluid (as far as I know) found here (Amazon affiliate link) is not compatible with my 2012 Fit Sport. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After draining the transmission fluid, what if I raised the left side (passenger side when looking at the vehicle from the front) up a high height for a few hours, so that the fluid in the torque converter can drain out a decent amount too? At least, I think that is where the torque converter is mostly seated? Please correct me if I am wrong, because I am not 100% sure what direction to lift for the transmission fluid in the torque converter to drain out the most would be, if at all possible. Lolz.

Thanks. :]

beardedGTI 08-01-2020 06:30 PM

You’re not going to get any more out via gravity. You need to cycle the pump either by using a trans fluid exchange machine or by doing it the way posted in that link above.

StGemma 08-02-2020 02:50 AM

Oh, alrighty then. Too bad we can't just lift it for extra drainage.

By the way, what is transmission fluid supposed to smell like? I ended up purchasing the 12 pack from G.P.S on Amazon, but read a customer's review and he said the transmission fluid he received from Amazon didn't smell the same from the dealership or shop he physically purchased from.

Maybe I should have just spent an extra $30 and bought a 12 pack from the actual Honda dealership. :X

Also, does anyone know what the outer dimension is for the aluminum crush washer for the transmission bolt is supposed to be, and what the thickness of the washer is? I know the inner is 18mm.

Finally, I honestly have no idea if the transmission fluid has ever been changed in my 2012 Fit. I bought it when it had 37k miles, and now it's about 77k miles. Should I use a flush product or a revitalizant (Amazon affiliate link) ?

beardedGTI 08-02-2020 11:43 AM

AT washer: 18mm ID x 26mm OD x 2mm Thick

Don't use flush or additive or anything other than plain ATF.

Pyts 08-02-2020 02:47 PM

All the info you've gotten thus far is great.
I'd advise against draining on an uneven surface as if you should get an unusual quantity out, will you measure it to match what goes in? Does it have more volume due to temperature? Just thoughts. Even surfaces for me and my manual (which fills via a plug).

As for smell of ATF, it smells freaking awful. It's been said on numerous bottles I've read over the years to store out of sunlight and in a cool place. This sounds crazy dumb cuz it operates in a hot transmission, but maybe it's for longevity of storage. Maybe temps and age could affect aroma, I'm certain we've all experienced this with cooking ingredients 😂
If you're concerned you can hit up blackstone labs for two oil analysis sample kits. Compare the stuff from honda to the online stuff by shipping it to them and awaiting results. Costs between 20 and 30 bucks per sample if memory serves. Personally, I'd say just run what yuh bought.

StGemma 08-03-2020 11:00 PM

@beardedGTI Sweet. Thank you. I purchased the right size! Phewwwww.

@Pyts Ha. If I spent $30-$40 more, I could just buy the oil directly from the Honda dealership and pay the same if I were to buy from the Amazon seller + blackstone labs.

donlogan 08-04-2020 01:04 PM

I have installed a Fumoto drain valve in every car I've had. It's so much more convenient to oil changes. Highly recommend it if you drive a decent amount of miles and do your own oil changes.

Brain Champagne 08-04-2020 09:49 PM

I had a Fumoto valve on my prior Fit, and a similar product on the car before that. I highly recommend them. I didn't bother getting one for my 2016 because, with the extended oil change interval I figured I would own the car for only seven or eight oil changes. And now with covid-19 no work, no dating and no seeing friends, so my next oil change will likely be at 1 year, at 70 or 80% oil life.

steve37 08-05-2020 07:03 AM

I own and drive a pair of classic 911's...one Carrera and one SC. If you are familiar with their dry oil sump system, you know how much of a mess 10 qts of oil gushing out at once can cause. I installed a Fumoto valve on each one and it's the best upgrade I've done in the 20 years that I've owned them.
I don't think I would put one on my Fit because of the location on the drain. The Porsches oil tank is mounted on the inside fender well..making it near impossible to damage from road debris.