3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Windshield Wipers Squeaky

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Windshield Wipers Squeaky

Just had my first rainy day since getting my new Fit 3 weeks ago, so had a chance to use my wipers. I noticed it is squeaking on every wipe. It seems to squeak louder when it's wet, and not as loud when it's dry.

I don't think this is worth my time to bring into the dealer to inspect, and I can't find any dirt/grime or stickiness anywhere.

Is it likely the tension on the wipers is too tight? Anyone know how to adjust it or have any other possible theories? I never had such an issue on my previous Fit!!

Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Mine were chattering a bit in light rain on the day I picked it up. We had heavy rain the next day - no chattering, and it hasn't returned since. My sample size is only three days since I bought it, tho. (c:

es

Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is making a squeaking sound when it reaches the highest point of the window. It was very annoying on my drive back to nj from nyc tonight. I can't make it go away.

On the bright side, I got 41mpg in mixed nyc and nj driving! not bad.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
The driver's side wiper clears the window and hits the roof so there's a thunk sound at the top of every wipe. Not a big deal really.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
OK, then mine isn't normal since it is a very high pitched squeak. Like annoyingly squeaky!

Old 09-14-2014, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
try cleaning them with rubbing alchohol and a lint free rag. i have a few of those alchohol wipes in the little packages (from a first aid kit) in my glovebox for this very reason.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:22 AM
I noticed during a test drive that the Fit now has the one piece low profile "bow" wiper blades (not sure what else to call them). The backbone of the blade is some kind of plastic spring that is supposed to spread the force of the wiper arm across the wiper insert that touches the glass. The conventional wiper blade assembly pressed down on the wiper insert in four places instead of the single spot on the new Honda wiper blade. You can be sure that this was a cost cutting move.

I suspect that this is the cause of the squeaking and chattering problem on the Fit. I have owned several VW's with this kind of wiper blade and all had problems of making noise and chattering across the glass. The problem could be minimized by using RainX on the windshield.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Mine was doing the exact same thing the other day. It was very annoying.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:43 AM
I haven't noticed a problem on mine, before and after I waxed the windshield. Maybe try wiping the blades and cleaning the windshield with a clay bar if it doesn't feel 100% smooth?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by happy2000hk
Just had my first rainy day since getting my new Fit 3 weeks ago, so had a chance to use my wipers. I noticed it is squeaking on every wipe. It seems to squeak louder when it's wet, and not as loud when it's dry.

I don't think this is worth my time to bring into the dealer to inspect, and I can't find any dirt/grime or stickiness anywhere.

Is it likely the tension on the wipers is too tight? Anyone know how to adjust it or have any other possible theories? I never had such an issue on my previous Fit!!
Hi happy2000hk,

Sorry to hear about your windshield wiper squeaking issue. We would like to review the situation with you to see what we could do to assist. Please private message us with your VIN, mileage, and dealer so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Jonathan
Social Media Team
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Twitter: @HondaCustSvc

Old 09-19-2014, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
I have it too but it's not all the time. If it is really raining hard, it's OK, but in lighter rains it makes squeaking noises after it wipes several times from the start of the wipes.

All I can find is the springs on the wipers has a larger spring for the driver side because the wiper is bigger too. If you pull up on that same driver wiper at the start, low position, you'll feel less tension than what it is at the top position, so the downward force on the wiper is more at the top position of the wipe where the squeak occurs.

If you look at the angle of the windshield and compare it to the driver's wipers pivot housing, you'll see that the it is a steeper angle on the pivot than the windshield. So the downward force of the wiper gets stronger as it goes upward.

All I can figure is that wiper is really pressing hard at the upper stroke with all that downward force on the windshield due to the angle difference at that point.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:37 PM
My parents just bought a brand new 2014 Civic and we have the same problem. Either have squeeky windows or too much water to see out of. I think it must be something with the type of wiper Honda is using. I Rain-X'ed it and it helped a little. It is getting better the more I use them. The rubber may just have to break in a bit.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
No rain

In southern California we are in the middle of a historic drought so there isn't any rain to use the wipers on.

I did notice that the wiper blade arm on the passenger side does vibrate when stopped at a red light. Nothing else appears to be vibrating and the car is very quiet, and very solid when stopped except for the wiper blade on the passenger side.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm getting mine checked out at the dealer tomorrow. I'll post back and see what they say about it. Not a big deal, but this is the type of annoyance I would only expect in a car like a Kia.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
My '09 did the same when I bought it new. Take the passenger side wiper off and flip it around. Problem solved.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by happy2000hk
I'm getting mine checked out at the dealer tomorrow. I'll post back and see what they say about it. Not a big deal, but this is the type of annoyance I would only expect in a car like a Kia.
That's funny. I see this a lot on message boards--when people want to bring up an example of a crappy car company, they pick on Kia. In case you hadn't noticed, Kia has been consistently making excellent cars for a while now. I currently drive an 8-year old Kia, and the wipers have never squeaked (they work extremely well). In fact, all the reports of problems with the new Fit are scaring me because my Kia has been so reliable and I don't want to exchange it for a new car that is having a lot of first-year issues.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
The issue is some raised lettering/dots on the passenger side wiper blade. Just flip it over. Guaranteed to solve your problem. Been there / done that.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
The driver's side wiper clears the window and hits the roof so there's a thunk sound at the top of every wipe. Not a big deal really.
I am getting a similar thunk sound when the driver side blade (28 inches) reaches the top of its stroke. It is not hitting the roof. The thunk seems to happen when the blade changes direction at the top of the stroke and the blade flips. I find it very annoying and hope there is a solution to this. Would a better quality aftermarket blade solve this? Maybe a blade that has a bracket (seems like the original equipment blades are bracketless)? Any ideas?

Last edited by cloud11244; 09-25-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: More information
Old 10-06-2014, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Just reporting back after a few weeks since my original report....I used some alcohol and cleaned the blades. The sound went away if I used the wipers on a dry surface, or if I just used my wiper fluid. But yesterday, we had heavy rain all day so I finally got to test it again. Bad news, the sound is back, and just as squeaky as the first time. It was driving me insane. I took it to the dealer the same day, and he said it's not normal, so he had to order a new set of wipers for me. However, it wasn't in stock so I have to wait a week, and won't get to test in a wet environment. He also said it won't guarantee it'll fix the issue. I'm at a loss on what the issue if it's not an issue with the blades, but I'll report back once I get them newly installed.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:01 PM
m_x
Mine don't squeak, but they kind of suck... I will probably change the blades at some point in the near future.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers Squeaky