3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Possible rear wheel bearing replacement needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Exclamation Possible rear wheel bearing replacement needed?

Hi everyone,

I recently did a wheel rotation, and when I went and test drove it, I could hear a humming sound coming from the back right of the car. I believed it was the rotation, I wanted to confirm it so I un-did the rotation and the issue still existed. You can hear the humming between the following speeds:
32 - 45 mph (approx)
60 - 68 mph (approx)
I did the usual test of driving at 40 mph and veering left and right but nothing changed with the sound. I got the car jacked back up and there was no play in the wheels when I tried wobbling them, but then I span the rear wheels and that is when I noticed that the back right is a bit loud, and the back right has the occasional scrape when spinning. Here is a video of both the left and the right wheels spinning (I am sorry if the audio is not very loud):
Back right:
Back left:

I would like to know the following:
Is it definitely the bearings and not the brakes or something else?
If it is the bearings, where would you recommend buying new ones? I would like quality, but I would like to keep it under OEM cost.
Would both right and left bearings need replacing?
I am familiar with how to replace bearings, fortunately I have never had to replace bearings in the past, but is there a repair sheet available for this so I can find the torque value for the axle nut?
Are there any major differences in replacing the rear bearings in a Fit compared to other cars with rear drum breaks?

Thank you all for your time.

2015 Honda Fit EX
59954 miles

Last edited by Horiz0n; 09-02-2020 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Adding info